Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 2559092 times)

Brian and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #30060 on: May 13, 2020, 11:46:43 PM »
Big Night

Two Italian born brothers with different standards and ideals try to run a restaurant in the Italian community in America. As the film progresses the underlying tensions and differences between the two emerge. It is a touching and human story that is well worth a watch.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Philoctetes

• One and one makes one.
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lasgo, Milk Inc, Sylver
« Reply #30061 on: May 14, 2020, 03:19:42 PM »
"Oh it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh." (Anthony Burgess)

"That wouldn't be believable. Well, not if you don't believe it" (Trick, 1999).

"You'd like me to be dumb and nothing more. Maybe you think that, but I don't. But that's how it should be" (Undertow, 2009).

Offline Philoctetes

• One and one makes one.
    Lasgo, Milk Inc, Sylver
« Reply #30062 on: May 14, 2020, 05:32:21 PM »
Dubbed, but you likely won't notice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCowIGE8JmM

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:37:38 PM by Philoctetes »

"You'd like me to be dumb and nothing more. Maybe you think that, but I don't. But that's how it should be" (Undertow, 2009).

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #30063 on: May 21, 2020, 02:21:33 AM »

Second watch. Undemanding, but well made, and you'd be forgiven for believing they really did shoot this in Iraq.

The commentary track led me to a book on the WMD stuff called Imperial Life In The Emerald City, which hadn't been on my radar before, and also to the original WMD fabricator "Curveball":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curveball_(informant)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30064 on: May 21, 2020, 04:18:17 AM »
Forces of Nature

This is a sort of Rom Com but one with a difference as two conflicting personalities are thrown together by a set of circumstances. It is amusing and watchable.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30065 on: May 21, 2020, 08:27:47 AM »
Well, we've watched a few old films on DVD-R and streamed one last night from Netflix:

Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940) w/ Raymond Massey, Ruth Gordon, Gene Lockhart, et al - with an uncanny resemblance to Lincoln, Massey is just outstanding in this bioptic (i.e. the pre-Washington, D.C. era), and Gordon's portrayal of Mary Todd is one of the more realistic performances on film IMO - a MUST for anyone interested in Lincoln.

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The (1939) w/ Mickey Rooney, Walter Connolly, William Frawley, & Rex Ingram as Jim - of course, based on the Mark Twain novel - back in the early 1980s, Susan & I saw Big River on Broadway, an excellent musical on the same topic w/ music/lyrics by Roger Miller (own the soundtrack on CD) - as I recall John Goodman played 'Pap Finn' and was the hit of the show for me!  If a fan of Twain's Mississippi River stories, then recommended.

Uncorked (2020) w/ Courtney B. Vance, Lashun Pollard, Michael Mobley, et al - one sentence synopsis below - streamed from Netflix - being a 'wine lover' all of my adult life, I enjoyed the film - may be less interesting to others; soundtrack has a lot of rap-type music (not my thing, but fit the movie fine) - certainly, if you are into wine and want to see some of the steps along the way to becoming a 'sommelier', the recommended.  Dave :)

Elijah must balance his dream of becoming a master sommelier with his father's expectations that he carry on the family's Memphis BBQ joint.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #30066 on: May 21, 2020, 10:14:48 AM »
Well, we've watched a few old films on DVD-R and streamed one last night from Netflix:

Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940) w/ Raymond Massey, Ruth Gordon, Gene Lockhart, et al - with an uncanny resemblance to Lincoln, Massey is just outstanding in this bioptic (i.e. the pre-Washington, D.C. era), and Gordon's portrayal of Mary Todd is one of the more realistic performances on film IMO - a MUST for anyone interested in Lincoln.

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The (1939) w/ Mickey Rooney, Walter Connolly, William Frawley, & Rex Ingram as Jim - of course, based on the Mark Twain novel - back in the early 1980s, Susan & I saw Big River on Broadway, an excellent musical on the same topic w/ music/lyrics by Roger Miller (own the soundtrack on CD) - as I recall John Goodman played 'Pap Finn' and was the hit of the show for me!  If a fan of Twain's Mississippi River stories, then recommended.

Uncorked (2020) w/ Courtney B. Vance, Lashun Pollard, Michael Mobley, et al - one sentence synopsis below - streamed from Netflix - being a 'wine lover' all of my adult life, I enjoyed the film - may be less interesting to others; soundtrack has a lot of rap-type music (not my thing, but fit the movie fine) - certainly, if you are into wine and want to see some of the steps along the way to becoming a 'sommelier', the recommended.  Dave :)

Most interesting, Dave; I don't think I could take Mickey Rooney as Huck Finn . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online Dowder

• Self-employed at my troll farm
    Bach, Haydn & Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Russians, DP and DM
« Reply #30067 on: May 21, 2020, 08:03:40 PM »

A beautiful young organ player survives a tragic car accident only to be haunted by a sinister ghost who draws here to an abandoned carnival where the dead reign. Along the way she realizes life is a blessing and a curse. For 1962, an intriguing film.   
”But what is government but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”~~James Madison, Federalist 51

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30068 on: May 22, 2020, 12:57:06 AM »
Breaking In

This is a standard enough break in plot but with a slight difference which makes it more entertaining and watchable.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30069 on: May 22, 2020, 06:49:50 AM »
Most interesting, Dave; I don't think I could take Mickey Rooney as Huck Finn . . . .

Hi Karl:laugh:  Yep, there is an 'Andy Hardy' persona about Huck (he made several of those films around then!), and I expected Judy Garland to 'pop up' in the next scene - the following year, he made Young Tom Edison w/ the wonderful Faith Bainter as his mother.  Dave :)

Offline Philoctetes

• One and one makes one.
    Lasgo, Milk Inc, Sylver
« Reply #30070 on: May 22, 2020, 05:15:03 PM »
On, in the background:

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #30071 on: May 23, 2020, 01:08:30 PM »

I liked this considerably more than the critical savaging its had tells me I should.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30072 on: May 23, 2020, 01:17:16 PM »
Yet several more 'oldies' from my DVD-R collection:

All the King's Men (1949) w/ Broderick Crawford, John Ireland, Mercedes McCambridge, and Joanne Dru. Though a fictional character, Crawford plays Willie Stark, who strongly resembles Louisiana governor Huey Long; based on the 1946 Robert Penn Warren novel of the same name.  The film was nominated for 7 Academy Awards, winning 3 Oscars including 'Best Picture' and 'Best Actor' for Broderick Crawford, who beat out John Wayne (Sands of Iwo Jima), the actor originally offered the part as Stark; not sure that Wayne could have pulled off the role as well as Broderick?

Along Came Jones (1945) w/ Gary Cooper, Loretta Young, William Demarest, and Dan Duryea. Low budget B-Western 'comedy' w/ Coop as 'Melody Jones' - just a fun film w/ Loretta looking 'deliciously' attractive.  Dave :)

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #30073 on: May 23, 2020, 02:56:14 PM »
Captain America: the First Avenger.

As I move through the Marvel Cinematic Universe... honestly, I think this was more mindless than usual.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #30074 on: May 23, 2020, 08:53:46 PM »

Superb not only in its recreation of time and place, but in trusting the audience to find the drama before the climax in the debate of ideas.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #30075 on: May 23, 2020, 09:18:01 PM »
Two contrasting films over the last two days, both of which I greatly enjoyed. I'd seen 1917 at the cinema but enjoyed it just as much on DVD:
[/img]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #30076 on: May 24, 2020, 04:25:51 AM »

Rewatched The Other Guys.  Still funny, but its time-specific jokes date it.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Online George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #30077 on: May 24, 2020, 04:42:42 AM »
The Wrong Missy - good, stupid fun
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #30078 on: May 24, 2020, 10:09:55 AM »

Rewatched The Other Guys.  Still funny, but its time-specific jokes date it.

Under 8 movies again?  :D
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #30079 on: May 24, 2020, 01:20:52 PM »
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General