What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 18, 2020, 12:06:55 PM
With the Karayev and Parsadanian it increasingly looks like you have my record collection over there! The end of the Parsadanian symphony commemorating the 'Commissars of Baku' is very moving. You have to hear Kalabis's Symphony No.2 'Sinfonia Pacis'.

Now playing. I continue to listen to this CD right through from beginning to end with much emotional pleasure:

Oh yes, we have very similar record collections, indeed. ;) Both of these Parsadanian symphonies are extremely fine. I'll give a listen to the Kalabis tonight. I'm ripping it to my iPod right now. 8)

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on June 18, 2020, 08:47:37 AM
I actually sampled a bit of this on You Tube today and although I couldn't face 40 minutes of it I could begin to detect something of interest there. First time I have listened to Boulez I think.

I have found that the later the Boulez piece is chronologically, the easier it is for me.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 16, 2020, 05:14:57 PM
Which recording do you refer to?

I believe the reviewer in question prefers the Naxos recording of the d'Albert symphony to the CPO one by a slight margin.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 16, 2020, 10:22:40 PM
How interesting! What is the music like please John? Also, may I ask you or any other Schnittke admirer - what are his most approachable works?
I have Symphony 2 'St Florian' which didn't make much impression on me and the Piano Quintet, which did make a big impression on me.

Try the SQ no. 3, Requiem, or 1st Cello Concerto. I don't know his symphonies as well as I should.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Brian

Also the 9th, but Schubert (aka really the 8th) and Boston/Munch

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on June 18, 2020, 01:14:30 PM
Try the SQ no. 3, Requiem, or 1st Cello Concerto. I don't know his symphonies as well as I should.
Thank you Kyle - the Requiem is en-route.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on June 18, 2020, 12:42:43 PM
I have found that the later the Boulez piece is chronologically, the easier it is for me.
Interesting to know - thanks Jeffrey.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

Bruckner 5

[asin] B00ET820BQ[/asin]

On Sony Japan CDs.  Not sure I like the Philadelphia brass in Bruckner, I'm too used to that rounded Mitteleuropa  brass sound in other recordings. 

EDIT: Well the Adagio is gorgeous, and by the trio of the Scherzo I'm fully onboard.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Undersea

NP:

[asin]B00QSX2VLE[/asin]

Hovhaness: Symphony #48, Op. 355, "Vision of Andromeda"

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

"Papa"
"London Symphonies"
Cleveland
Szell
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 18, 2020, 01:48:43 PM
NP: The 9th -

Well, I didn't even make it to the 30 minute mark of this symphony without wanting to punch a wall...yes, it was that infuriating. As I mentioned in the Pettersson thread, I believe that his best works are the 6th, 7th and 8th symphonies. I will say that I could never count Pettersson amongst my favorite composers, because there's just not enough written from this composer that I enjoy, but that being said, I do believe the afore mentioned works are stunning and have each affected me in different ways and I do enjoy them whenever I revisit them on occasion.

Speaking of the 8th, now playing:

The introduction alone is worth the price of admission. Some of his most inspired writing, IMHO. I think Pettersson knew that the follow-up to what could possibly be his best symphony, the 7th, that the next symphony needed to be just as good or better. I think he succeeded here and Segerstam's performance is the best I've heard.

T. D.

Quote from: vandermolen on June 18, 2020, 09:39:16 AM
Well, John it had 'nothing of the circus about it'. It is very sombre and has a kind of dark poetry which I find engaging. Like you I had the set in the shrink-wrap for a long time. The first two symphonies were written in occupied Czechoslovakia. Kabeláč sounds like someone of great integrity. He was a musical director of Czechoslovakia  Radio but his wife was Jewish. He could either divorce or give up his job. Without hesitation he chose the latter course and it was only through the help of his friends that he probably survived the war years. His wife was a musician as well. I think that as you like Honegger this music, although different would appeal to you. The First Symphony for Strings and Percussion was not so far removed from Martinu's Concerto for Double String Orchestra or Honegger's Symphony No.2. All I can say is that Symphony No.2 was a revelation to me today and I immediately wanted to hear it again. It makes interesting use of the saxophone. The only one I knew before was No.5 for (wordless) Voice and Orchestra which I've always rather liked. So, not 'easy' music but tonal and darkly eloquent. I would give it a go!

Thanks, I'm going to give the box [Kabeláč symphonies] more serious consideration. Sounds as though I'd also enjoy #1, 2 and 5, and I like the Praga recording of #8, which I've had for over 20 years.

Mahlerian

Stravinsky: Pulcinella (full ballet)
Ann Murray, Antony Rolfe Johnson, Simon Estes, Ensemble Intercontemporain, cond. Boulez
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Symphonic Addict

I get the remarks about this is the first important German Romantic opera. Weber was a remarkable tunesmith and this opera has a bunch of memorable ideas. As a highlight of great beauty, Und ob die Wolke sie verhülle stood out. Sublime.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on June 18, 2020, 01:11:19 PM
I believe the reviewer in question prefers the Naxos recording of the d'Albert symphony to the CPO one by a slight margin.

Thanks, Kyle. I did check and it was the CPO recording. There were good reviews indeed.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

First-Listen Thursday -

NP: Symphony No. 2, Op. 18, "Sinfonia pacis"