Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arpeggio

Although he is not everybody's cup of tea I have always been a fan of Danielpour.

[asin]B083N38FHJ[/asin]

Mirror Image

Ben-Haim's String Quartet! What a marvelous work.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dowder on July 12, 2020, 05:52:47 AM
Some Havergal Brian symphonies. Quite enjoyable.

Well, I'm glad someone enjoys them. ;)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 12, 2020, 06:46:53 AM
Well, I'm glad someone enjoys them. ;)

Nos. 1, 6-10 and 16 are the ones I do enjoy very much, but overall I'm not a sucker for his music either.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 12, 2020, 01:52:10 PM
Nos. 1, 6-10 and 16 are the ones I do enjoy very much, but overall I'm not a sucker for his music either.

The Gothic is certainly an impressive feat, but I'm afraid so much of his music just goes in one ear and out the other. There's plenty of people here who love his music, though, as I believe his composer thread has one of the highest number of pages --- 398 pages and still going.

kyjo

Some recent stunners:

Bloch: Trois Poèmes Juifs

[asin]B000001SH1[/asin]

Similarly to his symphonic suite Evocations, this is Bloch in full-on exotic, colorful mode. The moods and atmospheres he creates in this work are really compelling - by turns sensuous, mystical, and threatening. Superb stuff.

Suk: Asrael Symphony and Piano Quintet

[asin]B001N26H0G[/asin]
[asin]B0882N61TH[/asin]

I had previously heard both of these works before and enjoyed them, but these recordings really brought them to life for me and now they are firm favorites of mine. Suk is a composer I love more and more. The Asrael Symphony is, of course, one of his masterpieces (a nod to the "Hurwitzer" for recommending the superb Helsinki/Ashkenazy recording). While being a work of great emotional power, it's also quite subtle and its harmonic language can be a bit difficult to grasp. Listening to it with a score really revealed to me the genius and sophistication of Suk's orchestration (and writing in general) in this work. And that ending is cathartic beyond words! Suk's chamber output doesn't seem to get discussed much, but it's of such high quality. His Piano Quintet is revealed to be a passionate, engaging work of stature in this superlative performance.

Kabalevsky - Symphony no. 4

[asin]B001C7D278[/asin]

This composer never fails to impress me greatly. The first two movements of this symphony show Kabalevsky at his darkest (the first concludes with...wait for it...a truly doomed processional)! 8) The last two movements are lighter in tone but it hardly matters when the music is so witty and engaging. I particularly loved Kabalevsky's use of orchestral piano in its bass register throughout the work, reminding me a bit of Prokofiev.

Beethoven - Serenade in D major for string trio, op. 8

[asin]B00IIZ2908[/asin]

I would usually never dream of calling a Beethoven work "underrated", but I think this early Serenade fits the bill (compared to most of his other works, at least). Sheer delightful invention from start to finish. I think I prefer it to any of the op. 18 quartets, for example (not that I dislike those, just that I like the Serenade better)! And I simply can't imagine a better performance than the one here.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

And some more.....

Sadao Bekku (1922-2012): Symphony no. 1 (Ireland NSO/Yuasa)

https://youtu.be/KuOCRfDpYTA

It's always interesting to hear the music of non-Western composers. This eclectic symphony by the Japanese composer Sadao Bekku improves with each movement. The first movement is atmospheric but not particularly memorable, the scherzo is violent and uneasy, and the slow movement is somber and haunting with chorale-like textures. Best of all is the finale, which unexpectedly moves into Shostakovich/Prokofiev/Kabalevsky territory complete with a jaunty, catchy main theme, hi-jinks from the xylophone, and a surprise ending. Well worth investigating!

Wetz: Symphony no. 2

[asin]B00004HYO0[/asin]

This exceeded my expectations, to be honest. I was expecting "Bruckner-lite" given the frequent comparisons with that composer, but this turned out to be gorgeous, life-affirming symphony of plenty of individuality and heart. Wetz's orchestration is nothing short of remarkable, very fluent with frequent coloration from the harp. Firmly recommended to lovers of Austro/Germanic late-romanticism.

Hartmann - Symphony no. 6 (Netherlands Radio PO/Poppen)

[asin]B00H1EOR3Y[/asin]

It's been a while since I've listened to any of this composer's music, and it was high time I gave it another spin. It's not hard to see why this bipartite symphony is often regarded as his finest - it's a work of blistering intensity. Not an "easy" listen perhaps, but hardly inaccessible. I think it would appeal to admirers of William Schuman, for example. I was gripped throughout. I love the visibly disturbed image of the composer on the cover - his expression very clearly matches his music!

Foerster - Cello Sonata no. 1

[asin]B000025GYI[/asin]

What else I've heard of Foerster's music has been pleasant without being particularly compelling. This sonata, however, is in a different league. It's shot through with a very personal, distinctly Czech, melancholy lyricism which is quite moving. The music often moves in unexpected harmonic directions and exhibits frequent character changes. An unexpectedly wonderful discovery.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Symphonic Addict

A good selection, Kyle.

I had listened to the 4th Symphony by Bekku but I didn't find it too much interesting. I could like the 2nd better.

The Kabalevsky is the best of his symphonies IMO.

Have you ever heard Foerster's string quartets? They have that melancholy nature found in the cello sonata as you say (which I haven't listened to it yet).

Wetz's 2nd Symphony is my favorite by him. The other two tend to be less memorable.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 13, 2020, 10:09:48 AM
A good selection, Kyle.

I had listened to the 4th Symphony by Bekku but I didn't find it too much interesting. I could like the 2nd better.

The Kabalevsky is the best of his symphonies IMO.

Have you ever heard Foerster's string quartets? They have that melancholy nature found in the cello sonata as you say (which I haven't listened to it yet).

Wetz's 2nd Symphony is my favorite by him. The other two tend to be less memorable.

Thanks, Cesar. The 1st Symphony was the first work by Bekku I've heard, it's not a masterpiece by any means but it certainly kept my attention. I'm intrigued to hear his other works.

I haven't heard Foerster's SQs, but your comment has encouraged me to give them a spin. Another work I like by him is his Shakespeare Suite for orchestra.

Regarding Wetz, I've heard positive things about his 3rd Symphony, VC, and Requiem. Even if they're not quite as good as the 2nd Symphony, they should be worth hearing.

relm1

Quote from: kyjo on July 12, 2020, 08:27:07 PM
And some more.....

Sadao Bekku (1922-2012): Symphony no. 1 (Ireland NSO/Yuasa)

https://youtu.be/KuOCRfDpYTA

I really like this!  Will look for more works by this composer.

arpeggio

Big Persichetti fan.

[asin]B00HFDKSU2[/asin]

Contains world premier recording of recently discover Sonata for Violin.  The opening piece, the "Sonata for Violin and Piano" opus 15 had previously been unknown. The violinist on this recording, Hasse Borup, discovered the piece after a good deal of digging at the New York Public Library.

arpeggio

John Robertson

[asin]B07D57WC3N[/asin]

When I first listened to this CD I was not impressed.  After repeated listenings I am partially blown away.  Maybe a breeze.

Anyone else familiar with his works?

kyjo

Quote from: relm1 on July 15, 2020, 06:17:20 AM
I really like this!  Will look for more works by this composer.

Awesome! 8)

TheGSMoeller

First time listening to Lithuanian born composer Onutė Narbutaitė (b. 1956). The piece was Three Symphonies of the Mother of God (2003), from the recording below. Her music creates such a beautiful, and mysterious atmosphere. Filled with colorful orchestrations, and a hauntingly sounding choir. I just ordered the CD, and am ready to explore more of her music.
Anyone here familiar with Narbutaitė?

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 18, 2020, 09:34:06 AM
First time listening to Lithuanian born composer Onutė Narbutaitė (b. 1956). The piece was Three Symphonies of the Mother of God (2003), from the recording below. Her music creates such a beautiful, and mysterious atmosphere. Filled with colorful orchestrations, and a hauntingly sounding choir. I just ordered the CD, and am ready to explore more of her music.
Anyone here familiar with Narbutaitė?

I was just talking about her with a friend of mine the other day. I haven't really heard much of her music, but from what I've heard, it's not really my cup of tea. It seems outside of two Naxos recordings, her music is difficult to come by seeing as some of her music has appeared on the long-defunct Finlandia label. You could probably find these recordings in the used market. I remember the recording of her 2nd symphony being rather pricey.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 18, 2020, 09:51:45 AM
I was just talking about her with a friend of mine the other day. I haven't really heard much of her music, but from what I've heard, it's not really my cup of tea. It seems outside of two Naxos recordings, her music is difficult to come by seeing as some of her music has appeared on the long-defunct Finlandia label. You could probably find these recordings in the used market. I remember the recording of her 2nd symphony being rather pricey.

Hi, John.
I found that other Naxos disc but you're right, outside of those two recordings are not easy to come by. Her music may not be very accessible to a mass audience, but I'm so taken by the unique tone the music presents, it's cosmically free.

Symphonic Addict

WOW!!! Poulenc's Organ Concerto on this recording is cracking!!! I had not heard a more tremendous performance of this masterpiece before. There were several goosebump-inducing moments throughout. I'm in awe with this work!!

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 18, 2020, 03:38:32 PM

WOW!!! Poulenc's Organ Concerto on this recording is cracking!!! I had not heard a more tremendous performance of this masterpiece before. There were several goosebump-inducing moments throughout. I'm in awe with this work!!

Yep, it's a fantastic work.