Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Leos Violin Sonata JW VII/7
Claude Violin Sonata in g minor CD 148/L.140
Maurice Violin Sonata #2 in G major M77
Carl Violin Sonata #2 in g minor Op 36

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Uhor

Denisov often repeats himself but sometimes he just hits the spot right!

JBS

Sticking with Andsnes

Apres une lecture du Dante [Fantasia quasi Sonata][Années de pèlerinage 2e année: Italie S161]
Valse oubliée No 4 S215
Mephisto Waltz No 4 S696
Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth S534 No 3:Elegie [version 4]
Ballade No 2 in b minor S171
Mephisto Waltz No 2 S515
Harmonies poétiques et religieuses S173:IX Andante lagrimoso
Mephisto Waltz No 1 S514

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Cato

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 14, 2024, 03:34:53 PMWidor: Organ Symphonies 3 and 4

Completely majestic music. Refreshing my ears with these imposing works has been a neat idea. I wasn't keen on soft organ music till I heard these pieces. The slow movements of these symphonies are proving to be utterly beautiful.

Yes!  Widor is up there with Louis Vierne!

Recently, thanks to Dayton Classical Radio, a work which sounded rather contemporary:

Also, for some reason this work came to mind:

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

AnotherSpin

Que

PS I have listened to this recording before and it is very likable: nicely played, well recorded. But I do not get much out of it. I feel the performance is too even in phrasing and temperament. Also, I have a feeling that Eugene Ferré's strings (also in another recording I heard by him) were in the early '90s not quite up to (authentic) snuff....

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 14, 2024, 01:24:58 PMWalton: Symphony No.2

A superb rendition by Previn and his LSO in their pomp. Urgent with a strong base line makes this Walton 2 sound more propulsive and dynamic. 
I very much agree Lol.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

I am in the middle of some renovations in my listening room, so ya all have some rest from my incessant posting.
In effect that means I will listen in my office sporadically, for it will take at least another month before all is ready in the listening room. That is if all goods arrive in time. So I know you are all sad that I am temporarily out of the thread duty....or not, but for those interested, now you know ;D  ;D  ;D
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

DavidW

Bach songs from the Suzuki set.  Quite lovely, and I don't know if I've even listened to them before.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

Mozart - String Quartet #20 "Hoffmeister"
Quartetto Italiano

Olivier

Mandryka

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 15, 2024, 06:36:45 AMGood afternoon all,

Mozart - String Quartet #20 "Hoffmeister"
Quartetto Italiano

You're an Australian?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mandryka on May 15, 2024, 06:38:28 AMYou're an Australian?  Quelle horreur!

:laugh:

Nope, still Bonjour from him, Bonjour!

I just had enough of being a grumpy smoking Belgian football coach.

The Aussie Rules on BT sport (now Discovery +) made me become a Cat in Hoops instead  :P

Miaou!  8)
Olivier

Spotted Horses

Mozart, Symphony No 36, Pinnock

I never quite got this symphony, which seems to be the transition between the lighter early symphonies and the more substantial final four. Pinnock makes a good case for it.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Papy Oli

Another gorgeous Mozart traversal on the go:

Mozart - Piano Concerto No.22 K.482
Perahia / English Chamber Orchestra

Olivier

SonicMan46

Last few days, listening to CPE Bach's KB Concertos - own 4 discs w/ van Asperen & Remy, plus the 7 volumes on piano w/ Michael Rische - enjoy both approaches and hope that Rische continues - I left a longer more instructive post in the CPE Bach thread, if interested.  Dave

Papy Oli

Stenhammar

String Quartet #5 in C major
String Quartet in F minor

Stenhammar Quartet
(BIS)

Not really connecting with that cycle on this first visit.
Pleasant, but nothing more for now.
Olivier

VonStupp

Johann Nepomuk Hummel
Mass in D minor
Salve Regina

Susan Gritton, soprano
Pamela Helen Stephen, mezzo
Mark Padmore, tenor
Stephen Varcoe, baritone
Collegium Musicum - Richard Hickox

The more I listen to this Mass series, the more I am convinced that Hummel was his own man; no need for comparisons to contemporaries or predecessors.

I wonder if Hickox had plans to record the remaining Mass. I know he had a lot of irons in the fire with Chandos around his passing, some of which were picked up by others or dropped altogether.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Linz

Hector Berlioz Symphonie fantastique, Op. 14/H 48, Wiener Symphoniker, Philippe Jordan