Author Topic: What TV series are you currently watching?  (Read 198304 times)

Online drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
Re: What TV series are you currently watching?
« Reply #1940 on: August 30, 2020, 04:55:03 AM »
The did set I watched, pictured above, had seven parts.

Maybe it's only the Region 1 discs that are in 6 parts.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #1941 on: September 11, 2020, 12:07:42 AM »
Broadchurch, Season 1.

Finally catching up on Broadchurch via Britbox. Now I see why so much praise was heaped on this series. Just brilliant. Starting Series 2 this weekend.

Alternating this with a first watch of:

If only to lighten the mood  :laugh:
Olivier

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #1942 on: September 11, 2020, 04:36:02 AM »
Broadchurch, Season 1.

Finally catching up on Broadchurch via Britbox. Now I see why so much praise was heaped on this series. Just brilliant. Starting Series 2 this weekend.

Alternating this with a first watch of:

If only to lighten the mood  :laugh:

Broadchurch is epoch-making stuff IMO. It kickstarted series like Shetland, Hinterland, Trapped.

Season 2 of the finnish series Deadwind:

Not as good as Trapped (an icelandic crime series in 2 seasons), but good nonetheless. I’d rate them in this order: Broadchurch, Shetland, Trapped, Hinterland and Deadwind.

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #1943 on: September 11, 2020, 04:45:26 AM »
Broadchurch is epoch-making stuff IMO. It kickstarted series like Shetland, Hinterland, Trapped.

Season 2 of the finnish series Deadwind:

Not as good as Trapped (an icelandic crime series in 2 seasons), but good nonetheless. I’d rate them in this order: Broadchurch, Shetland, Trapped, Hinterland and Deadwind.

Hi André,

Broadchurch feels indeed quite a few notches above anything else. Tennant and Coleman's acting just draw you in. I can't remember feeling knots in the stomach like that right from the off in a first episode.

I absolutely loved the Hinterland series in its own way, the darkness, the stillness, the bleak atmospheres. That you rate Shetland above that is a good sign. I have Shetland in my Britbox list as well. Never seen that one. I'll have to remedy to that.
Olivier

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #1944 on: September 11, 2020, 09:13:31 AM »
I loved the characters in Shetland. And the accents  8). Make sure to put subtitles on, this is not your regular british-accented English. I wish there was another season.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1945 on: September 11, 2020, 12:08:15 PM »
Hi André,

Broadchurch feels indeed quite a few notches above anything else. Tennant and Coleman's acting just draw you in. I can't remember feeling knots in the stomach like that right from the off in a first episode.

I absolutely loved the Hinterland series in its own way, the darkness, the stillness, the bleak atmospheres. That you rate Shetland above that is a good sign. I have Shetland in my Britbox list as well. Never seen that one. I'll have to remedy to that.

You mention Tennant, Olivier. I'm looking forward to "Des" which begins Monday on ITV. The likeness of Tennant to Britain's most successful serial killer Dennis Nilsen is uncanny.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #1946 on: September 11, 2020, 12:19:31 PM »
You mention Tennant, Olivier. I'm looking forward to "Des" which begins Monday on ITV. The likeness of Tennant to Britain's most successful serial killer Dennis Nilsen is uncanny.

Saw the trailer for that one, Lol, it looks like a must-watch too.

I had never heard of Des/Dennis Nilsen, obviously way before my arrival in the UK but not a name i had come across since either.

Will be interesting to see Tennant in such a nasty role.

This household is very fond of Daniel Mays' acting, who also appears in it. That's an added bonus.
Olivier

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1947 on: September 12, 2020, 02:31:44 AM »
Saw the trailer for that one, Lol, it looks like a must-watch too.

I had never heard of Des/Dennis Nilsen, obviously way before my arrival in the UK but not a name i had come across since either.

Will be interesting to see Tennant in such a nasty role.

This household is very fond of Daniel Mays' acting, who also appears in it. That's an added bonus.

I do recall the Nilsen saga. A truly evil man. I have read that the most gruesome parts (unintentional pun) will only be referred to. I do not know of Daniel May but according to the reviews I have read he steals it as the copper on Nilsen's trail. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #1948 on: September 14, 2020, 01:01:54 PM »

Excellent 5-hour documentary on all aspects of the second Gulf War, particularly on the decision-making and in-fighting in the White House, starting on the night of 9/11 when the first memo was written asking to find a way of connecting this to Iran up to early 2008 when the doco was aired and it was still unclear which candidate this would be handed over to.

Also rewatching The Night Manager, which holds up really well on a second viewing

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:07:13 PM by SimonNZ »

Online drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #1949 on: September 14, 2020, 03:08:34 PM »

I have the first episode and will wait until I have all of them to start watching.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #1950 on: September 14, 2020, 05:29:41 PM »
One of them parts their hair the wrong way!

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1951 on: September 14, 2020, 11:19:39 PM »
     I have the first episode and will wait until I have all of them to start watching.

That is my plan. Set for weekend and wiz through adverts.