Women’s Soccer/Football World Cup 2023

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, July 24, 2023, 01:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden

On another note, our PM is going to declare a national holiday (a one off) if Australia win the World Cup. How about a six figure bonus instead? While the likes of Sam Kerr and Hayley Raso get well paid in the professional leagues surely this would be a better way to acknowledge their efforts.
Cheers

Holden

Pohjolas Daughter

Congrats to both Australia and England today!

Looks to be about 6 a.m. EST next Wednesday.  Hope to catch it.  :) Out of curiosity, who is favored to win this match?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Holden

4 vs 10 according to FIFA world rankings so the Poms are favourites. However, don't write us Aussies off yet. In many sports they are our traditional (and sometimes hated) enemy. Also we just knocked off #5.

If we do beat them it will make a trifecta.

1 we retained the Ashes in cricket on their home turf last week.
2 We beat them in the Netball World Cup final on August 4
3....Roll on Number Three
Cheers

Holden

Irons

Quote from: Holden on August 12, 2023, 01:29:38 PM4 vs 10 according to FIFA world rankings so the Poms are favourites. However, don't write us Aussies off yet. In many sports they are our traditional (and sometimes hated) enemy. Also we just knocked off #5.

If we do beat them it will make a trifecta.

1 we retained the Ashes in cricket on their home turf last week.
2 We beat them in the Netball World Cup final on August 4
3....Roll on Number Three

Great post! Not a cricket fan but the Ashes hold a special place in all sporting competition. Dominic Lawson writing his weekly column for the Sunday Times, told how his father Nigel, chancellor during the Thatcher government, last words on his deathbed were how are England doing in the Ashes?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Holden

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 13, 2023, 05:11:03 AMI had to look up what "pom" meant!

PD
Good old Aussie vernacular which also includes variations such as "pongolian".
Cheers

Holden

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 13, 2023, 05:11:03 AMI had to look up what "pom" meant!

PD

PD, it is a fact, speaking of experience here, Americans confuse a cockney accent being Australian. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Well, that was exciting!  What a way to wake up in the morning.  Surprised to hear that it's the first time that England has made it to the finals.  Felt for the Australian crowd...good fight by their team.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2023, 04:09:36 AMWell, that was exciting!  What a way to wake up in the morning.  Surprised to hear that it's the first time that England has made it to the finals.  Felt for the Australian crowd...good fight by their team.

PD
The English men made it to the final in 1966 in England (I was there as a tincy boy).
I thought that the Women's team were fantastic today and deserved their success. They play well as a team without the narcissistic individualism which sometimes characterises the men's game. Spain will be a tough challenge. The Australians can be proud of their 'Matildas'.
https://news.sky.com/story/england-v-australia-live-updates-englands-women-face-hostile-crowd-as-co-hosts-stand-in-way-of-first-ever-world-cup-final-12940590
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Enjoyed the game enormously. The woman's game has improved beyond recognition in a very short time.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 16, 2023, 07:00:05 AMEnjoyed the game enormously. The woman's game has improved beyond recognition in a very short time.
One of the things that struck me:  I was delighted to see the packed stadium and the support for the women's teams.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 16, 2023, 07:00:05 AMEnjoyed the game enormously. The woman's game has improved beyond recognition in a very short time.
Totally agree Lol.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2023, 07:03:54 AMOne of the things that struck me:  I was delighted to see the packed stadium and the support for the women's teams.  :)

PD
Yes and although the fans were 99.9% rooting for the 'Matildas' there was still a very nice atmosphere - the crowd looked like they were having fun without any of the hostility and hooliganism which sadly characterises some aspects of the men's game in England at least. Australian and England fans were standing together in a mutually respectful  way and there was none of the jeering at the National anthems which characterises England supporters at their worst.

Holden

No trifecta. We played well but we're beaten by the better side. Good luck Poms against Spain - you'll have my support.
Cheers

Holden

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Since I like all the teams, I'm glad about all the results in the quarter and semi finals. Final would be fun regardless which team will win. Very good energy and nice cosmopolitan atmosphere.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 16, 2023, 09:03:29 AMSince I like all the teams, I'm glad about all the results in the quarter and semi finals. Final would be fun regardless which team will win. Very good energy and nice cosmopolitan atmosphere.
Even my wife has got interested now!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Holden on August 16, 2023, 07:57:19 AMNo trifecta. We played well but we're beaten by the better side. Good luck Poms against Spain - you'll have my support.
Sorry for you loss Holden (and @Dungeon Master and @Madiel and to any other Australians or those who were rooting for the "Matildas" on this forum).  They had an amazing run and I'm sure will achieve even better results in the future.

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Holden

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2023, 11:41:20 AMSorry for you loss Holden (and @Dungeon Master and @Madiel and to any other Australians or those who were rooting for the "Matildas" on this forum).  They had an amazing run and I'm sure will achieve even better results in the future.

Best,

PD

They have punched above their weight as they were only ranked 10th by FIFA so we can be very proud of their accomplishment. Even more noteworthy is that every single player started in our national Women's A League. Giving players something to aspire to above the levels of local club football has paid off.

Let's hope that ALL the profits are ploughed back into grass roots level girl's/women's football. There is bound to be a big influx of players after our results. Hmmmm I wonder how many teams I'll have to coach next year?
Cheers

Holden

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Holden on August 16, 2023, 02:57:06 PMThey have punched above their weight as they were only ranked 10th by FIFA so we can be very proud of their accomplishment. Even more noteworthy is that every single player started in our national Women's A League. Giving players something to aspire to above the levels of local club football has paid off.

Let's hope that ALL the profits are ploughed back into grass roots level girl's/women's football. There is bound to be a big influx of players after our results. Hmmmm I wonder how many teams I'll have to coach next year?

The Australian players were fantastic. The entire world saw it !

Madiel

Having been tagged in this thread...

The tournament has been incredible. Last night is the highest rating TV broadcast in Australia since the current ratings system began in 2001. Of anything, not just sport. The peak audience was 11 million in a country of 26 million, and for various reasons that's a significant UNDERcount.

This is the 3rd women's World Cup I've watched, and the improvement in the standard has been fantastic. Now that the big European clubs take it seriously and there are proper professional leagues, it's every bit as good to watch as the men's edition.

Also I got Spain in the office sweep so I'm still having a good time.  ;D
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!