Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke (+ 1 Hidden) and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 01, 2014, 09:13:00 AM
Have you heard the symphony live yet, Daniel? The Adagio is staggering live. I've heard Sinopoli, Barenboim and Welser-Möst (the most impressive of the three actually) but missed Celi  :(

Sarge

Just once, Sarge. Last year at the Proms - Philharmonia/Salonen, it was absolutely excellent, plus they had David Jackson on cymbals and he's my personal favourite cymbalist :p Really was an incredible performance, got amazing reviews too.

Definitely need to hear Celi's Bruckner 7th very soon.. I can imagine how his Adagio would be! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brahmsian

Quote from: karlhenning on January 01, 2014, 08:43:32 AM
This morning, I listened again to "Sarge's Seventh," the Chailly/Berlin Radio Symphony CD.  I love this stuff!  Could listen to the Adagio on repeat forever.

Mmm, my sentiments regarding the Adagio echo yours, Karl.  :)

Leo K.

I've been on a Bruckner binge since Christmas. In particular, I've been exploring the old guard; Knappertsbusch, Horenstein, Jochum, Barbirolli and William Steinberg. William Steinberg is becoming a favorite Brucknerian. There's a bunch of his broadcasts (with the BPO) on the MetroGnome blog and they sound fantastic. statework.blogspot.com

Knappertsbusch is very memorable, moving, and full of exciting twists and turns.

Leo K.

By the way, I haven't heard any of Carl Schuricht's Bruckner, whats a good affordable place to start?

Cato

Quote from: Leo K. on January 06, 2014, 12:31:15 PM
By the way, I haven't heard any of Carl Schuricht's Bruckner, what a good affordable place to start?

He did an incredible Ninth on Angel in the late 1950's early 1960's.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

trung224

Welcome to old-world Bruckner, Leo K. If you interested in Schuricht, I think you should grab the Schuricht- EMI Icon boxset. The Bruckner 3rd, 8th and 9th in this box are the best from Schuricht at very good stereo sound and modest price too. There are more Bruckner from him on Hanssler label (4th,5th,7th,8th,9th), but most of them are on mono sound (except the Fifth), and the playing from Orchestra are not as polished as VPO.
  Of course, Schuricht left the magnificent Fifth with VPO on DG( but it is OOP now) and the better Seventh with Hague Orchestra, which is only available on the expensive Scribendum boxset.

Leo K.

Quote from: trung224 on January 06, 2014, 01:00:53 PM
   Welcome to old-world Bruckner, Leo K. If you interested in Schuricht, I think you should grab the Schuricht- EMI Icon boxset. The Bruckner 3rd, 8th and 9th in this box are the best from Schuricht at very good stereo sound and modest price too. There are more Bruckner from him on Hanssler label (4th,5th,7th,8th,9th), but most of them are on mono sound (except the Fifth), and the playing from Orchestra are not as polished as VPO.
  Of course, Schuricht left the magnificent Fifth with VPO on DG( but it is OOP now) and the better Seventh with Hague Orchestra, which is only available on the expensive Scribendum boxset.

Thanks man! I'll start with the Schuricht IMI box!

Leo K.

I've got the new remastered versions of the Schuricht EMI Bruckner recordings, the B8 and B9 that is, and it's radiant to hear!

Next up, the Skrowaczewski cycle.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on January 08, 2014, 09:44:26 AMNext up, the Skrowaczewski cycle.

An excellent cycle, Leo. Skrowaczewski brings so much energy to Bruckner, but his approach reminds me a bit of Tennstedt. If I'm not mistaken, he favors slower tempi, but not Celibidache slow. ;) 8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2014, 10:32:27 AM
An excellent cycle, Leo. Skrowaczewski brings so much energy to Bruckner, but his approach reminds me a bit of Tennstedt. If I'm not mistaken, he favors slower tempi, but not Celibidache slow. ;) 8)

Thanks man, I'm glad it's not Celi-slow, I'm excited to hear his ideas with Bruckner. I'm loving these old guard recordings.

I have a broadcast of Tennstedt leading the CSO in the B8, wow, that CSO brass is enchanting. It seems Tennstedt is better to listen to when live. There seems to be a pressing energy in the performance.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on January 08, 2014, 12:16:52 PM
Thanks man, I'm glad it's not Celi-slow, I'm excited to hear his ideas with Bruckner. I'm loving these old guard recordings.

I have a broadcast of Tennstedt leading the CSO in the B8, wow, that CSO brass is enchanting. It seems Tennstedt is better to listen to when live. There seems to be a pressing energy in the performance.

Yeah, you'll enjoy Skrowaczewski, Leo. Will be interested to read what you think about his conducting. I don't really know much about Tennstedt as his repertoire isn't always up my alley, but his Bruckner recordings are quite good.

North Star

I really liked the Skrowaczewski recordings I've heard (7, 8 & 9)

I'm definitely trying to not buy this...
[asin]B00EXS4OVQ[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

trung224

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2014, 10:32:27 AM
Really, MI. I think Tennstedt and Skrowacszewski and Tennstedt are very different, especially in Bruckner. Skrowacszewski (even in live performance) always favors thoughtful interpretation with moderate tempo, while Tennstedt usually uses rubato to create tension. Tennstedt ´Bruckner are among the fastest, as I recall 72 minutes for the Fourth and 75 minutes for the Eight.

Mirror Image

Quote from: trung224 on January 08, 2014, 02:07:03 PM
   Really, MI. I think Tennstedt and Skrowacszewski and Tennstedt are very different, especially in Bruckner. Skrowacszewski (even in live performance) always favors thoughtful interpretation with moderate tempo, while Tennstedt usually uses rubato to create tension. Tennstedt ´Bruckner are among the fastest, as I recall 72 minutes for the Fourth and 75 minutes for the Eight.

Shows what I know, which is very little. :) I haven't listened to Skrowacszewski or Tennstedt in years and I don't see me listening to them in the future any time soon. If I'm going to listen to Bruckner, I usually just pull out a Wand recording. He suits my Bruckner tastes just fine. 8)

trung224

No problems, MI.  :) Classical music is not only Bruckner. Even I, a Bruckner nut, now spend more time to Scandinavian composer like Laangaard, Svendsen, Atterberg than Bruckner :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: trung224 on January 08, 2014, 02:57:42 PM
  No problems, MI.  :) Classical music is not only Bruckner. Even I, a Bruckner nut, now spend more time to Scandinavian composer like Laangaard, Svendsen, Atterberg than Bruckner :D

Speaking of Scandinavian composers, I'm getting reacquainted with Nielsen and loving every minute of it. Such an awesome composer. Strangely enough, he was actually one of the first composers I got into.

trung224

Speaking of Wand, today I have a chance to hear his live recording Bruckner 8th in Tokyo with NDR Orchestra on Altus . Overall his interpretation is not very different when comparing with his live Lübeck Cathedral or his live BPO, but the phrasing is much more personal and raw than the BPO one, and the sound is less reverb than the Lübeck recordings. Personally, I will rank this one as the best from eight or nine  Bruckner 8th from him

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2014, 12:22:11 PM
Yeah, you'll enjoy Skrowaczewski, Leo. Will be interested to read what you think about his conducting. I don't really know much about Tennstedt as his repertoire isn't always up my alley, but his Bruckner recordings are quite good.

Indeed, Skrowaczewski's cycle is fantastic so far! Great sound quality too. Aces!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on January 13, 2014, 02:40:10 PM
Indeed, Skrowaczewski's cycle is fantastic so far! Great sound quality too. Aces!

Nice avatar. 8) Glad you're enjoying Skrowaczewski's cycle.