What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: aligreto on April 23, 2021, 01:56:24 AM
You seem to have a very precocious daughter  8)

This set has been one of my favourite interpretations since I first heard it a long time ago. Yes, they are on the contemplative, and sometimes dark, side I feel but I like his approach and playing. It is not over emotional but it certainly is not academic or sterile either. I really like the sound of the instrument used which was caught in a warm acoustic, which very much favours the instrument. I think that he does a particularly fine job in the last suite.
I have not heard his other two interpretations.

As far as can recall, this is the interpretation closest to those of his teacher, Anner Bijlsma.
He later moved away from that and, IMO, away from the realm of Baroque.

Bijlsma II (Sony) is stil a personal favourite!  :)

Harry

New acquisition, first listen.

Josef Holbrooke.
Symphonic Poem III.

The birds of Rhiannon, Poem.
The Girl I left behind me, Symphonic Variations.
Symphony No 3 "Ships".

Deutsche Radio Philharmonie Saarbrücken Kaiserslautern, Howard Griffiths.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

aligreto

Quote from: Que on April 23, 2021, 02:03:13 AM
As far as can recall, this is the interpretation closest to those of his teacher, Anner Bijlsma.

I actually have the Bijlsma on Sony. I never thought to compare the two.

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 23, 2021, 01:53:36 AM
Yes, Jan, it is all about seeking that interpretation that makes the most meaning of any given piece of music for us. Music is such a visceral thing and affects everyone differently, obviously. Hence the existence of such boards as these.  :)

Hi Fergus, I am waiting for a recording this afternoon with a pianist I had never heard of. His musical career has ended for many years because of his conversion to Catholicism and the priesthood.
It is a recording made in the small hall of the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam.
From what I have read, the recording is very good even if it is a live recording from 1976.
It will be delivered later this afternoon.

Harry

New acquisition, first listen.

Einojuhani Rautavaara.

Cello concerto No. 2 "Towards the Horizon".
Modificata.
Percussion Concerto "Incantations".

Helsinki PO, John Storgards.
Colin Currie, Percussion.
Truls Mork, Cello.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Brahmsian

Quote from: springrite on April 22, 2021, 06:09:42 PM
I was just listening to this in the car.

My daughter noticed the difference sound, since it's played on a baroque cello (Violoncello Piccolo, was it called?). She commented that "this is wonderful but it sounds like a cello with a bad cold". (I am glad she didn't say COVID).

Could have been worse. If played on a viola da gamba, it would sound like a dying, moaning cow.  :D

prémont

Well, played on a "usual" 4 stringed modern set up cello many of the high tessitura sequences in the prelude of the sixth suite under some hands sound like a crying or singing dog, particularly when the intonation isn't perfect - . and this is often the case.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Traverso

Messiaen

Right at the beginning of this recording you feel a kind of connection, I can hardly put my finger on what exactly it is that immediately attracts my attention. seems reflective of the intentions underlying this piece.
Even though I haven't heard everything yet, it is clear to me that this is one of the best recordings I know.

The recording is excellent with enough presence

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 22, 2021, 12:27:04 PM
I remember playing Sibelius 1 in my Youth Orchestra.  Given that I've had a career in professional orchestral playing, that performance still rates as one of my top 5 experiences........
Neat!  8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Artem

This is more on the electro-acoustic improvisation side of things.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 22, 2021, 11:28:47 PM
Shostakovich: 4th Symphony.

Kondrashin certainly lets rip in the big first movement. One section was like a gale-force wind from hell! You wonder what turn DSCH would have taken if his wings hadn't been clipped by his Soviet masters after this symphony.

N.B. No extraneous noises.
Would love to hear Kondrashin's recordings of Shostakovich.  Looks like you were listening to it on a Melodiya LP?
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on April 23, 2021, 02:03:13 AM

I have (and enjoy) his one from 1992 (recorded then).  I believe that was his second recording of it?  I remember hearing a recording with him at a friend's house.  Couldn't find that exact one, so I purchased this one:

PD

p.s.  I didn't know that Wispelwey had studied with Bylsma...interesting!
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Schubert, D960 in B flat major, Endres

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Olivier

Sergeant Rock

Shostakovich Cello Concerto No. 1 played by Sol Gabetta, Maazel conducting the Munich Phil

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Traverso

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 23, 2021, 04:52:29 AM
I have (and enjoy) his one from 1992 (recorded then).  I believe that was his second recording of it?  I remember hearing a recording with him at a friend's house.  Couldn't find that exact one, so I purchased this one:

PD

p.s.  I didn't know that Wispelwey had studied with Bylsma...interesting!

This the other one (1979)

Stürmisch Bewegt

I've a great fondness for Alessandro Scarlatti's music (Domenico's Dad), ever since I heard Il Giardino di Rose in that fine Decca recording from 2004.  So I recently picked-up this oratorio of his at a nice price :

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.