What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Enrico Pieranunzi / Marc Johnson / Joey Baron - Ballads (2006)

Bogey

Some great listening of late, folks.  This thread is becoming my favorite one to visit on this site.  Two of recent listening:

From 1956 with the likes of Coltrane, Donald Byrd, Horace Silver.  Decent enough, but I am still warming to this one.

Live from L.A. (1963).  This one almost has a Vince Guaraldi sound to it.  A really enjoyable album.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on April 17, 2017, 10:14:14 PM
My favorite Errol Garner record (Gems--Columbia LP)

Thanks for the vinyl shot. Always cool. Might you take a quick shot of the actual record.  Would like to see the label.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Kind of goes with the Evans recording above.

SimonNZ

Aaron Bell - After the Party's Over (1958)
Ran Blake - All That Is Tied (2006)

Miles Davis - Miles! Miles! Miles! (rec.1981 rel.1992)

George

Dave Brubeck - Time Signatures - A Career Retrospective

Found this 4CD set for $15 used yesterday, in like new condition. Listened to some of CD 1 and plan to get to more of it tonight after work. Up until now, I have only heard his Time Out and Time Further Out albums.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

James

Action is the only truth

James

Action is the only truth

James

Action is the only truth

James

Wayne Shorter's inspiration
Wayne Shorter talks about drawing his inspiration from a range of musicians - from Mozart to Art Tatum. The saxophonist then reminisces about working with Miles Davis, putting together Native Dancer with Milton Nascimento and his time in Weather Report. He also talks about making his latest album Without A Net, his first for the Blue Note label since 1970.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01sjs5g
Action is the only truth

aleazk

Bill Evans & Stan Getz - But Beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_eLn4B9MzQ&t=2699s

SimonNZ

The Complete Miles Davis At Montreux, discs 13 and 14 (the July 7, 1988 concert)

James

Action is the only truth

James

Action is the only truth

Mirror Image

Awesome, James. I haven't got to Sand or Atavachron yet, but they're coming for sure.

Working my way chronologically through Holdsworth's solo discography with his first, I.O.U. -

SimonNZ

Mark O'Leary / Cuong Vu / Tom Rainey - Waiting (2006)
Johnny Dyani ‎– African Bass (1980)

James

Action is the only truth

James

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 21, 2017, 09:10:05 PMWorking my way chronologically through Holdsworth's solo discography with his first, I.O.U. -

Doing the same here, starting my morning with Secrets right now .. I.O.U. has a lot of really great stuff on it, the hallmarks are all there. You'll notice that with just about any guitarist out there .. you can hear their influences, not really the case with Allan Holdsworth .. and that is really rare, he sounds like no one else. He was truly original & innovative. I always feel in a sense privileged to have come into contact with his beautiful thing, an ear & mind opener! An epiphany for me as a guitar player!
Action is the only truth

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on April 22, 2017, 02:49:04 AM
Doing the same here, starting my morning with Secrets right now .. I.O.U. has a lot of really great stuff on it, the hallmarks are all there. You'll notice that with just about any guitarist out there .. you can hear their influences, not really the case with Allan Holdsworth .. and that is really rare, he sounds like no one else. He was truly original & innovative. I always feel in a sense privileged to have come into contact with his beautiful thing, an ear & mind opener! An epiphany for me as a guitar player!

Oh yes, Holdsworth had an original conception of the guitar and no one will ever sound like him. I always hate it when guitarists try to emulate him because it just makes them come off as half-hearted and simply not believable. Holdsworth came out swinging and he died swinging. A total singular voice for sure, which is no easy feat for a guitarist.

James

Action is the only truth