What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

AnotherSpin

classicalgeek

Brahms
String quartet, op. 51 no. 2
*String quintet, op. 111
Prazak Quartet
*Vladimir Bukac, viola

(on CD)

Great performances! What fun the finale of op. 111 is! ;D
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Harry

Suzanne un jour
Musique Française pour Luth.
Alban Tixier, Luth.
Evelyne Moser, Voix et Vièle d'archet, Track 13.
Recorded: 2023 - Chapelle des Pères Montfortins Saint Laurent sur Sèvre.

A very young Lutenist at the start of his career, delivers a finely nuanced, and delicate performance. 21 years of age, and already such a good ear for intricate harmonies, that's special. There are two vocal contributions on this disc, and those you should avoid, it spoils the fun completely.
The sound is excellent, as is the performance.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Irons

Bridge: Piano Trio No.2

Intense and uncompromising from his post WW1 period.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Irons on May 16, 2024, 11:08:31 PMBridge: Piano Trio No.2

Intense and uncompromising from his post WW1 period.

love this music!

steve ridgway

Schnittke: Concerto Grosso No. 1

Harry

Max Bruch.
Chamber Works.
See details on back cover.
The Nash Ensemble.
Recorded in All Saints' Church, East Finchley, London, 2020.

A bit heavy handed this performance, but it has sparkle and fine detailing throughout this interpretation. Music from the beginning and end of his career. Gives an interesting insight into his compositional talent. Sound is good!

Maestro267

Schuman: Symphony No. 7
Seattle SO/Schwarz

Dvorak: String Quartet No. 12
Stamitz Quartet

Harry

Max Bruch.
Orchestral Works
See back cover for details.

Bought this disc quite a while ago, and still think its good music and excellent performance. I upscaled the sound, and it's much better now.

Que

For me lute music as well this morning:

Never came accross Richard MacKenzie before. It's a nice recording, but perhaps the approach is a bit too plain and not sophisticated/ Italianate enough for the wow factor.. . Yet it provides sufficient encouragement to try some more.

Harry

Quote from: Que on May 17, 2024, 01:30:06 AMFor me lute music as well this morning:

Never came accross Richard MacKenzie before. It's a nice recording, but perhaps the approach is a bit too plain and not sophisticated/ Italianate enough for the wow factor.. . Yet it provides sufficient encouragement to try some more.

My thoughts also when I had an encounter with this recording.

Que

Quote from: Harry on May 17, 2024, 01:39:53 AMMy thoughts also when I had an encounter with this recording.

To be honest: I gradually lost interest...

Thread duty:

I took a short dip into this recording. I love the sound of the instrument, a reconstruction after early 18th c. models by the Dresdener Gräbner family. The performances appealed less to me in terms of execution and imagination, in this crowded and competitive field... For a kind of similar approach but then better: try Steven Devine (Resonus).

https://www.earlymusicamerica.org/web-articles/well-tempered-bach-from-matthew-dirst/

Cato

Etienne Mehul: it has been too long since I visited his works!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

foxandpeng

Ib Norholm
Symphony 1
Symphony 3
Eduard Serov
Odense SO

Playing these from what I assume to be a YouTube rip to mp3 that I made in the dim and distant past. I like Norholm very much, but only have 7 symphonies that I could find. Spotify has nothing symphonic, sadly...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

DavidW

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 15, 2024, 07:08:51 PMDutilleux: Piano Sonata

Phenomenal work. As far as 20th-century piano sonatas go, this runs to the fore IMO.

I found time to listen to the Dutilleux sonata, and it is indeed a brilliant work. Queffelec is superb, as always.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Linz

Fitzwilliam Virginal Book Byrd. John Bull, Philips. Tisdale and Farnaby

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on May 16, 2024, 03:34:17 PMWarner Andsnes set CD 17

An Amazon MP vendor thinks this is so good he can get $299 for a new copy of the individual CD.
Out of curiosity, I just checked out the listings on Amazon (for the individual CD).  The highest prices that I saw for it new (or used) was $45 and $35--both by the same vendor.  Did they adjust their price(s?)?  Or did someone actually pay that much for it?  :o
Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 16, 2024, 05:06:21 PMBritten: King Arthur Suite; An American Overture

My first time listening to the King Arthur Suite. It has to be one of his most epic-sounding works, the music certainly lives up to the expectations. I enjoyed it quite a bit. An American Overture is not far removed from liveliness and colour either. The strokes of the timpani sound powerful reaching the ending.

I haven't heard of those works before now.  Did somebody else complete them?  What's the story, morning glory?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Maestro267

An American Overture is from 1941, but wasn't discovered until 1976.

TD:

Magnard: Symphony No. 4
BBC Scottish SO/Ossonce