Author Topic: Coronavirus thread  (Read 95632 times)

North Star (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
Re: Coronavirus thread
« Reply #3540 on: January 10, 2021, 10:46:57 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-10/lawmakers-exposed-to-covid-19-during-attack-physician-says

January 10, 2021, 12:15 PM EST

Lawmakers may have been exposed to the coronavirus while they were held in a secure room during Wednesday’s attack on Congress, the Capitol’s attending physician said Sunday.

“Many members of the House community were in protective isolation in room located in a large committee hearing space,” physician Brian Monahan said in a statement. “During this time, individuals may have been exposed to another occupant with coronavirus infection.“

While Monahan’s statement didn’t specify which room, one video showed dozens of people sheltered in place a committee room in the (sic) as a mob of President Donald Trump’s supporters stormed into the Capitol, forcing their way into the House and Senate chambers, lawmakers’ offices, and other areas.

The video showed Delaware Democrat Lisa Blunt Rochester offering masks to a group of Republicans, including Representatives Marjorie Taylor Greene [The QAnon disgrace - TD] of Georgia and Andy Biggs of Arizona, who refused to cover their faces.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:00:44 AM by T. D. »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #3541 on: January 10, 2021, 02:27:36 PM »
Has anyone here been inoculated?
My girlfriend got the vaccine December 29 (in Texas). She had some side effects and slept very hard the rest of the week while her immune system responded. We are now at about 2% of the local population inoculated.

I was just checking this thread to see if other people on GMG had gotten the shot - or gotten the disease.

Brass Hole

« Reply #3542 on: January 11, 2021, 01:01:51 AM »
My girlfriend got the vaccine December 29 (in Texas). She had some side effects and slept very hard the rest of the week while her immune system responded. We are now at about 2% of the local population inoculated.

I was just checking this thread to see if other people on GMG had gotten the shot - or gotten the disease.

Great to hear that. Yes, it says 6.7 million as of last Friday. Is the date set for her second?

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • 私はコーヒーを飲む
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3544 on: January 11, 2021, 06:44:15 AM »
We are not getting vaccines as fast as expected into the country. So far only about 20.000 Finns have been vaccinated. That's about 0.4 % of the population. Meanwhile Israel has managed to get over 10 % of their population vaccinated.  ??? They are hoping the speed going up in February. It's up the to vaccine manufacturers being able to deliver what has been ordered.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Ecclesiastical Secularism"

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #3545 on: January 11, 2021, 06:49:58 AM »
Great to hear that. Yes, it says 6.7 million as of last Friday. Is the date set for her second?
The date will be set this week, they are contacting her by email today or tomorrow and I think they will give her a set time rather than a choice of times. (Honestly, if it were me, I would plan my whole day around any time they wanted! Her first shot was administered at 9:30pm because that was the only time left on the schedule.) It should be around January 26-28.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #3546 on: January 11, 2021, 08:11:36 AM »
We are not getting vaccines as fast as expected into the country. So far only about 20.000 Finns have been vaccinated. That's about 0.4 % of the population. Meanwhile Israel has managed to get over 10 % of their population vaccinated.  ??? They are hoping the speed going up in February. It's up the to vaccine manufacturers being able to deliver what has been ordered.

Simple, money. Israel is paying Pfizer 40% more for vaccine then US and Europe.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Iota

« Reply #3547 on: January 12, 2021, 11:25:04 AM »
This may seem a small point in light of the bigger picture, but I find this really disappointing/incomprehensible.

With things going crazy at the moment in the UK with the new Covid variant, some people are still choosing to be pointlessly obnoxious to supermarket staff, and reckless with everybody's health, by not wearing masks and getting abusive when asked to. I have no idea if they are of the ludicrous Covid-isn't-real persuasion, or just ignorant, but it doesn't matter, in current circumstances it just seems odiously selfish.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Magyar néptáncok a falu terén
« Reply #3548 on: January 12, 2021, 11:55:31 AM »
This may seem a small point in light of the bigger picture, but I find this really disappointing/incomprehensible.

With things going crazy at the moment in the UK with the new Covid variant, some people are still choosing to be pointlessly obnoxious to supermarket staff, and reckless with everybody's health, by not wearing masks and getting abusive when asked to. I have no idea if they are of the ludicrous Covid-isn't-real persuasion, or just ignorant, but it doesn't matter, in current circumstances it just seems odiously selfish.

This kind of behavior is rampant here in the US where ignorance must be bliss. I say there should be steep fine for anyone is not wearing a mask. The first offense is $600 (their government COVID stimulus money ::)) and the second fine will be $1,000. The third would be a $4,000 fine and 24 hrs. in jail with no bond. And God help us if it gets past the second or even third offense, the fourth offense would be $10,000 fine, 24 hrs. in jail plus 80 hrs. (the equivalent of two full-time work weeks in the US) of community service.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:58:53 AM by Mirror Image »
“Competitions are for horses, not artists.”

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3549 on: January 12, 2021, 09:19:16 PM »

Well you have to remember that the sort of dirt old face rags that people actually use may be pretty ineffective at best, and actually do more harm than good at worse. Especially against the British mutant killer variant. It’s interesting that masks have become so fetishised.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #3551 on: January 13, 2021, 08:57:31 AM »

Some people have always been obnoxious to anyone who has to deal with the public. Where I live there is a high percentage of retired people who have had a lifetime of talking down to the lower orders. They were rude and arrogant before the pandemic and will continue to be so after it is over. It is not just retired people but widespread, so much so people from out of town notice it.

Online MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #3552 on: January 13, 2021, 09:02:43 AM »
Restrictions here in DK now prolonged to the 7th of February. So it'll be at least 6 weeks this time ...

Infections still going down, but there are many fatalities these days, due to the rise in mid-December, 20-40 per day.
The general infection factor of transmission is now down to 0.9, but they'd like it to get down to 0.6, to better fight oncoming virus types. They'll be testing all infected people for the aggressive virus types, a good idea for mapping and fighting developments.

The special mink virus types, mentioned earlier, in 2020, seem to have died out now.

In Germany, talks about prolonging the restrictions for no less than 10 weeks ...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:06:24 AM by MusicTurner »

Offline BasilValentine

• Veteran member
« Reply #3553 on: January 14, 2021, 06:43:27 AM »
This kind of behavior is rampant here in the US where ignorance must be bliss. I say there should be steep fine for anyone is not wearing a mask. The first offense is $600 (their government COVID stimulus money ::)) and the second fine will be $1,000. The third would be a $4,000 fine and 24 hrs. in jail with no bond. And God help us if it gets past the second or even third offense, the fourth offense would be $10,000 fine, 24 hrs. in jail plus 80 hrs. (the equivalent of two full-time work weeks in the US) of community service.

Rampant no doubt. On the other hand, where I live, in a district of upstate New York that largely supported Trump, mask wearing has been nearly universal. All of my friends and neighbors who voted for Trump wear masks without complaint.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #3554 on: January 14, 2021, 08:02:17 AM »
On hearing ill rumour that Londoners may soon be urged into their lodgings by Her Majesty's men, I looked upon the street to see a gaggle of striplings making fair merry, and no doubt spreading the plague well about. Not a care had these rogues for the health o their elders!

Samuel Pepys Diaries
London 1664.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #3555 on: January 14, 2021, 08:44:51 AM »
On hearing ill rumour that Londoners may soon be urged into their lodgings by Her Majesty's men, I looked upon the street to see a gaggle of striplings making fair merry, and no doubt spreading the plague well about. Not a care had these rogues for the health o their elders!

Samuel Pepys Diaries
London 1664.
Wow!  :(

Offline Iota

« Reply #3556 on: January 14, 2021, 09:13:54 AM »
Some people have always been obnoxious to anyone who has to deal with the public. Where I live there is a high percentage of retired people who have had a lifetime of talking down to the lower orders. They were rude and arrogant before the pandemic and will continue to be so after it is over.

Seems such people are unaware, that it is them that are distinctly the lower orders.

Samuel Pepys Diaries
London 1664.

Saw that one circulating during the first lockdown, Plus ca change etc. ..

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3557 on: January 14, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »

Samuel Pepys Diaries
London 1664.

Here’s a video of Her Majesty’s men urging a gaggle of striplings into their lodgings, 2021 style

https://mobile.twitter.com/ukhomeoffice/status/1349725457143394305

And here’s a video of Londoners doing what Her Majesty’s men request and require this morning, going to work

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/status/1349650712444203008

I can’t help feel that there’s a conclusion to be drawn, not sure what. Over to you.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:14:12 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #3558 on: January 14, 2021, 12:32:17 PM »

Samuel Pepys Diaries
London 1664.

Nihil novum sub sole...

“Bloody hell!... I could use a drink!”

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3559 on: January 14, 2021, 12:53:30 PM »
I didn't recognize that from Pepys Diary and the year seems wrong - the really serious plague stuff is in 1665.

Sorry, but its from a parody twitter account account @Pepys-Diaries.

https://www.pepysdiary.com/encyclopedia/301/