Author Topic: Grazyna Bacewicz (1909-1969)  (Read 38381 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the water...
Re: Grazyna Bacewicz (1909-1969)
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2019, 08:50:06 AM »
I tend to prefer her earlier works, e.g. the Violin Concerto No. 1, the Piano Quintet No. 1.  Her later works tend to sound more bland to me.

I feel similarly. I think her later music tries too hard to be ‘avant-garde' or ‘cutting edge’ when it’s obvious that others did this much better (i. e. Ligeti, Xenakis, etc.).
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2019, 05:37:20 PM »
I don't hear Ligeti or Xenakis in her later works at all. Nor do I think that those two composers ever had a monopoly on the avant-garde!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2019, 05:43:05 PM »
I don't hear Ligeti or Xenakis in her later works at all. Nor do I think that those two composers ever had a monopoly on the avant-garde!

But my point is her brand of avant-garde isn’t my cup of my tea and I like her earlier music better.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2019, 05:58:30 PM »
But my point is her brand of avant-garde isn’t my cup of my tea and I like her earlier music better.
That's fair enough. I just found it odd that you brought up Ligeti and Xenakis. Different generation, completely different sound world. Of course, if you don't like it, then you don't like it!

On a related note, can someone tell me if there are any other recordings of Bacewicz's VCs outside of the Chandos discs? Those sound great, but Chandos is never easy on the wallet.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2019, 06:06:50 PM »
That's fair enough. I just found it odd that you brought up Ligeti and Xenakis. Different generation, completely different sound world. Of course, if you don't like it, then you don't like it!

On a related note, can someone tell me if there are any other recordings of Bacewicz's VCs outside of the Chandos discs? Those sound great, but Chandos is never easy on the wallet.

But if you listen to Bacewicz’s later works, you will find that I’m not too far off and I was just using Ligeti and Xenakis as an example --- as poor of an example as they may be. Anyway, I’m afraid you’re out of luck with the VCs. There has been perhaps one or two VCs recorded outside of Chandos on the Dux label, but you’ll pay a premium price for those recordings as well. Dux recordings are usually around the same price as BIS recordings the best I can remember. If you really want the VCs, the Chandos is the only game in town right now.