What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: drogulus on July 12, 2019, 02:39:30 PM
     My TV habits seem to get more Nordic over time. I'm watching Beck, kind of a Swedish precursor to Wallander, even to the point of a daughter he doesn't get along with, along with everyone else. The best character is a neighbor, who is a little bit eccentric.

Then it will be off to Iceland for the second season of Trapped.

Two actors played the part of Beck, in different series obviously. I recall the ending being pretty bleak with him sitting alone looking out to sea. We watched them all. "Chase the Money" in two series is also enjoyable, French I think. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SimonNZ

not where I would have imagined Jim From The Office ending up

watchable, but not at all essential

drogulus

I'm watching Charité at War, about a Berlin hospital in 1943. It's a German production for Netflix. I only just found out that it follows an earlier series set in the same hospital in the late 19th century. I'll watch that one, too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Jo498

Quote from: drogulus on July 28, 2019, 08:14:00 AM

I'm watching Charité at War, about a Berlin hospital in 1943. It's a German production for Netflix. I only just found out that it follows an earlier series set in the same hospital in the late 19th century. I'll watch that one, too.
My mother watched this on German TV. In the first series you get Virchow, Koch etc. something like the first 5 medicine Nobel laureates together with soapy storylines, I guess.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

George

Watching the new show Jett. Good heist/gangster/cops stuff here. At times nearly as dark as Breaking Bad got.

SonicMan46

Blue Bloods - Season 9 - streaming from Amazon - saw the first 8 seasons for free, but paid $29 for 22 episodes of the new season - Dave :)

Ken B

Quote from: drogulus on July 28, 2019, 08:14:00 AM

I liked the first one. Not quite accurate I think in some of its stances about credit, but a good drama. I won't have Netflix for a couple months but plan on watching the second one.

André

With Daniel Brühl as the alienist. One episode left. Weird.

North Star

Quote from: milk on May 31, 2019, 01:15:24 AM
HBO's Chernobyl

Extremely well-done show but, of course, very dark, very frightening, horrific and sad. Really great though.
Indeed.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SimonNZ

Recently:

Taken: supposedly a younger version of Liam Neeson's character developing his "very particular skillset", but you'll forget that in ten minutes, as it seems like they had a 24-ish story pre-written and just added the character name later. Not bad, but forgettable.

Castle Rock: better than I expected, and not at all the horror it seems to be advertised as. One episode (called "The Queen") was remakably good, as Sissy Spaceck battling dimentia negotiates random hoppings through the timeline of her life. That one is recommended as a stand alone for anyone who might not care for the whole thing.

Two episodes into:

And its as brilliant and as gut-punching as I'd heard. I'm especially admiring the way they avoid a lot of dramatic or suspense cliches.

Also listening to the podcast episodes by the creator and writer, which in its own way is just as essential as the show. He's clearly researched his subject to the point of being an expert.

Fëanor

I'm watching 'Dark', a Netflix German production ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_(TV_series)

Pretty good;  as sci-fi story involving time travel.  Pacing is spotty and it's not so easy to keep track of the characters:  there be younger and older version of many same person, and in some cases a person of a given age acting at different points in historical time.

I'm glad the NA version is dubbed in English if only because subtitles tend to cause eye strain with my aging eyes.

André

I didn't know that series, which seems to be iconic in the UK. It's almost strange to meet a police officer who seems to have a normal, successful family life  ::).

SimonNZ

[img height=300]

Doesn't seem to have ever been released on VHS or DVD but all four 1972 episodes are on YT at the moment and hold up pretty well after all these years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDE4VX_9Kk

Todd

Two different shows exposing the exploits of very bad billionaires.  Amazon forced me to finally binge-watch the first season of Billions.  Prior to this, I had seen only one episode from season four on a flight, and the episode seemed contrived in tone.  The first season strives for a more realistic approach - with the word "realistic" used in a qualified manner.  The dialogue is sharp and fast, the main characters are close to fully developed, with more information emerging through the season, and the settings are real-world.  The show is mainly a showcase for good acting, with all four of the leads doing solid work.  Damian Lewis mostly nails his American accent, with only a few struggles, and he plays greedy and rapacious and intense and driven very well indeed.  (That he was good as Henry VIII is not surprising.)  Paul Giamatti does conniving, manipulative, scheming, and vindictive, but some of his acting is over the top.  Both Maggie Siff and Malin Ackerman do good work as the wives, with Ackerman especially good as an up from nothing lioness protecting her family.  Sets, stories, etc are all good, but some of the dramatic devices are ridiculous, and the behavior of some people, especially on the law enforcement side, is rather difficult to believe.  As I watched, I got the feeling that none of the writers have had to go through internal audits - and yes, I know the show is inspired by the pursuit of Steve Cohen.  Still, the show is most entertaining in a pulpy way and when I get the chance, I will watch the next couple seasons at least.  I will also confess that the fourth episode did have some good writing by someone who obviously knows their Metallica.

Succession is more satirical and fun, and informed loosely by the shenanigans of Rupert Murdoch and his family, with a very Kennedy-clan-like boo-boo mixed in the overall storyline.  Shot with more jump cuts and hand-held cameras, creating a more energized visual style, and filled with over-the-top scenarios and characters, the show allows for plenty of scene chewing.  Kieran Culkin does wonders as the sharp-tongued, posturing, yet ultimately cowardly young brother, while Jeremy Strong does equally good work as the at first eager and then necessarily obsequious older brother.  But it is Brian Cox who dominates the screen as the stand-in for Rupert, and the show becomes even more interesting when he yells.  There's only one female character of note, which disappoints somewhat, but with so much gleeful goofiness, and some strong support from other character actors, I will eagerly await each week's new episode. 

One unexpected difference between the two shows is sound quality.  Streaming sound through Amazon for Billions is compressed and strident; streaming sound for Succession is most enjoyable.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

stingo

drogulus

I'm about to start Braquo Season 3, maybe tonight.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

George

SimonNZ

Elementary, season five

Little in the way of story arc. Lucy Liu seems to be phoning it in (though she does get to model an impressive and extensive wardrobe). Johnny Lee Miller goes bald for no good reason.

Marc

Forbrydelsen AKA The Killing.

Just finished season 1.
Danish TV series, with an exceptional police inspector, Sarah Lund, investigating the disgusting murder of a teenage girl, Nanna Birk Larsen.

It's a truly awesome series, but the last episode was a bit of a let-down. Too many unanswered questions. I can accept that in a series like Twin Peaks, but not in this very realistic one.

Despite that: The Killing got me completely hooked.

Not surprisingly in Scandinavian series or films, the cast is superb.
I love way Sofie Gråbøl is portraying the utterly stubborn Sarah Lund, going her own way.
Lund was due to move to Sweden to join her lover...

but... something gruesome happened.

And inspector Lund found herself in an extremely complex murder case.

Let's just summarize with: heartily recommended.