Women’s Soccer/Football World Cup 2023

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, July 24, 2023, 01:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 31, 2023, 08:32:37 AMThat is very helpful though to understand how the points are (or were) awarded.  Nice to know about the top two going through.  I suspect, like you conjectured that in terms of ties that it might go down to how did the tied teams do against each other--which is what I think that you were suggesting?

Yes. It can vary from tournament to another though, I am not sure in this particular case. Sometime they take first the overall goal difference over the 3 pool games, sometime it is the result of the tied teams when they met in the pool game. If still tied, it can also go down to number of red card received and number of yellow cards.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 31, 2023, 08:32:37 AMAnother question:  How is it determined which group plays the next group in the following rounds?

That was determined at the setup of the tournament and initial group draw.

See that page for the Round of 16 stage, which is next when all the group games have been played.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_FIFA_Women%27s_World_Cup_knockout_stage
Olivier

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on July 31, 2023, 07:07:35 AMBlimey, Japan smashed it!

I had thought that they wouldn't want to beat Spain in order to finish 2nd in the group and fight with Switzerland rather than Norway. I was wrong. I still have a mixed feeling about this. I hope they won't regret this triumph.

P.s. Japan only had 22% possession. Its like Escher's paintings!

Irons

Watching England dismantle China today one player stood out, Lauran James younger sister of Chelsea fullback Reece James. This girl has an eye for goal! Only denied a hat trick by an offside decision.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Irons on August 01, 2023, 06:32:38 AMWatching England dismantle China today one player stood out, Lauran James younger sister of Chelsea fullback Reece James. This girl has an eye for goal! Only denied a hat trick by an offside decision.

England looked solid. I also liked Japan in the game against Spain.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on August 01, 2023, 06:32:38 AMWatching England dismantle China today one player stood out, Lauran James younger sister of Chelsea fullback Reece James. This girl has an eye for goal! Only denied a hat trick by an offside decision.

England is a strong team!

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: AnotherSpin on August 01, 2023, 07:47:56 AMEngland looked solid. I also liked Japan in the game against Spain.

England v Japan will be fascinating if it happens. Japan are a dangerous counter-attacking side.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Irons on August 01, 2023, 11:30:27 PMEngland v Japan will be fascinating if it happens. Japan are a dangerous counter-attacking side.

These Japanese girls looked so tiny and cautious compared to the Spanish girls, their counterattacks so delicate, but the shots on goal super-efficient like dagger stabs.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on August 01, 2023, 11:30:27 PMEngland v Japan will be fascinating if it happens. Japan are a dangerous counter-attacking side.

The British girls destroyed Japanese girls with 4-0 in the friendly last year. Scary girls!

Irons

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 02, 2023, 01:48:49 PMThe British girls destroyed Japanese girls with 4-0 in the friendly last year. Scary girls!

A moving last post.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Morocco beats Colombia and advances to knockout. Sadly Germany is out.

Papy Oli

I am rather glad we don't have to play Germany in the next round   8)
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

So, what do the women do during what looks to be a week's break?  Mostly rest and light training?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Pohjolas Daughter

Oh, that was a painful loss today.  Ball was apparently in by a hair, but that's all that was needed.  :(

Congrats to Sweden though!  And, wow, your goal keeper did an amazing job today!  You should be proud!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 06, 2023, 06:53:28 AMOh, that was a painful loss today.  Ball was apparently in by a hair, but that's all that was needed.  :(

Congrats to Sweden though!  And, wow, your goal keeper did an amazing job today!  You should be proud!

PD

Amazing display by the Swedish keeper.

Holden

Good to see Sam Kerr back on the park.
Cheers

Holden

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Donald Trump gloats about USA's Women's World Cup elimination.

"Many of our players were openly hostile to America — no other country behaved in such a manner, or even close,"  "WOKE EQUALS FAILURE. Nice shot, Megan, the U.S. is going to Hell!!! MAGA."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/07/trump-uswnt-world-cup-loss-rapinoe

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

England were forced to play more than half an hour with 10 players after Lauren James' dismissal.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66427469