What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: aleazk on May 22, 2017, 02:49:17 PM
KMN BERLIN at Teatro Colón, Buenos Aires:

Georg Friedrich Haas - In Vain

But only in November...

---

A few days ago I saw, in the same place, Slagwerk Den Haag playing:

Tenney - Having never written a note (but they did it with five spatialized tam-tams)

Xenakis - Pléiades

It was amazing! (both pieces!) the best concert I saw in recent times.

Glad to see you here again! That concert featuring Tenney and Xenakis must have been wonderful. Certainly a bit jealous haha. :P

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 22, 2017, 02:46:19 PM
Great! Let us know what you thought of the opera.
I will! In the meantime here is a trailer.......

https://www.youtube.com/v/ifCCPa8j5ss

I believe it is a production taken from some other opera company again, as Opera Australia tends to import a lot of productions rather than focus on primarily local talent. Bit of a shame that this is their main approach, but the production looks marvellous from the trailer anyway so it should be a real treat for the eyes and ears.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Well, the opera was certainly a wonderful and unique experience. Awful acting. The dancers were particularly good during he second act! Somehow the giant head reminded me of how humanity's ego and sense of self importance above other forms of life and ways of life inflates exponentially the more we obsess over religion. Can't wait to see it again on Saturday.

bhodges

Quote from: jessop on May 22, 2017, 02:28:34 PM
Often the newer works are performed at the start, but it seems to make perfect sense to begin with a concerto and end with something that includes voices....only because I guess that's what people would be used to anyway. :) I love the middle work especially.

After that Brahms Violin Concerto, there were a few defectors at intermission, but not many. And those who remained for the Thorvaldsdottir and Salonen were quite vocal in their appreciation at the end. The Salonen piece is so over-the-top that it almost couldn't be anywhere else BUT the end. I'm full of admiration for Alan Gilbert, giving the new pieces this kind of positive platform.

Quote from: aleazk on May 22, 2017, 02:49:17 PM
KMN BERLIN at Teatro Colón, Buenos Aires:

Georg Friedrich Haas - In Vain

But only in November...

---

A few days ago I saw, in the same place, Slagwerk Den Haag playing:

Tenney - Having never written a note (but they did it with five spatialized tam-tams)

Xenakis - Pléiades

It was amazing! (both pieces!) the best concert I saw in recent times.

And these two concerts look incredible. I've heard the Haas once -- it's a fun ride, well worth it, with the orchestra plunging into darkness at times, indicated in the score. And the Xenakis is terrific live.

--Bruce

bhodges

Tomorrow afternoon:

The MET Orchestra
Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor
Karen Cargill, mezzo-soprano
Stuart Skelton, tenor

Schumann: Symphony No. 3 "Rhenish"
Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde

--Bruce

NikF

Mahler Symphony No.3

Peter Oundjian
RSNO
Susan Platts - Mezzo-Soprano
Ladies of the RSNO Chorus
RSNO Junior Chorus

On Saturday night -
I've had tickets for months but more recently been undecided about attending. Right now all my classical music CDs are in storage (in anticipation of me moving house) and I've mostly been listening to jazz. Then again, it's Mahler 3, it's the season finale, and an evening at a concert would probably do me good.

e: anyway, it's being broadcast via BBC Radio 3 if anyone has access and is interested.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

bhodges

Quote from: NikF on June 02, 2017, 06:06:16 PM
Mahler Symphony No.3

Peter Oundjian
RSNO
Susan Platts - Mezzo-Soprano
Ladies of the RSNO Chorus
RSNO Junior Chorus

On Saturday night -
I've had tickets for months but more recently been undecided about attending. Right now all my classical music CDs are in storage (in anticipation of me moving house) and I've mostly been listening to jazz. Then again, it's Mahler 3, it's the season finale, and an evening at a concert would probably do me good.

e: anyway, it's being broadcast via BBC Radio 3 if anyone has access and is interested.

Wish I could hear this, but at broadcast time will be elsewhere. But hope you go -- looks like it could be quite a good evening.

--Bruce

GioCar

Next season, with the Filarmonica della Scala

A mini Mahler-marathon:

Symphony No. 2 - Daniele Gatti
Symphony No. 3 - Riccardo Chailly
Symphony No. 6 - Franz Welser-Möst
Symphony No. 9 - Herbert Blomstedt

NikF

Quote from: Brewski on June 02, 2017, 08:03:46 PM
Wish I could hear this, but at broadcast time will be elsewhere. But hope you go -- looks like it could be quite a good evening.

--Bruce

In the light of the day I've decided to have dinner in a restaurant not too far away followed by a casual stroll along the river to the venue. It's Mahler 3 - come Sunday if I didn't go I'd be kicking myself.
And hopefully Radio 3 will arranged a repeat and you'll have opportunity to listen. :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

nodogen

Martin Bartlett is the pianist who recently won the BBC Young Musician award. He is giving a performance at my local theatre in November (!) and I am already looking forward to it ; as well as works by Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Bach and Liszt he is playing a sonata by my favourite of favourites: Scriabin. Yay.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kishnevi

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 05, 2017, 08:42:10 AM
Oof.  In a specialized sense which I am sure you will understand, Brian, I enjoyed your article.

Ouch ouch.  I would have gone out, found a bar, and come back sloshed to hear the symphony.

I was a mite surprised to see you at the bottom, and not Daffy Duck.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Brian on June 05, 2017, 07:57:42 AM
Hopefully, never this again.
http://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/the-dallas-symphony-orchestra-screwed-up-saturday-night-9533196
I am curious as to why there was a mixture of fact and fiction......was it an attempt to make the actual content of the lecture more interesting for an audience? To give them something to connect to in the lecture itself? It is certainly possible to make a really interesting lecture about a piece of music without forcing a programmatic reinterpretation on the audience, isn't it?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Any fans of British music who happen to be in the Chicago area should take note of this. Coming up Friday and Saturday:

Grant Park Orchestra and Chorus
Carlos Kalmar, conductor
Sara Jakubiak, soprano
David John Pike, baritone
Britten: Peter Grimes: Four Sea Interludes and Passacaglia
Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony

This is not one of my fave VW works, but it should make for great outdoor music. Also, Kalmar has a good track record with this kind of material.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Tonight, tomorrow and the next day: Haydn's Creation oratorio conducted by Andrew Davis.

Mahlerian

Quote from: jessop on June 14, 2017, 02:58:09 PM
Tonight, tomorrow and the next day: Haydn's Creation oratorio conducted by Andrew Davis.

Best of luck with the performances!
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mahlerian on June 14, 2017, 03:21:46 PM
Best of luck with the performances!
Thanks! First time I've sung with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra Chorus so this is rather exciting for me. 8)

Christo

Saturday, June 17, Amsterdam Concertgebouw:

Debussy - Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
Vasks - Flute Concerto
Saint-Saëns - Symphony in c Op. 78 'Organ'

NedPhO, directed by Mei-Ann Chen with Leon Berendse, flute
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

This evening I attended a splendid concert:

ORCHESTRA  DE  CAMERĂ RADIO (Bucharest Radio Chamber Orchestra)
Dirijor (Conductor): JANKÓ FERENC - ZSOLT
Solist (Solist): SABIN PENEA – vioară (violin)

F. Mendelssohn:  Uvertura la Visul unei nopți de vară, op. 21 (AMSND Overture)
W.A. Mozart: Concertul nr. 3 în Sol major pentru vioară şi orchestră, KV 216 (Violin Concerto No. 3)
J. Haydn: Simfonia nr. 104 în Re major Hob. I:104 (Symphony 104)

The Mozart VC3 is not my favorite (4 and 5 are) but it's a mighty fine work, and this young Romanian violinist performed it with commitment and he obviously emjoyed playing it. He offered as encore Enescu's The Country Fiddler (from op. 28) and literally electrified the audience, which responded enthusiastically.

The Mendelssohn and the Haydn were very finely performed, as well.

I enjoyed this concert enormously, and so did my wife. I can hardly wait for the time when our son will join us, too.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy