Women’s Soccer/Football World Cup 2023

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, July 24, 2023, 01:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Moves afoot to change the licence rules for this Sunday only allowing pubs to serve customers at 11am (UK kick off time) instead of midday. The TV audience will be huge.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 17, 2023, 07:32:44 AMMoves afoot to change the licence rules for this Sunday only allowing pubs to serve customers at 11am (UK kick off time) instead of midday. The TV audience will be huge.
Excellent Lol!
I could be blind drunk by 11.30 AM  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Any possibility England decide to play without Lauren James?

Luke

Very probable, is the feeling here

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Holden on August 16, 2023, 02:57:06 PMThey have punched above their weight as they were only ranked 10th by FIFA so we can be very proud of their accomplishment. Even more noteworthy is that every single player started in our national Women's A League. Giving players something to aspire to above the levels of local club football has paid off.

Let's hope that ALL the profits are ploughed back into grass roots level girl's/women's football. There is bound to be a big influx of players after our results. Hmmmm I wonder how many teams I'll have to coach next year?
So, you're a coach?  If so....cool!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 17, 2023, 07:35:39 AMExcellent Lol!
I could be blind drunk by 11.30 AM  ;D

;D

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 17, 2023, 09:09:20 AMAny possibility England decide to play without Lauren James?

Never change a winning team.

The English FA have announced that Sarina Wiegman is in the frame to succeed Southgate as manager of the men's team when his contract comes to an end next year.
Some nervousness at the FA that USA and their coach have parted company after being knocked out of the competition. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 18, 2023, 12:15:40 AM;D

Never change a winning team.

The English FA have announced that Sarina Wiegman is in the frame to succeed Southgate as manager of the men's team when his contract comes to an end next year.
Some nervousness at the FA that USA and their coach have parted company after being knocked out of the competition. 
I'd use Lauren James as a substitute and keep Ella Toone in the team, especially after her spectacular goal v Australia.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 18, 2023, 01:37:50 AMI'd use Lauren James as a substitute and keep Ella Toone in the team, especially after her spectacular goal v Australia.

Agreed. An anecdote of Toone made me smile, Jeffrey. Unlike you and me she is from "up north". Recounting to the dressing room how she was paparazzied outside a bakery in Wigan enjoying a pasty. Sarina Wiegman asked what a pasty was? The whole room dissolved in laughter! 

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 18, 2023, 06:59:34 AMAgreed. An anecdote of Toone made me smile, Jeffrey. Unlike you and me she is from "up north". Recounting to the dressing room how she was paparazzied outside a bakery in Wigan enjoying a pasty. Sarina Wiegman asked what a pasty was? The whole room dissolved in laughter! 
She's quite a character, famous for wearing false-eyelashes during a match ('without them I think that I look about 12')

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Holden

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 18, 2023, 09:48:50 AMThe Guardian view on the Women's World Cup: the best so far.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/18/the-guardian-view-on-the-womens-world-cup-the-best-so-far
Couldn't agree more about financial parity. What's more, FIFA already has the money! I'll quietly carry on doing my bit as a coach at our local School competition while encouraging all the girls I work with to join a local club to help further improve their skills.
Cheers

Holden

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Holden on August 18, 2023, 01:41:26 PMCouldn't agree more about financial parity. What's more, FIFA already has the money!

I want Megan Rapinoe to become FIFA president.

Madiel

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 18, 2023, 09:48:50 AMThe Guardian view on the Women's World Cup: the best so far.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/18/the-guardian-view-on-the-womens-world-cup-the-best-so-far

I do find it slightly amusing that the author is upset the women are as ruthlessly competitive as the men, pining for a supposed time when women played nicely.

Elite sportspeople play to win. Choosing when and where to commit fouls is literally part of the game.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Holden on August 18, 2023, 01:41:26 PMCouldn't agree more about financial parity. What's more, FIFA already has the money! I'll quietly carry on doing my bit as a coach at our local School competition while encouraging all the girls I work with to join a local club to help further improve their skills.
Wow!  From that article:  " The disparity in Fifa's prize money – £86m for the Women's World Cup against £344m for last year's men's contest in Qatar – remains both huge and indefensible."  :o

And wish you well in your coaching.  That's really nice of you to do that.  :)

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

I was surprised to read that no one either in terms of British royalty nor any of the higher ups in British politics will be attending the final.  In contrast, the queen of Spain will be there.  My understanding is that Prince William is the head of the FA too.  He did send a nice recorded message to the Lionesses (with Charlotte by his side).  King Charles also issued a statement.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 20, 2023, 12:52:19 AMI was surprised to read that no one either in terms of British royalty nor any of the higher ups in British politics will be attending the final.  In contrast, the queen of Spain will be there.  My understanding is that Prince William is the head of the FA too.  He did send a nice recorded message to the Lionesses (with Charlotte by his side).  King Charles also issued a statement.

PD
Yes, I totally agree with you. It's a poor show. He should be there (although I realise that Australia is a long way away - but it's also a long way away from Spain).

PS: COME ON ENGLAND!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 20, 2023, 01:36:15 AMYes, I totally agree with you. It's a poor show. He should be there (although I realise that Australia is a long way away - but it's also a long way away from Spain).
I wonder whether or not these days that it's a case of damned if you do attend (Why are they spending the taxpayers money on this?) and damned if you don't (What, no support for the lionesses!)?

Are you watching from home with your wife, Jeffrey?

Just poured my first cup of morning coffee here.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Luke

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 20, 2023, 01:44:20 AMI wonder whether or not these days that it's a case of damned if you do attend (Why are they spending the taxpayers money on this?) and damned if you don't (What, no support for the lionesses!)?

No, I think most Brits are shocked they're not going (and yet can find time and money for so much else).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Luke on August 20, 2023, 02:31:23 AMNo, I think most Brits are shocked they're not going (and yet can find time and money for so much else).
Thanks for the added perspective.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Great job by La Roja!  I was amazed at how good they were in terms of keeping and getting possession of the ball in particular.  Certainly, the better of the two teams won today.  But a valiant fight by the Lionesses 'til the end.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter