Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 2606952 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #30380 on: July 26, 2020, 04:35:04 AM »

Brawl in Cell Block 99.  S. Craig Zahler's second film.  Zahler uses the same approach and techniques as in his other two films, and a fair chunk of the actors in this flick appeared in Dragged Across Concrete.  (Fred Melamed appears in all three Zahler films.)  Vince Vaughn does excellent work, his wavering accent notwithstanding, and Don Johnson shows that he can play hard men well.  The flick involves the tale of Vaughn's character, who loses his job and whose wife is cheating on him after a miscarriage, who then becomes a drug mule to make things right, because, you know, that's what you do.  After a delivery goes sideways, he ends up in prison, where he ends up having to engage in unspeakable violence to protect his wife.  Refn's influence can be seen, and Tarantino's influence is obvious, though Zahler blows right past him in terms of over the top violence and veers right into Troma film territory.  It's well done for what it is, but it ends up too exaggerated to be taken seriously.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30381 on: July 28, 2020, 11:23:01 PM »
The Man Who Cried

This is the story of a small child who was left behind while her father immigrated to America. It is her story of pursuit and all that happened along the way. It had the making of being something good but it was ultimately too Hollywood for me.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30382 on: July 30, 2020, 11:40:34 PM »
Winter People

This was a good human story. I enjoyed it.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #30383 on: July 31, 2020, 11:31:34 AM »
Tonight I was watching 'Beneath the Planet of the Apes' on TV. My wife walked through the living room and said 'what on earth are you watching?':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #30384 on: July 31, 2020, 12:12:40 PM »
Tonight I was watching 'Beneath the Planet of the Apes' on TV. My wife walked through the living room and said 'what on earth are you watching?':

lol Don't believe that I've seen that one before.  When is it from Jeffrey?

Here, a nature program/dvd.

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #30385 on: July 31, 2020, 12:27:42 PM »
lol Don't believe that I've seen that one before.  When is it from Jeffrey?

Here, a nature program/dvd.

PD

1970 PD. Not nearly as good as the marvelous 1968 original POTA (not to be confused with POTUS  ;D) but much better than the ones which followed.

I really disliked the modern re-make - thought it was terrible.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #30386 on: August 01, 2020, 04:32:18 PM »

Revisiting an old favourite after a hiatus of many years.

It was to be a collaboration between Murmau and Flaherty (of Nanook of the North and Moana fame), both being credited as co-authors of the scenario. Flaherty eventually walked out, unsatisfied with the many changes Murnau had brought on the project, changing the camera work from colour to B&W, considerably expanding the story, etc.

Tabu is from 1931 and comes 4 years after Murnau’s previous film, Sunrise. And yet the older film is much more modern. It deals with human issues in an extremely sophisticated and novel way. Tabu otoh deals with ancient, vanishing customs nobody really took seriously in 1931 (Flaherty would do the same in 1934 In Man of Aran with the basking shark fishing scene an anachronism from the previous century).

So, it really is a Murnau film, centering on the interactions and emotions of characters overcome by forces they cannot control (Der Letze Mann, Sunrise, Tabu). Flaherty had little interest in individuals, his forte was the ethnographic aspect of societies and the effect modernism had on them (Nanook, Man of Aran, Louisiana Story). So, a total mismatch that ended up with Flaherty’s interest in the joint venture being bought back by Murnau.

The film garnered an oscar for its cinematography by Floyd Crosby (Zinnemann’s High Noon and From Here to Eternity, Clouzot’s Le Corbeau are among his other notable achievements). The intense luminosity and stark contrasts of bright light and shadows will be familiar to fans of these films, showing how tellingly great cinematography contributes to a film’s aesthetic. The musical soundtrack is by Hugo Riesenfeld (The Ten Commandments, Beau Geste, Sunrise, Hell’s Angels) who plugged in many themes of classical music by Smetana, Mendelssohn, Schubert and others - I couldn’t identify them all.

So, a touching story, some fantastic shots and good acting for the period (non professionals). It has aged well, but is not as strikingly modern as Sunrise.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #30387 on: August 01, 2020, 06:33:25 PM »
A Ghost Story

Um... look, in some ways I get what this was trying to do. And some of it was effective. But some of it, especially in the first half, is incredibly slow and tedious.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30388 on: August 02, 2020, 12:51:49 AM »
Gridlocked

This is one from the lots of shooting and violence genre. For those who know who Vinnie Jones is, he makes an appearance; so you know what to expect.

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
  • Harrison Birtwistle (1934-)
    A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
« Reply #30389 on: August 02, 2020, 02:59:43 AM »

I was watching that too. Great fun and I liked the costumes :P.
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
  • Harrison Birtwistle (1934-)
    A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
« Reply #30390 on: August 02, 2020, 03:05:39 AM »
Push with Chris Evans and Dakota Fanning. Some good tips here for anyone fighting an enemy that can read their mind.

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #30391 on: August 02, 2020, 04:24:11 AM »

The Vast of Night.  A low-budget homage to The Twilight Zone and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, with a nod to Gareth Edwards' Monsters, the film is set in 50s New Mexico and involves a switchboard operator and DJ who hear and try to untangle the meaning of a strange noise intercepted by the girl at the switchboard.  The movie consists of low budget sets and extensive dialogue and the cheapest possible effect of a blacked out screen for a few minutes of screen time, interspersed throughout the film.  Issues of racism and sexism are addressed for a political tinge, but ultimately the high concept falls flat and the film, despite less than ninety minutes of actual running time, seems to go on and on.  That's probably because the storyline is old and tired and the movie really has nothing fresh to say.  I guess it could have been worse.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #30392 on: August 02, 2020, 07:41:34 AM »

Since I'm not a Brit, it's very OK for me to like the films of Stephen Poliakoff. Most recently I watched Capturing Mary.

Stephen Poliakoff: why the baffling doe-eyed adoration?

Ow, that'll teach me. Now that I'm taught, I like the film less by a tiny amount. I'm glad I watched the film first because I like liking films even if I'm not doing it right.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #30393 on: August 02, 2020, 01:40:00 PM »

First viewing. Found this much more charming and enjoyable than I expected to.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #30394 on: August 04, 2020, 05:10:15 AM »

Beautiful film.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30395 on: August 04, 2020, 11:53:39 PM »
Black Butterfly

A twist too many at the very end spoiled an otherwise reasonably good film; ridiculous!

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #30396 on: August 05, 2020, 03:18:43 AM »
Dallas Buyers Club

Pretty good. The acting is definitely the highlight.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #30397 on: August 06, 2020, 12:29:57 AM »
Second time, after its premiere back in 1982. Ben Kingsly makes a not unconvincing Gandhi, but what I liked most are the landscapes, analogue & beautiful:
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30398 on: August 06, 2020, 11:51:49 PM »
Passengers 

I enjoyed this one.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30399 on: August 06, 2020, 11:53:05 PM »
Second time, after its premiere back in 1982. Ben Kingsly makes a not unconvincing Gandhi, but what I liked most are the landscapes, analogue & beautiful:

I remember seeing that in the cinema when it came out and the landscape cinematography was stunning.