Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Mr. Minnow

Also posted in the new releases thread:

Due in June:

Mandryka

https://www.youtube.com/v/AXA3rw1Gilw

Ensemble Organum's current take on the Reichenau Salve Regina, their recording on the Templars CD. This live performance seems more introverted. It's one of my favourite pieces of music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Mandryka on May 25, 2018, 08:03:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/v/AXA3rw1Gilw

Ensemble Organum's current take on the Reichenau Salve Regina, their recording on the Templars CD. This live performance seems more introverted. It's one of my favourite pieces of music.

Glad to see they're still around. Unless I've missed something it's been quite a while since they last released a new recording. Hopefully something is in the pipeline.

Que

One more return to this recording of Marian motets and the Missa pro defunctis by Johannes Prioris (1460 - c 1514). One of the earliest surviving requiems and, like that by Antoine Févin, it might havd been written for Anne of Brittany's funeral in 1514. A few organ interludes on music by contemporary composers.

I wasn't aware of either composer or recording, but it is a real find. Performances by the Capilla Flamenca are spot on as far as I'm concerned. Four male singers, one voice per part, in perfect style of the Low lands. Very nice accoustics with some decay but crystal clear. What else could I ask for?  :)

Coincidentally a 2nd recording of the Requiem as been issued on Accent, performed by the Ensemble Daedelus. First comments I've read are cautious. Well, there is no resson whatsoever to pass this one over, apart from its (in) availability.

More on this recording (scroll down for English): http://www.sonusantiqva.org/i/F/CFlamenca/2003PriorisMProDefunctis.html

Q

San Antone

Quote from: Que on May 27, 2018, 11:20:59 PM

One more return to this recording of Marian motets and the Missa pro defunctis by Johannes Prioris (1460 - c 1514). One of the earliest surviving requiems and, like that by Antoine Févin, it might havd been written for Anne of Brittany's funeral in 1514. A few organ interludes on music by contemporary composers.

I wasn't aware of either composer or recording, but it is a real find. Performances by the Capilla Flamenca are spot on as far as I'm concerned. Four male singers, one voice per part, in perfect style of the Low lands. Very nice accoustics with some decay but crystal clear. What else could I ask for?  :)

Coincidentally a 2nd recording of the Requiem as been issued on Accent, performed by the Ensemble Daedelus. First comments I've read are cautious. Well, there is no resson whatsoever to pass this one over, apart from its (in) availability.

More on this recording (scroll down for English): http://www.sonusantiqva.org/i/F/CFlamenca/2003PriorisMProDefunctis.html

Q

Sounds very interesting and like something I should find.  But, the bit about being one of the first to write a polyphonic setting of the requiem seems somewhat overstated seeing as he came at least 100 years after Machaut's mass.  Nevertheless, your description is enough to whet my appetite.

milk

This is a really pleasurable listen.

TheGSMoeller

One of the loveliest, and most sorrowful pieces of music I've ever heard. I first came across this in Park Chan-Wook's film Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005), which this piece closes out the film, and results in quite a powerful ending. It's performed here by Montserrat Figueras, with Jordi and Arianna Savall.

Mareta nom faces plorar - Anon

Mareta, mareta, no'm faces plorar,
compra'm la nineta avui qu'es el meu sant.
Que tinga la nina hermosos els ulls,
la cara molt fina i els cabells molt rull.

Marieta, Marieta jo es cantaré
una cançoneta que ta adormiré.
Dorm-te, neneta, dorm si tens son.

------------------------------------------------

Mommy, dear Mommy, don't make me cry,
Today is my saint's day, so buy me a doll.
Let the doll have beautiful eyes,
A pretty face and very curly hair.

Mary, little Mary, I will sing you
A ditty and I'll lull you to sleep.
Sleep, little one, sleep, if you're sleepy.

https://www.youtube.com/v/z26GQaiS6TY

Mookalafalas

Quote from: milk on June 07, 2018, 02:06:55 AM

This is a really pleasurable listen.

I read. I acquired. I listened. I concur.
  many thanks ;)
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

damn, he's got a lot of stuff, and it all seems terrific. Decided to drop back a few centuries...

Paniagua? Is his name really "bread and water," or is that a coincidence?
It's all good...

San Antone

Quote from: Mookalafalas on June 12, 2018, 07:38:04 PM
damn, he's got a lot of stuff, and it all seems terrific. Decided to drop back a few centuries...

Paniagua? Is his name really "bread and water," or is that a coincidence?

Eduardo Paniagua is an interesting guy: percussionist, wind player, conductor and accomplished architect, record label owner (Pneuma).  His specialty is Medieval Spanish music - and you're right, it all seems excellent.

Mandryka

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 11, 2018, 03:07:17 PM
One of the loveliest, and most sorrowful pieces of music I've ever heard. I first came across this in Park Chan-Wook's film Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005), which this piece closes out the film, and results in quite a powerful ending. It's performed here by Montserrat Figueras, with Jordi and Arianna Savall.

Mareta nom faces plorar - Anon

Mareta, mareta, no'm faces plorar,
compra'm la nineta avui qu'es el meu sant.
Que tinga la nina hermosos els ulls,
la cara molt fina i els cabells molt rull.

Marieta, Marieta jo es cantaré
una cançoneta que ta adormiré.

------------------------------------------------

Mommy, dear Mommy, don't make me cry,
Today is my saint's day, so buy me a doll.
Let the doll have beautiful eyes,
A pretty face and very curly hair.

Mary, little Mary, I will sing you
A ditty and I'll lull you to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/v/z26GQaiS6TY

Good find! From this CD, the songs always make me think of Grieg. I remember my excitement when I first heard them and I even tried to get Florestan to hear them, but he's a bit of a lost cause I suspect

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on June 13, 2018, 03:03:36 AM
Eduardo Paniagua is an interesting guy: percussionist, wind player, conductor and accomplished architect, record label owner (Pneuma).  His specialty is Medieval Spanish music - and you're right, it all seems excellent.

There's so much stuff by him it's overwhelming, I don't know what I'm hearing, it becomes hard to say anything more than "seems excellent"

This is a general problem for me with most music! I'm going to do a course in London next year on Medieval Music, which may help me put a bit of structure on it all.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on May 24, 2018, 10:41:29 AM
Also posted in the new releases thread:

Due in June:

Very forceful singing, like in their Endzeitfragmente, Sequentia are always interesting.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on July 15, 2018, 12:41:51 AM
Very forceful singing, like in their Endzeitfragmente, Sequentia are always interesting.

Too bloody forceful if you ask me. In this and Enszeitfragmente they seem to have sacrificed nuance and refinement for melodrama and punch. Part of it may be a product of recording quality, in the later recordings they sound like they're singing right in my face. Don't like it.

Que

Zeus

Quote from: kishnevi on July 05, 2015, 01:24:39 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/arts_culture/2015/07/now_playing_harpsichord_of_columbus_era_sounds_again

Digging this post out of obscurity.  I found this disc...

Il Cembalo di Partenope
Catalina Vicens
Carpe Diem

[asin]B06WLJ95Z6[/asin]

I'll download it and check it out, but I am by no means an expert!  Midgley likes it.

UPDATE: the sound is very clear and bright.  On a couple of tracks she really jams.  Who knew?

I bet they sold a lot of harpischords back in the day!
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

San Antone

I purchased this recently and have been very happy with it:

The Lily & the Rose
The Binchois Consort, Andrew Kirkman

A beautifully constructed (and lavishly illustrated) programme of motets from late medieval England.

Mandryka

Ensemble Beautus are an all male quartet based in Limousin. I'd say the sound they make is richer than Orlando Consort,  more chocolate and plum They let the music breath and they know how to perform expressively. I like the above very much, a good selection. Mostly a capella, the occasional instrument.

Mandryka

I've been listening to Ludus Danielis today, starting with Clemencic (which for me is spoilt by long periods of narration in a language I don't understand) Anyway this one from The Harp Consort seems to me to be a real knockout: refined and heartfelt singing, subtle and tasteful instruments,  not specially Eastern sounding - characterful without being alien.