Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz, SonicMan46 (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

SonicMan46

Manhattan (1979) - synopsis and cast below - love the B&W filming of NYC and the Gershwin soundtrack (see * below) - we've seen nearly all of Allen's films over the decades and I own about half a dozen; our favorites are Annie Hall, Hannah & Her Sisters, and Manhattan, which are the Top 3 in this RANKING; of course, other rankings would be different.  Dave :)

QuoteManhattan is a 1979 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Woody Allen and produced by Charles H. Joffe from a screenplay written by Allen and Marshall Brickman. Allen co-stars as a twice-divorced 42-year-old comedy writer who dates a 17-year-old girl (Mariel Hemingway) but falls in love with his best friend's (Michael Murphy) mistress (Diane Keaton). Meryl Streep and Anne Byrne also star. Manhattan was Allen's first film in black-and-white, and was shot in 2.35:1 widescreen. It features music by George Gershwin, including Rhapsody in Blue, which inspired the film. (Source)
*All titles of the soundtrack were compositions by George Gershwin. They were performed by the New York Philharmonic under Zubin Mehta and the Buffalo Philharmonic under Michael Tilson Thomas.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on May 10, 2024, 05:47:14 PM"You won't understand what's going on," said my mother, despite my insistence that I would indeed understand it!
Was this a mother being protective of a child's innocence? Separately, I had forgotten that we get Ned Glass in Grand Central Station.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 11, 2024, 07:09:00 AMour favorites are Annie Hall, Hannah & Her Sisters, and Manhattan, which are the Top 3 in this RANKING; of course, other rankings would be different.  Dave :)
Hard to argue with those as a Top Three, Dave! I still love Manhattan for all the right reasons, notwithstanding the arguably troublesome relationship between Isaac and Tracy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 11, 2024, 07:21:57 AMWas this a mother being protective of a child's innocence? Separately, I had forgotten that we get Ned Glass in Grand Central Station.

I think it was a mother not wanting to see the movie and spending money on the tickets: she was not a fan of "thrillers" or of Alfred Hitchcock in general.  ;D
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 11, 2024, 07:21:57 AMSeparately, I had forgotten that we get Ned Glass in Grand Central Station.

Ned Glass!
  The skeptical clerk at the ticket window who asks questions of a man allergic to questions!

Another addition to the Great Character Actor List!

Cato

Quote from: Cato on May 11, 2024, 07:29:46 AMI think it was a mother not wanting to see the movie and spending money on the tickets: she was not a fan of "thrillers" or of Alfred Hitchcock in general.  ;D

I should mention: I do recall watching (at age 10 or 11) Shadow of a Doubt with my father on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.  (I do not recall where my mother was.) 

He had seen it in the 1940's, when it was first released.  The scene where the silence of the library is shattered by Dmitri Tiomkin's fff chord to introduce a grim version of The Merry Widow Waltz was riveting, as the camera pans down the newspaper article. 

Great stuff!   8)

Karl Henning

Tonight, from Hitchcock's Light Entertainment Division: Dial M for Murder.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Nanny McPhee (2005) - synopsis and main cast below - Susan wanted a 'light & funny' film last night and chose this one, a twist on the Mary Poppins character. Now this is a film best watched w/ your kids (but our only son is 50 y/o and lives in Indiana), so she often refers to me as a 'kid' - I enjoy this film and she did also - ratings were pretty good - recommended if you like the story and especially if children are around -  :D   Dave

QuoteNanny McPhee is a 2005 comedy drama fantasy film based on the Nurse Matilda character by Christianna Brand. It was directed by Kirk Jones. Set in Victorian England in the 1860s, the film stars Emma Thompson (who wrote the screenplay for the film) as Nanny McPhee, along with Colin Firth,  and Angela Lansbury. During Victorian Britain, in the 1860s, widower undertaker Cedric Brown is the father of seven unruly children—Simon, Tora, Eric, Lily, Sebastian, Christianna "Chrissie" and baby Agatha "Aggie." Cedric is clumsy but loves his children; however, since the death of his wife, has spent little time with them and cannot handle them. The children have had a series of nannies, whom they have systematically driven out with their bad behaviour and pranks. (Source)

DavidW

The Society of Snow was riveting and much better than Alive.  They made sure to cast no names, and had them lose a tremendous amount of weight during filming so you can see the people starving.  It is based on the true story about the rugby team whose plane went down on a glacier in the Andes, and had to resort to cannibalism to survive.  While the movie was long (2 1/2 hours) it was never dull.  Absolute commitment from the producers, directors, writers, actors.  And you can see the passion on the screen.  Highly recommended if you can take the subject matter.

Cato

A variation on the Rapunzel story: ironically funny at times, wink-wink funny at other times, and there are times when some drama takes center stage, with a musical score by Alan Menken!

Karl Henning

Manhattan
"My analyst warned me but you were so beautiful, I got another analyst."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 12, 2024, 08:50:33 PMManhattan.
"My analyst warned me but you were so beautiful, I got another analyst."
First saw this in the movie house back when. Didn't realize it at the time (it doesn't appear among the music credits) but it was my introduction to Gershwin's "Novelette in Fourths." Oh, I do love this movie. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 12, 2024, 09:03:40 PMFirst saw this in the movie house back when. Didn't realize it at the time (it doesn't appear among the music credits) but it was my introduction to Gershwin's "Novelette in Fourths." Oh, I do love this movie.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Life of Pi.  Excellent movie.  I can see why it was nominated for numerous awards (and received a number of them).

From Wiki:

"Life of Pi is a 2012 adventure-drama film directed and produced by Ang Lee and written by David Magee. Based on Yann Martel's 2001 novel of the same name, it stars Suraj Sharma in his film debut, Irrfan Khan, Tabu, Rafe Spall, Gérard Depardieu and Adil Hussain in lead roles. The storyline revolves around two survivors of a shipwreck who are on a lifeboat stranded in the Pacific Ocean for 227 days. One is a sixteen-year-old Indian boy named Pi Patel (Suraj Sharma) and the other is a ferocious Bengal tiger named Richard Parker."

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 13, 2024, 08:30:02 AMLife of Pi.  Excellent movie.  I can see why it was nominated for numerous awards (and received a number of them).

From Wiki:

"Life of Pi is a 2012 adventure-drama film directed and produced by Ang Lee and written by David Magee. Based on Yann Martel's 2001 novel of the same name, it stars Suraj Sharma in his film debut, Irrfan Khan, Tabu, Rafe Spall, Gérard Depardieu and Adil Hussain in lead roles. The storyline revolves around two survivors of a shipwreck who are on a lifeboat stranded in the Pacific Ocean for 227 days. One is a sixteen-year-old Indian boy named Pi Patel (Suraj Sharma) and the other is a ferocious Bengal tiger named Richard Parker."

PD
Haven't seen it, and for no good reason. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) w/ Henry Fonda as the young Abe - beginning of story below, more at link, if interested; John Ford, director. Reviews: 100%, Rotten Tomatoes & 7.5/10, IMDB - Fonda excellent in the role w/ a 'passing resemblance' to Lincoln. Highly recommended.  Dave

QuoteYoung Mr. Lincoln is a 1939 American biographical drama western film about the early life of Abraham Lincoln, directed by John Ford and starring Henry Fonda. Screenwriter Lamar Trotti was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Writing/Original Story. In 1832, a family traveling through New Salem, Illinois in their wagon need groceries from Lincoln's store, and the only thing of value that they have to trade is a barrel of old books including a law book, Blackstone's Commentaries. After thoroughly reading the book, Lincoln opts for the law after receiving encouragement from his early, ill-fated love, Ann Rutledge, who soon dies. Too poor to own even a horse, he arrives in Springfield, Illinois, on a mule and soon establishes a law practice in 1837 with his friend, John Stuart. (Source)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 13, 2024, 08:33:49 AMHaven't seen it, and for no good reason.
I watched it on Peacock.  I suspect that in your area you could get a hold of a copy through your library system (if you aren't a member of any streaming services).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 13, 2024, 08:33:49 AMHaven't seen it, and for no good reason.
Please watch it.  I don't want to say too much.  I think that you would appreciate it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 13, 2024, 12:41:23 PMPlease watch it.  I don't want to say too much.  I think that you would appreciate it.

PD
I shall seek it out.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 13, 2024, 08:30:02 AMLife of Pi.  Excellent movie.  I can see why it was nominated for numerous awards (and received a number of them).

I liked it so much that I read the novel!  Which I also recommend.