Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on May 13, 2024, 04:04:04 PMI liked it so much that I read the novel!  Which I also recommend.
Nice!  Must admit that I am also tempted to read it.  A bit from Wiki:  "The novel has sold more than ten million copies worldwide.[1] It was rejected by at least 5 London publishing houses[2] before being accepted by Knopf Canada, which published it in September 2001. Martel won the Man Booker Prize the following year.[3][4][5] It was also chosen for CBC Radio's Canada Reads 2003, where it was championed by author Nancy Lee.[6]"

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

For only the second time, Mighty Aphrodite. I missed, the first time, that Peter Weller is in the cast. Keeping an eye out for him. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 13, 2024, 06:36:34 PMFor only the second time, Mighty Aphrodite. I missed, the first time, that Peter Weller is in the cast. Keeping an eye out for him.
Now I see him, it's clear I knew him the first time, and just forgot that he was in the movie. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 13, 2024, 07:04:56 PMNow I see him, it's clear I knew him the first time, and just forgot that he was in the movie.
I forgot, too, that Jack Warden was Tiresias. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 13, 2024, 07:04:56 PMNow I see him, it's clear I knew him the first time, and just forgot that he was in the movie.
Part of me thinks, "A pity he's playing a heel," but mostly I think how he must have had fun playing the role: trying to lure Helena Bonham Carter away from her husband (Woody Allen)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Also from Hitchcock's Light Entertainment Division: To Catch a Thief.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 11, 2024, 06:08:43 PMTonight, from Hitchcock's Light Entertainment Division: Dial M for Murder.

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 14, 2024, 03:15:54 PMAlso from Hitchcock's Light Entertainment Division: To Catch a Thief.

And, (coincidentally?) both with John Williams in supporting roles.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 14, 2024, 03:15:54 PMAlso from Hitchcock's Light Entertainment Division: To Catch a Thief.
One of the great curtain lines in Hitchcock: "Mother will love it up here!"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Woody Allen's Zelig. I owe the Sarge thanks for reminding me how witty this is.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 14, 2024, 05:39:39 PMWoody Allen's Zelig. I owe the Sarge thanks for reminding me how witty this is.
Come on, mon ami....watch some more current movies too.  ;)

Meant with love,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 14, 2024, 06:24:52 PMCome on, mon ami....watch some more current movies too.  ;)

Meant with love,

PD
Now he's gonna watch nothing but silent movies for the rest of the month  ;)

Cato

"
Quote from: Karl Henning on May 14, 2024, 05:39:39 PMWoody Allen's Zelig. I owe the Sarge thanks for reminding me how witty this is.

Yiddish word from German Selig, "Blessed."  8)  Another little joke!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on May 14, 2024, 06:27:01 PMNow he's gonna watch nothing but silent movies for the rest of the month  ;)

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 14, 2024, 06:24:52 PM;D  :laugh:
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on May 13, 2024, 04:04:04 PMI liked it so much that I read the novel!  Which I also recommend.
Alright, I either need to  check this out of my library or borrow it online.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on May 14, 2024, 06:27:01 PMNow he's gonna watch nothing but silent movies for the rest of the month  ;)

You can do that and keep PD happy!

;D

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on May 15, 2024, 03:21:29 AMYou can do that and keep PD happy!

;D

That was a cute little movie but its Best Picture win annoyed me a little bit - and its Best Original Score win DEFINITELY made me angry since so much of the score was copied from Bernard Herrmann and not original at all!

Looking at the Best Picture contenders that year, it seems to have been a pretty poor year overall for movies. I haven't seen the critically beloved Tree of Life, and A Separation wasn't nominated, so I think I would have voted for...Moneyball?

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on May 15, 2024, 05:22:20 AMThat was a cute little movie but its Best Picture win annoyed me a little bit - and its Best Original Score win DEFINITELY made me angry since so much of the score was copied from Bernard Herrmann and not original at all!

Looking at the Best Picture contenders that year, it seems to have been a pretty poor year overall for movies. I haven't seen the critically beloved Tree of Life, and A Separation wasn't nominated, so I think I would have voted for...Moneyball?

I stopped paying attention to Oscars long ago!  It seems like self-congratulatory and myopic nonsense from Hollywood.

SonicMan46

Romancing the Stone (1984) - WOW! Film is now 40 years old! Favorite of mine, in part because  my colleague and I spent a week in Colombia speaking at a radiology meeting in the 1980s - quotes below discuss cast and story - second quote - NONE of the filming was done in Colombia, mostly Mexico around Veracruz. Still a great adventure comedy for me.  Dave :)

QuoteRomancing the Stone is a 1984 action adventure romantic comedy film directed by Robert Zemeckis, written by Diane Thomas and produced by Michael Douglas, who also stars in the film alongside Kathleen Turner and Danny DeVito. The film follows a romance novelist who must venture beyond her New York City comfort zone to Colombia in order to save her sister from criminals who are holding her for ransom. (Source)
QuoteFilming locations included Veracruz, Mexico (Fort of San Juan de Ulúa), Huasca de Ocampo, Mexico, and Snow Canyon, Utah. The scene where Turner and Douglas get separated on opposite banks on a whitewater river was filmed on the Rio Antigua near the town of Jalcomulco, Veracruz (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 14, 2024, 06:24:52 PMCome on, mon ami....watch some more current movies too.  ;)

Meant with love,

PD
Happy to take your suggestion under earnest advisement. I see that @Brian brought the hammer down. Please do not misread this as defiance ... TD: The Man Who Knew Too Much
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 15, 2024, 03:57:16 PMHappy to take your suggestion under earnest advisement. I see that @Brian brought the hammer down. Please do not misread this as defiance ... TD: The Man Who Knew Too Much.
It's all good.  :)  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter