What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

kyjo

Quote from: The new erato on July 22, 2021, 11:22:49 PM
Wonderful works and a great disc even though slightly long in the tooth soundwise:

Why aren't there more recordings of these works (Orpheus Chamber Ensemble, I'm looking at you!)

A great disc, even if there are better versions of Schelomo out there.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2021, 12:03:47 AM
TD
Nino Rota: Symphony No.1 (1936-39)
I enjoyed this, rather sunny neo-classical, work. The affirmative conclusion reminded me of Braga Santos:

I was also reminded of Braga Santos. ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 23, 2021, 06:41:56 AM
Gliere, Joseph Jongen, Harp Concertos. Anneleen Lenaerts

Two gorgeous works!

kyjo

Mandryka

I've never heard it before, either the music or the performance. After an inauspicious start with some motets, when the mass finally kicks in, it's really sweet. If masses were like this all the time, I would start going to church.

Longhini really has a good way with music from the first half of the 16th century. This music from that period can so often sound like turgid and monotonous imitative counterpoint to me, with no relief, but somehow Longhini injects life into it. He's recorded a Gombert Magnificat on one of his Willaert discs and it kind of puts everyone else to shame!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

amw

Op. 132 and 133 from these:

////

The Alexander Op. 132 is a superlative recording in the tradition of the Busch & Quartetto Italiano (i.e., it's slow). The Pražák Op. 132 is also very good but didn't stand out in its particular tradition (Takács, Artemis). The Alexander Op. 133 is also slow, although not boring, and with an almost painful intensity at times, comparable to the Arditti Quartet. (It is placed after the alternative finale.) The Pražák Op. 133 is better coordinated and with superior ensemble work, although the intonation feels sharper; most comparable recordings were the Budapest and Smetana Quartets offhand. (It is placed before the alternative finale.) I definitely preferred the Pražák for at least the first ten minutes, but in cumulative emotional effect, Alexanders still placed slightly ahead overall. I will have to listen to both cycles in more detail.

(In the hope of restoring some balance, I also trialled both versions of the alternative finale, which the Pražáks win hands down.)

bhodges

Sigismond Thalberg: Grande Fantasie sur des motifs de l'Opera Don Pasquale, Op. 67 (Marc-André Hamelin, live at Schloss Vor Husum festival, 1994)

Found this recording (Danacord, 1995) after discussing Hamelin with a friend this morning, and probably my first encounter with Thalberg. Very much in the grand, florid pianistic tradition, with Hamelin at his athletic best. Not sure it will get much air time in my household, but as a brilliant divertissement, it will do just fine.  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_DhK-rymHo

--Bruce

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on July 24, 2021, 09:00:56 AM

I've never heard it before, either the music or the performance. After an inauspicious start with some motets, when the mass finally kicks in, it's really sweet. If masses were like this all the time, I would start going to church.

Longhini really has a good way with music from the first half of the 16th century. This music from that period can so often sound like turgid and monotonous imitative counterpoint to me, with no relief, but somehow Longhini injects life into it. He's recorded a Gombert Magnificat on one of his Willaert discs and it kind of puts everyone else to shame!

Sounds like a winner!  :)

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Arnold Schoenberg
Verklärte Nacht, op. 4
Pelleas und Melisande, op. 5

Berlin Philharmonic - Herbert von Karajan

More early Schoenberg today.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Que

Traverso

Karl Henning

Quote from: Traverso on July 23, 2021, 04:09:22 AM
Enescu

CD 1

Prelude and Fugue in G major
Nocturne
Scherzo
Pièce sur le nom de Fauré

Listening on YouTube
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Traverso

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 24, 2021, 11:44:48 AM
Listening on YouTube

I'm curious what your verdict will be.I have still not listened to  piano sonata 1 & 3

Karl Henning

Quote from: Traverso on July 24, 2021, 11:52:59 AM
I'm curious what your verdict will be.I have still not listened to  piano sonata 1 & 3

Enjoying it very well so far.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Undersea

Now Playing:

Mozart: String Quartet #19, "Dissonance"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA