Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

It is a quite wonderful performance. Not my favourite - because the score demands high quality stereophonic sound - but great performances all the same from all concerned.

Coincidentally, the mailman just delivered the Andrew Davis version (not the St-Paul's Cathedral issue, but the Chandos studio one).

Moonfish

Quote from: André on January 15, 2015, 05:43:22 PM
It is a quite wonderful performance. Not my favourite - because the score demands high quality stereophonic sound - but great performances all the same from all concerned.

Coincidentally, the mailman just delivered the Andrew Davis version (not the St-Paul's Cathedral issue, but the Chandos studio one).

I use my mono-ears!  ;)   

Ahh, yes, the Davis TDoG! It is tempting to click on the button....   :-\

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on January 15, 2015, 10:06:53 AM
John,
I just noticed that the film is available at BRO for $8.99!!   Go and get yourself a copy!    8)

Peter

But it's a DVD-R and not a legitimate commercial release. :) Thanks anyway, Peter.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 15, 2015, 06:16:40 PM
But it's a DVD-R and not a legitimate commercial release. :) Thanks anyway, Peter.

Wonder why BRO are selling them if they are not legitimate releases?   ???
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Anybody familiar with the upcoming re-release of the Svetlanov recording of TDoG (1983)?

[asin] B00QW8CV24[/asin]

Anna Lappé

Elgarian

Quote from: Moonfish on January 15, 2015, 01:08:31 PM
Elgar: Cello Concerto      Beatrice Harrison/New Symphony Orchestra/Elgar  (1928)

Definitely a magical top tier performance from Harrison! From now on this one will live next to my du Pré/Barbirolli recording! I was quite surprised at how good the sound was as this is a 1928 recording (it sounds more like a decent 50s one). Regardless, Harrison's playing was mesmerizing, graceful, vibrant and it certainly weaved an Elgarian incantation as the concerto progressed. I am so happy that you suggested this performance, Elgarian.  Thank you! It is a gem! 

The photo below was taken at the recording of the cello concerto!!!

I am not absolutely certain about these things without going off to check, but I think this particular photo was taken during the first recording they made of the cello concerto (an abridged version) about 1920-ish, which was an acoustic recording, not an electrical one.

There is a box of Elgar's acoustic recordings available, but I find listening to them is hard work. Still, it is a shock to hear Marie Hall playing the (abridged) violin concerto in 1916, and be made startlingly aware of the difference in style of playing at that time.

Moonfish

Quote from: Elgarian on January 16, 2015, 12:59:09 AM
I am not absolutely certain about these things without going off to check, but I think this particular photo was taken during the first recording they made of the cello concerto (an abridged version) about 1920-ish, which was an acoustic recording, not an electrical one.

There is a box of Elgar's acoustic recordings available, but I find listening to them is hard work. Still, it is a shock to hear Marie Hall playing the (abridged) violin concerto in 1916, and be made startlingly aware of the difference in style of playing at that time.

Ah, you are right Elgarian! I checked the date for the image and it is from November 1920!!!
Anna Lappé

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Moonfish on January 15, 2015, 10:34:04 PM
Anybody familiar with the upcoming re-release of the Svetlanov recording of TDoG (1983)?

[asin] B00QW8CV24[/asin]

Interesting! Hickox was conducting the chorus? Even more interesting...

A comparative review here: http://www.elgar.org/3gerontr.htm#disco
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

jfdrex

Quote from: Moonfish on January 15, 2015, 10:34:04 PM

[asin] B00QW8CV24[/asin]

I've read about this recording, but this is the first time I've ever seen it listed for sale in the West.  A quick search on YouTube revealed two substantial excerpts (transferred from LP) ~ the Prelude and the Angel's Farewell ("Softly and gently...").

https://www.youtube.com/v/pKBLhzxxgBc

https://www.youtube.com/v/pql5mIqXfBM

It's interesting to learn that Svetlanov's fascination with The Dream of Gerontius dates from the early 1960s, when he heard Sargent conduct it in London, but that wasn't able to conduct it himself until 1983.

Do you know Svetlanov's recording of the Symphony No. 2 and Sea Pictures (sung in Russian by soprano [!] Larisa Avdeyeva, aka Mrs Svetlanov)!  Well worth hearing for a very different (non-British, non-traditional, very Svetlanovian) take on these works.

[asin]B0009JR8LQ[/asin]

jfdrex

Mirror Image

Svetlanov in Gerontius? That should be interesting. He's such an awesome conductor, but I only know his recordings of Russian music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on January 15, 2015, 10:32:22 PM
Wonder why BRO are selling them if they are not legitimate releases?   ???

I'm not sure, but my suggestion to them would be to not sell them at all UNLESS the company who made the DVD-R and BRO have permission from Bridcut himself to distribute such a product.

Moonfish

Quote from: jfdrex on January 16, 2015, 05:08:32 AM
I've read about this recording, but this is the first time I've ever seen it listed for sale in the West.  A quick search on YouTube revealed two substantial excerpts (transferred from LP) ~ the Prelude and the Angel's Farewell ("Softly and gently...").

It's interesting to learn that Svetlanov's fascination with The Dream of Gerontius dates from the early 1960s, when he heard Sargent conduct it in London, but that wasn't able to conduct it himself until 1983.

Do you know Svetlanov's recording of the Symphony No. 2 and Sea Pictures (sung in Russian by soprano [!] Larisa Avdeyeva, aka Mrs Svetlanov)!  Well worth hearing for a very different (non-British, non-traditional, very Svetlanovian) take on these works.

[asin]B0009JR8LQ[/asin]

I was not familiar with Svetlanov's recording of the 2nd symphony. I presume it has more of a Russian feel (brass and pace)?
The YouTube samples definitely make Svetlanov's TDoG appealing....
Anna Lappé

knight66

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 16, 2015, 05:03:54 AM
Interesting! Hickox was conducting the chorus? Even more interesting...

A comparative review here: http://www.elgar.org/3gerontr.htm#disco

Interesting, reading that detailed piece on the then recordings. Taking up the point of two conductors in the Russian version, this is something I once experienced in the Verdi Requiem. Abbado had brought the chorus director of La Scala along and he was to be our conductor within the performance. We only had two rehearsals and frankly we ignored him as a distraction and watched Abbado. Seemingly this is a regular arrangement in Italy. But we could not get the hang of it in such a short period. I do remember the guy emoting like mad at us. During the performances he was placed where we could see him. Athough it has been issued on DVD, the extra wheel remains invisible on the film and I don't think he took a bow. We worked a number of times with Abbado, Lohengrin and then Berlioz Te Deum and St Matthew Passion plus one or two others. But this was the only occasion on which he introduced this practice and I suspect it was because it was Verdi.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

jfdrex

Quote from: Moonfish on January 16, 2015, 06:48:46 AM
I was not familiar with Svetlanov's recording of the 2nd symphony. I presume it has more of a Russian feel (brass and pace)?

You presume correctly! And then some! ;D

David Hurwitz castigates it as a "CD from Hell", and Ralph Moore gives it a one-star review on Amazon.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pictures-Symphony-Svetlanov-USSR-State/dp/B000198AF2

The Gramophone reviewer was more charitable:

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/elgar-sea-pictures-symphony-no-2?utm_expid=32540977-3.FNZqseMjTvyRLIewfMgTiA.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Delgar%2Bsvetlanov%2Bscribendum%26pc%3DMOZI%26form%3DMOZSBR

Perhaps I'm more tolerant than some listeners when it comes to odd/offbeat interpretations of Elgar; I found it quite fascinating if not at all idiomatic.  It's worth hearing, though certainly not at the price currently asked on Amazon.uk.  (It seems to be out of print and hard to find except at exorbitant prices.  I purchased my copy from BRO several years ago.)

André

I received my copy of the Andrew Davis Gerontius yesterday. Coupled w. Sea Pictures. 2-disc set on Chandos. Can't wait for the right time-occasion-frameofmind  :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 16, 2015, 05:39:59 PM
I received my copy of the Andrew Davis Gerontius yesterday. Coupled w. Sea Pictures. 2-disc set on Chandos. Can't wait for the right time-occasion-frameofmind  :D

Please let us know what you think of the performances, Andre!

Moonfish

Quote from: jfdrex on January 16, 2015, 12:47:12 PM
You presume correctly! And then some! ;D

David Hurwitz castigates it as a "CD from Hell", and Ralph Moore gives it a one-star review on Amazon.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pictures-Symphony-Svetlanov-USSR-State/dp/B000198AF2

The Gramophone reviewer was more charitable:

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/elgar-sea-pictures-symphony-no-2?utm_expid=32540977-3.FNZqseMjTvyRLIewfMgTiA.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Delgar%2Bsvetlanov%2Bscribendum%26pc%3DMOZI%26form%3DMOZSBR

Perhaps I'm more tolerant than some listeners when it comes to odd/offbeat interpretations of Elgar; I found it quite fascinating if not at all idiomatic.  It's worth hearing, though certainly not at the price currently asked on Amazon.uk.  (It seems to be out of print and hard to find except at exorbitant prices.  I purchased my copy from BRO several years ago.)

A "cd from hell" is quite extreme. Hmm, now I wonder what that would sound like!  ;)     
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: André on January 16, 2015, 05:39:59 PM

Yes, I understand that aspect very well. It is sometimes hard to find those quiet retrospective moments in life. Enjoy Davis' TDoG!
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on January 16, 2015, 07:02:10 PM
A "cd from hell" is quite extreme. Hmm, now I wonder what that would sound like!  ;)     

There's always room for different interpretations even if we don't necessarily like the results. I would have liked to have heard Svetlanov conduct some Walton or Britten!