Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 14, 2014, 08:58:54 AM
Definitely have a listen to the Elder, it's beautiful! ;D
No, I've only listened to those recordings so far; suggestions are always warmly welcome, but before checking out other performances of Falstaff, I would prefer to explore Elgar's works I haven't heard yet. The Apostles will be the next one.

Yes, check out The Apostles. Beautiful work. Have you heard the Violin Concerto? I'm pretty sure you have but I couldn't remember.

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 14, 2014, 09:44:10 AM
Definitely Elder for me too, and I own quite a few recordings of it. So much more lively, really fantastic playing. Looking forward to hearing what you think, John. :)

Glad you're enjoying Elgar so much, you know he's been one of my favourites from the very start. :)

Yes, I know you've loved Elgar's music from the very start. I would say it didn't take long for this composer to work his magic on ears either.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 14, 2014, 05:40:37 PM
Yes, check out The Apostles. Beautiful work. Have you heard the Violin Concerto? I'm pretty sure you have but I couldn't remember.

I have, actually it's one of the first Elgar's compositions I've ever listened to. A very passionate and powerful work, the sound of the violin is elegant and elaborated (what a beautiful candenza in the third movement), but at the same time lyrical and poetical, and wonderfully supported by the orchestral playing. It's good! awfully emotional! too emotional, but I love it. ;)
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

71 dB

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 15, 2014, 11:23:22 AM
I have, actually it's one of the first Elgar's compositions I've ever listened to. A very passionate and powerful work, the sound of the violin is elegant and elaborated (what a beautiful candenza in the third movement), but at the same time lyrical and poetical, and wonderfully supported by the orchestral playing. It's good! awfully emotional! too emotional, but I love it. ;)

The Violin Concerto was one of the first works by Elgar I heard too. I think I had only heard Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1, Enigma Variations and Salut d'amour before it. Such a magical work and in my opinion somewhat overlooked.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 15, 2014, 11:23:22 AM

:D Glad you enjoy the work and, indeed, it's exquisite.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on January 15, 2014, 12:22:51 PM
The Violin Concerto was one of the first works by Elgar I heard too. I think I had only heard Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1, Enigma Variations and Salut d'amour before it. Such a magical work and in my opinion somewhat overlooked.

I'm not sure what the first Elgar work I heard. Probably the Cello Concerto (du Pre/Barbirolli) and I knew after the first couple of measures of the first movement that this music was going to be quite special to me.

Mirror Image

I received some Elgarian goodies in the mail today...

- Symphonies 1 & 2, In the South (Alassio), and Organ Sonata (arr. Gordon Jacob), Richard Hickox, BBC National Orchestral of Wales, Chandos
- Enigma Variations, Falstaff, Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, EMI
- Wand of Youth Suites 1 & 2, Nursery Suite, Dream Children, Bryden Thomson, Norman Del Mar, Ulster Orchestra, Bournemouth Sinfonietta, Chandos

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 15, 2014, 05:35:56 PM
I'm not sure what the first Elgar work I heard.

Oh, in my ears, certainly the famous P&C march, though of course I had heard the tune for the Trio (Land of Soap & Borax) long before I heard the entire March.

After that, probably the first I heard was the Enigma Vars.  Which I liked all right, but they didn't really "sell" me on Elgar.

The experience which really shook me by the collar, so that I took Elgar more seriously, was turning pages for Nigel Kennedy's accompanist when he played the Violin Sonata in Old Cabell Hall at UVa.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on January 16, 2014, 04:43:29 AM
Oh, in my ears, certainly the famous P&C march, though of course I had heard the tune for the Trio (Land of Soap & Borax) long before I heard the entire March.

After that, probably the first I heard was the Enigma Vars.  Which I liked all right, but they didn't really "sell" me on Elgar.

The experience which really shook me by the collar, so that I took Elgar more seriously, was turning pages for Nigel Kennedy's accompanist when he played the Violin Sonata in Old Cabell Hall at UVa.

Oh wow, Karl. Sounds you like had a much more intimate encounter with Elgar's music as you were apart of the music-making. I'm sure an experience like that would stay with me for a long time as well. I'm sure Kennedy sounded wonderful that night. His recording of the Violin Concerto (w/ Handley) is one of my favorite Elgar performances. I wish I could see Elgar's music in the concert hall, but he doesn't get performed all that much by the ASO.

71 dB

Quote from: karlhenning on January 16, 2014, 04:43:29 AM

Interesting story Karl! When was this and who was Nigel Kennedy's accompanist?

Hopefully Enigma Variations has grown on you since...  ;)

Karl Henning

At the University of Virginia in the late-ish '80s.  I wish I recalled the pianist's name!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: karlhenning on January 16, 2014, 10:54:26 AM
At the University of Virginia in the late-ish '80s.  I wish I recalled the pianist's name!

Peter Pettinger perhaps?

Elgar's violin sonata really shook you by the collar so you don't remember her/his name.  ;)

How did get that in that situation Karl? You volunteered?

Karl Henning

My shoulder was tapped.  The fellow who organized the series (TECS it was called, Tuesday Evening Concert Series) was looking for a page-turner, and I was in the graduate student office.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 15, 2014, 05:35:56 PM
I'm not sure what the first Elgar work I heard. Probably the Cello Concerto (du Pre/Barbirolli) and I knew after the first couple of measures of the first movement that this music was going to be quite special to me.

Land of Soap and Borax was the first I remember--at my high school graduation.  After that, I don't remember any Elgar (probably on the radio,  but lost in the airwaves of memory) until I bought a CD with the Enigma Variations coupled with Maisky's recording of the Cello Concerto,  and the Dream of Gerontius came along not long afterward (in Boult's recording).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 16, 2014, 05:27:53 PM
Land of Soap and Borax was the first I remember--at my high school graduation.  After that, I don't remember any Elgar (probably on the radio,  but lost in the airwaves of memory) until I bought a CD with the Enigma Variations coupled with Maisky's recording of the Cello Concerto,  and the Dream of Gerontius came along not long afterward (in Boult's recording).

I'll have to dig back out Sinopoli's Elgar recordings. I remember not being too impressed with them. If I recall, doesn't he drag the movements out in the symphonies for example?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2014, 05:47:05 PM
I'll have to dig back out Sinopoli's Elgar recordings. I remember not being too impressed with them. If I recall, doesn't he drag the movements out in the symphonies for example?

Broad, rather than drag. And even with the slower tempos here Elgar's music never feels sluggish, it still retains the intensity and drive.
Try it, you'll like it!  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 16, 2014, 06:08:44 PM
Broad, rather than drag. And even with the slower tempos here Elgar's music never feels sluggish, it still retains the intensity and drive.
Try it, you'll like it!  8)

Okay, I'll give them a listen this weekend. 8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2014, 06:17:47 PM
Okay, I'll give them a listen this weekend. 8)

Of course the 2nd receives more benefits from Sinopoli's style. It did take a while for me to warm up to his 1st recording, but I love it now.
In fact, it's been a while since I've spun Sinopoli's Enigma disc, perhaps later...

...I'm getting Elgaritus.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 16, 2014, 06:23:42 PM
Of course the 2nd receives more benefits from Sinopoli's style. It did take a while for me to warm up to his 1st recording, but I love it now.
In fact, it's been a while since I've spun Sinopoli's Enigma disc, perhaps later...

...I'm getting Elgaritus.

Ah, yes. Well both symphonies require a different frame of mind and no conductor's approach always works for both, which is why I prefer a more middle-of-the-road interpretation like Andrew Davis' and now even Slatkin's. But it's fun to mix things up sometimes and throw in some Solti or Barbirolli. :)

I did receive some Elgarian goodies in the mail today...

Enigma Variations, Pomp & Circumstance Marches 1-5, Cockaigne Overture, Sir Georg Solti, CSO, LPO, Decca
Symphonies 1 & 2, Cockaigne Overture, Sea Pictures, Sir Charles Mackerras, Della Jones, LSO, Royal Phil., Decca

71 dB

I have Sinopoli's 2nd. I have listened to it only once and I found it weird. Maybe I listen to it again in the near future...
I also need to revisit Elder's 2nd...

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2014, 06:29:37 PM
I did receive some Elgarian goodies in the mail today...

Enigma Variations, Pomp & Circumstance Marches 1-5, Cockaigne Overture, Sir Georg Solti, CSO, LPO, Decca
Symphonies 1 & 2, Cockaigne Overture, Sea Pictures, Sir Charles Mackerras, Della Jones, LSO, Royal Phil., Decca

That's nice, but do you have Elgar's more obscure works* or do you buy canonical Elgar over and over again?  ;)

* I have to confess there's many small works (songs etc.) by Elgar I haven't heard.  :-\