What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jochanaan

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2013, 07:48:42 AM
All conductors are hit and miss, because there's not one conductor who is always 'on' or completely inspired. It's like me with the guitar, for example, one day I'm playing well and then the next day I can't seem to do anything right. Music performance is such a mysterious thing.
But at the world-class level, in which Eschenbach is supposed to be, one expects at least a total dedication to the music and the moment at every concert.  It sounds like Eschenbach's main mission, at least on that night, was to make sure the orchestra played beautifully--at the expense of dynamics and urgency.  That's not the best way to approach Brahms or even Mozart.  Both composers' music needs intensity along with the beauty.  That's why some musicians and even critics say that a certain ugliness is necessary for a good performance; if that raw edge isn't there (however hidden), the music won't be magic.

As for the slow tempos, you can make those work--witness Celibidache--but not without dynamic intensity and a sense of structure.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Mirror Image

Quote from: jochanaan on December 11, 2013, 03:19:27 PM
But at the world-class level, in which Eschenbach is supposed to be, one expects at least a total dedication to the music and the moment at every concert.  It sounds like Eschenbach's main mission, at least on that night, was to make sure the orchestra played beautifully--at the expense of dynamics and urgency.  That's not the best way to approach Brahms or even Mozart.  Both composers' music needs intensity along with the beauty.  That's why some musicians and even critics say that a certain ugliness is necessary for a good performance; if that raw edge isn't there (however hidden), the music won't be magic.

As for the slow tempos, you can make those work--witness Celibidache--but not without dynamic intensity and a sense of structure.

Even world-class musicians make mistakes and have off-nights which is my whole point. There's inspired playing and there's just going through the motions. I never denied that Eschenbach wasn't prone to many bad nights nor did I deny that he lacked consistency, but when he's 'on' and inspired, the result is always one of excellence. Of course, I'm not familiar with a lot of his recent work as a conductor, but I was quite impressed with a number of his recordings back when he was principal conductor of the Houston Symphony Orchestra.

Fafner

I was looking forward to tonight's concert at the local symphony hall (all Tchaikovsky program, Violin Concerto & Symphony No. 6), but sadly, I cannot go.  It was the one concert I was most interested in from the entire season.  :'(
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

bhodges

This Sunday afternoon at Carnegie, an all-Mahler program with the MET Orchestra and Levine. I haven't heard Levine do the 7th live, so excited about that.

The MET Orchestra
James Levine, Music Director and Conductor
Peter Mattei, Baritone

Mahler
: Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen
Mahler: Symphony No. 7

--Bruce

toledobass

Let us know what you think Bruce.  I heard some of the Falstaff broadcast and thought highly of the little portion that I heard. 

A

springrite

Quote from: Brewski on December 18, 2013, 09:05:24 AM
This Sunday afternoon at Carnegie, an all-Mahler program with the MET Orchestra and Levine. I haven't heard Levine do the 7th live, so excited about that.

The MET Orchestra
Peter Mattei, Baritone

Mahler

--Bruce

Now, that's a concert my family would appreciate! I will have to remind Kimi not to sing along Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen! But I will be there for the 7th.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

North Star

In 90 minutes:
Heinrich Schütz: Christmas Oratorio

Helsinki Baroque Orchestra
Kajsa Dahlbäck, Anna Immonen (sop)
Teppo Lampela (countertenor)
Jussi Salonen (tenor)
Herman Wallén, Sampo Haapaniemi (baritones)
Gustav Eriksson (bass)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

pjme

Tomorrow, in Antwerp:

Dazu ist erschienen der Sohn Gottes, BWV40    Johann Sebastian Bach

Gelobet seist du, Jesu Christ, BWV91    Johann Sebastian Bach

Jauchzet, frohlocket! Auf, preiset die Tage, BWV248I    Johann Sebastian Bach

Ricercar Consort
Philippe Pierlot
soprano    Hannah Morrison
altus    Pascal Bertin
tenor    Hans Jörg Mammel
bas    Matthias Vieweg

MishaK

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 12, 2013, 03:04:46 AM
Even world-class musicians make mistakes and have off-nights which is my whole point. There's inspired playing and there's just going through the motions. I never denied that Eschenbach wasn't prone to many bad nights nor did I deny that he lacked consistency, but when he's 'on' and inspired, the result is always one of excellence. Of course, I'm not familiar with a lot of his recent work as a conductor, but I was quite impressed with a number of his recordings back when he was principal conductor of the Houston Symphony Orchestra.

Well, I'm pleased to report that Eschenbach did a very fine Bruckner 9 here in Chicago this past weekend. A few slightly odd ritardandos, but nothing terribly jarring or crazy. And the orchestra sounded glorious.

madaboutmahler

Over the last week, I have been on orchestral courses with our county youth orchestra and schools symphony orchestra.

With the youth orchestra/Peter Stark (!): Brahms Academic Festival, Wagner Lohengrin Act 1/3 Preludes and Siegfried Murmurs, Dvorak 8. Was on cymbals for Brahms and Wagner. Playing this part in the Lohengrin Act 1 prelude was particularly emotional.. an honour to play in such heavenly music.

With the Schools Symphony Orchestra/Ben Gernon: Adams Short Ride in a Fast Machine, Dvorak 5, Ginastera Estancia Suite. Was on antique cymbals, tambourine and tam tam for the Adams, triangle for the Dvorak and tambourine for the Ginastera. Soooo much fun! :D
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: MishaK on December 23, 2013, 09:50:33 AM
Well, I'm pleased to report that Eschenbach did a very fine Bruckner 9 here in Chicago this past weekend. A few slightly odd ritardandos, but nothing terribly jarring or crazy. And the orchestra sounded glorious.

Good to hear. I knew he had it in him for a great performance. 8)

MishaK

Btw, I haven't been here in a while, but why is my avatar gone?

bhodges

Quote from: Brewski on December 18, 2013, 09:05:24 AM

The MET Orchestra
Peter Mattei, Baritone

Mahler

--Bruce

Quote from: toledobass on December 19, 2013, 04:31:52 AM
Let us know what you think Bruce.  I heard some of the Falstaff broadcast and thought highly of the little portion that I heard. 

A

This concert was so good that - with one exception - I haven't listened to any music since last Sunday, being content to let the strains of both Mahler works run pleasantly through my head. (On Christmas Eve I went over to some friends and brought Richard Strauss's Rosenkavalier for a spin - the DVD conducted by Christian Thielemann. We only had time to watch a portion, but it was mightily impressive.)

Anyway, back to the concert: Peter Mattei was extraordinary in the song cycle. It seemed the near-ideal match of work and artist (and there are many fine singers who have done these over the years), and the Met ensemble was luminous.

In the Seventh, I just loved it, though some found a number of glitches here and there (probably due to the sheer exhaustion of the group at midway during the season) but I didn't notice many. Levine's concept perhaps veered away from the nightmarish and more toward the comfortably upholstered side, but I'll take it, when delivered with such passion. One friend who knows his Mahler thought it the best live 7th he had ever heard. (Not agreeing, just repeating the news.) If anything, Levine seemed to have even more energy than in his two previous appearances this year.

Anyway, an unforgettable afternoon. IMHO, these Levine/MET Orchestra concerts are occasions to be savored, no matter what is on the menu.

--Bruce

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: MishaK on December 26, 2013, 08:30:50 AM
Btw, I haven't been here in a while, but why is my avatar gone?

I see it. And good to see you posting again  :)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Don't know if I'll be able to make it (it's down at the U of C, quite a trek for me), but this looks interesting. Notably a rare chance to hear Wally Piston's excellent Piano 5tet:

Chicago Ensemble
Bach: Cantata Aria
Chausson: Chanson Perpetuelle
Piston: Piano Quintet
DeFalla: Seven Popular Spanish Songs
Bridge: Quintet in D Minor
3 p.m. International House, Hyde Park
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Lisztianwagner

On next 18th January, Teatro alla Scala:

Jean Sibelius
Finlandia
Jean Sibelius
Concerto per violino in re min.
Anton Bruckner
Sinfonia no.6

Violin Leonidas Kavakos
Conductor Riccardo Chailly
Wiener Philharmoniker
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 10, 2014, 01:41:40 PM
On next 18th January, Teatro alla Scala:

Jean Sibelius
Finlandia
Jean Sibelius
Concerto per violino in re min.
Anton Bruckner
Sinfonia no.6

Violin Leonidas Kavakos
Conductor Riccardo Chailly
Wiener Philharmoniker

Damn! A fine program, Ilaria. Enjoy!

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 10, 2014, 01:48:14 PM
Damn! A fine program, Ilaria. Enjoy!

Thank you, John; that's a gorgeous programme indeed, I'm looking forward to it! But I'll listen to everything, maybe even Verdi, to see the Wiener Philharmoniker live. ;)
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 10, 2014, 02:22:30 PM
Thank you, John; that's a gorgeous programme indeed, I'm looking forward to it! But I'll listen to everything, maybe even Verdi, to see the Wiener Philharmoniker live. ;)

Yeah, I'm jealous, because Bruckner's 6th remains, for me, one of the most incredible symphonies I know. 8)