I got four release of them all greats, they did an incredible job so far whit:

- Gace Brulé
- Herz Prich!: Medieval German music
- Song's from the crusade
- Vocal(medieval music) Aubertin d'Airaines

The quality of the offering in league whit

ensemble Tetrakys

Carlo Gesualdo

All I found so far are compilations featuring some work of him, yet he seems like a major actor in Ars Vetus.

He deserves a full length of all is work on an album, done top notch. What is available now of mister Petrus de Cruces.

Mandryka

Sequentia recorded two songs by Petrus De Cruce here, very attractive music making IMO

And there's an interesting left field recording with one track by him here - you should check out this CD

In addition, David Monroe recorded one motet by him, also attractive. And there's a recording of a motet by the American ensemble Blue Heron.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

I think this may well be the most important release of early c16 music of the past decade, if not longer, and it's certainly one of the most valuable contribution that Beauty Farm has made, they've unearthed a very fine if uneven composer, a composer with a voice of his own, not a second rate Josquin imitator at all.

Listening right now to the mass "myn liefkens bruyn ooghen" - this is magnificent music.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on December 01, 2019, 10:15:13 PM

I think this may well be the most important release of Early c16 music of the past decade, if not longer, and it's certainly the most valuable contribution that Beauty Farm has made, they've unearthed a very fine if uneven composer, a composer with a voice of his own, not a second rate Josquin imitator at all.

Listening right now to the mass "myn liefkens bruyn ooghen" - this is magnificent music.

I'm definitely going to try it out, but those hideous covers....  ???

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on December 01, 2019, 10:18:08 PM

Q

At least he's kept his kit on.

JBS

Quote from: Que on December 01, 2019, 10:18:08 PM

Q

Quote from: Mandryka on December 01, 2019, 10:21:22 PM
At least he's kept his kit on.

That's one of the better cover images. 

Given how little Bauldeweyn has been recorded, it is a must have CD, but the bass voice as drone tended to bother me.  The same thing appears on other BF recordings, but not nearly so prominent, so perhaps some blame goes to the composers.  [To be clear, the drone effect is the ONLY problem I have with Beauty Farm's performances.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Quote from: JBS on December 02, 2019, 10:46:08 AM

Given how little Bauldeweyn has been recorded, it is a must have CD, but the bass voice as drone tended to bother me.  The same thing appears on other BF recordings, but not nearly so prominent, so perhaps some blame goes to the composers.  [To be clear, the drone effect is the ONLY problem I have with Beauty Farm's performances.]

They seem pretty restrained in the bass department in the Bauldeweyn compared with the first Gombert, for example - some people see their bass  as a strength so go figure. On the whole I think they're better at balance than many other groups (eg Diabolus in Musica, whose big fat bass in concert was indecent.)

Anyway, what I want to say really is that Que MUST buy the Bauldeweyn NOW!!!!!! If he doesn't like it I will buy if off him (for 1p). Listening to the Missa Almana now, this is first class music given an inspired rendition.

Harry

I heartily dislike the Beauty Farm's performances, especially for their choir balance, and intonations which irritate me no end. I make a wide detour if it comes to the music they record.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on December 03, 2019, 07:45:37 AM
I heartily dislike the Beauty Farm's performances, especially for their choir balance, and intonations which irritate me no end. I make a wide detour if it comes to the music they record.

They're a bit like a barber shop quartet. With dissonance.

Traverso

Quote from: "Harry" on December 03, 2019, 07:45:37 AM

+1

So I'm not the only one

Harry

Quote from: Traverso on December 03, 2019, 08:02:07 AM
+1

So I'm not the only one

No you are not, most of my classical music friends carry the same sentiment.

Mandryka

Well, whatever you feel about their sonority, there's no other way of hearing the Bauldewein and indeed the Gombert, so I for one rejoice that they have done it. And indeed I recall thinking they had interesting ideas in the Ockeghem and de la Rue too, so again I am happy to have these things.

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on December 03, 2019, 08:58:28 AM
Well, whatever you feel about their sonority, there's no other way of hearing the Bauldewein and indeed the Gombert, so I for one rejoice that they have done it. And indeed I recall thinking they had interesting ideas in the Ockeghem and de la Rue too, so again I am happy to have these things.

Of course you do and I understand, but despite, its not for me. I await my time :)

Mandryka

This looks like a potentially good resource, Lexique Musical de la Renaissance , though clearly embryonic at the moment, I got to find out about it through exploring the website of the keyboard player Jesús Noguera Guillén, who has made some contributions.

http://www.ums3323.paris-sorbonne.fr/LMR/en/indexAnglais.html

Just looking in the lexicon for dissonance I see that, for example, Titelouze wrote

QuoteComme le Peintre vse d'ombrage en son tableau pour mieux faire paroistre les rayons du jour & de la clairté, ainsi nous meslons des dissonnances parmy les consonnances, comme secondes, septiesmes & leurs repliques, pour faire encore mieux remarqur leur douceur : & ces dissonnances se font oüir suportables bien apliquées & a propos : l'exemple des bons autheurs le permet bien: mais cela s'authorise beaucoup mieux dans les nombres, ou nous voyons ces dissonnances estre douces & supportables selon qu’elles sont contenües & produittes sous raisons & proportions superparticulieres ou superpartientes, aprochantes des racines Harmoniques

Mandryka

Quote from: JBS on December 02, 2019, 10:46:08 AM

Where is the bass voice drone in the Bauldeweyn?

I really don't share Harry and his friends' reservations about Beauty Farm's sonority, I'm enjoying this CD tremendously (listening at the moment to the mass Tous Les Regrets.)

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on December 09, 2019, 12:49:02 PM
Where is the bass voice drone in the Bauldeweyn?

I really don't share Harry and his friends' reservations about Beauty Farm's sonority, I'm enjoying this CD tremendously (listening at the moment to the mass Tous Les Regrets.)

It will not be available in the USA until Jan. 1, 2020 - but I will certainly want to hear it.  I too do not share Harry's opinion of Beauty Farm.  While I find their choice of cover art objectionable, I think their music-making displays excellent taste.  The same is true for The Sound and the Fury.

Carlo Gesualdo

What is wrong whit Beauty Farm or The Sound and the Fury, I find them good myself I have some of there releases there nice does, one may or may not like them, but I think there quite fairly strong, love there stuff in the past so.

But  by the way anyone heard Jachet de mantoue by ensemble Jachet de Mantoue, If you dont like his lamentation of jeremiah, You will foresakenly make an enemy out of me.And don't dare attacking New York Polyphony ensemble.Have a nice day or night whatever.

prémont

I think this may well be the most important release of early c16 music of the past decade, if not longer, and it's certainly one of the most valuable contribution that Beauty Farm has made, they've unearthed a very fine if uneven composer, a composer with a voice of his own, not a second rate Josquin imitator at all.

Taking you at your word I have downloaded this CD from Presto, a process which furthermore has given me the benefit of avoiding the horrid cover. 
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

San Antone

I agree that it is wonderful music, and performed very well.  William Baldwin, or Bauldeweyn, is certainly a composer one wishes would be better represented with recordings.