The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Parry: Symphonies on Chandos. Every time I see these under $30, they seem to be out of stock. Sees like this is no different, but figured I'd mention the big price drop ($27.99 or nearly 50% off)...
[asin]B000000AQQ[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

scarlattiglenross

What is the cheapest source thou Super-Duper Cheap Bargain hunters have located for this?

[asin]B0050F6JQE[/asin]
http://www.frozenreeds.com/
Now available: Morton Feldman - Crippled Symmetry: at June in Buffalo, performed by The Feldman Soloists (Eberhard Blum, Nils Vigeland, Jan Williams)

spooky

Complete-Psalms-Sweelinck
[asin]B007IJKKV0[/asin]

just arrived this AM - and is the full 12 disc set from Amazon.ca for $21 - now they have increased to $74.02
But Amazon.com has for $22.37 still, grab it while you can - incredible bargain !!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Psalms-Sweelinck/dp/B007IJKKV0/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1335281445&sr=1-2
"...when the night came, tortured by the usual melancholy of my thoughts, taking a vihuela,
I went out by a back door to the fields, to put aside my worries, and to enjoy the fresh wind
that was blowing..." Rojas, 1603

kishnevi

1) Hyperion is having a small clearance sale, with a number of CDs for 4GBP. 
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/o.asp?o=1036
This is in addition to their normal Please Buy Me page.
And, for those that have not ordered from Hyperion before,  they have bulk discounts of 10 percent or more, and shipping is included in the price (don't know about VAT for people who live in VAT applicable countries).

2)Just wondering if Amazon has notified anyone yet that they've actually shipped that Dvorak set.  My order, including the non Dvorak items, is still sitting under the rubric of "not yet shipped".

Elgarian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 26, 2012, 12:52:09 PM
Just wondering if Amazon has notified anyone yet that they've actually shipped that Dvorak set.  My order, including the non Dvorak items, is still sitting under the rubric of "not yet shipped".

Jeffrey, I've had an email telling me that the expected delivery date has been put back a couple of weeks. So I don't think there's cause for concern.

stingo

The delivery estimate for the Dvorak for me in the States is May 7-9.

Will Sheard

Quote from: Elgarian on April 26, 2012, 01:12:40 PM
Jeffrey, I've had an email telling me that the expected delivery date has been put back a couple of weeks. So I don't think there's cause for concern.

Same here.
Whoso would be a man must be a non-conformist - Ralph Waldo Emerson

kishnevi

I've received no emails, and the "delivery estimate" remains what it was when I ordered it:  4/30 to 5/4.  So I was wondering (especially as the Dvorak is not the only item on the order.)   The item page now tells prospective buyers that it "usually ships in 9 to 11 days".

Thanks for the responses.

Wanderer

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 26, 2012, 12:52:09 PM
1) Hyperion is having a small clearance sale, with a number of CDs for 4GBP. 
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/o.asp?o=1036
This is in addition to their normal Please Buy Me page.
And, for those that have not ordered from Hyperion before,  they have bulk discounts of 10 percent or more, and shipping is included in the price (don't know about VAT for people who live in VAT applicable countries).

Demidenko's Medtner for £4! A steal if I ever saw one.  8)

Drasko

Amazon has now Neumann Dvorak set reduced in price to $6.39! I'm cheated for $1.6  :o ;D (of course if anything comes of this in the first place)

Opus106

Quote from: Drasko on April 28, 2012, 01:22:01 AM
Amazon has now Neumann Dvorak set reduced in price to $6.39! I'm cheated for $1.6  :o ;D (of course if anything comes of this in the first place)

I'm waiting for it to come down further. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

The Suk-Paneka LvB violin sonatas set is now going for under $9. (But this one too can't ship be shipped immediately.)

[asin]B0072A4EZ8[/asin]

Oh, and there's a not-so-flattering review of Neumann cycle -- its recorded sound, to be more specific -- at Amazon now.

Regards,
Navneeth

KeithW

Quote from: Drasko on April 28, 2012, 01:22:01 AM
Let's see if the pre-order price guarantee works.

Opus106

Quote from: KeithW on April 28, 2012, 06:02:58 AM
Let's see if the pre-order price guarantee works.

Would it? This recent price drop occurred after the release date, no? The Guarantee offers the item at the lowest price it reached before that date.
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Quote from: Opus106 on April 28, 2012, 05:39:21 AM

Oh, and there's a not-so-flattering review of Neumann cycle -- its recorded sound, to be more specific -- at Amazon now.

There is a very flattering review of the Neumann cycle by David Hurwitz, including a very well-chosen sound clip from the Seventh, a few astute comparisons to other cycles (including Neumann digital), and, of course, a catty sideswipe at the HIP movement.

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on April 30, 2012, 04:27:14 PM
There is a very flattering review of the Neumann cycle by David Hurwitz, including a very well-chosen sound clip from the Seventh, a few astute comparisons to other cycles (including Neumann digital), and, of course, a catty sideswipe at the HIP movement.

Thanks, Brian. I've mostly given up on CT after the recent 'upgrade' of their website -- the search facility is downright bad.
Regards,
Navneeth

The new erato

Quote from: Opus106 on May 01, 2012, 01:18:40 AM
Thanks, Brian. I've mostly given up on CT after the recent 'upgrade' of their website -- the search facility is downright bad.
Was it ever any good?

Anyways; if you look at it once weekly you get to see what you need.

Opus106

Quote from: The new erato on May 01, 2012, 02:11:13 AM
Was it ever any good?

Setting the quality of the reviews aside, it was at least returning results relevant to the search parameters provided. These days, when I give the composer's name, conductor and soloist names (notwithstanding the two or three alternatives spellings it suggests to me for some European names), it simply returns 500 reviews, starting from the latest!

Anyways; if you look at it once weekly you get to see what you need.

I'm not a regular visitor as such, and rarely interested in reviews of the latest recordings.
Regards,
Navneeth

AnthonyAthletic

A very fine 6cd set of Requiem music.  The stalewarts are there along with many others I do not know.  Du Carroy, Liotti, Krafft, Alain & Cavalli all new works to me.

I spotted this whilst surfin' at the price of £0.59p "Fifty Nine English Pennies" for 6 cds sold by Mediamops of Germany (via most Amazon's).  Amazon have it for £38.21p.

Requiem 6cd Set

[asin]B000034CC2[/asin]

Johannes Ockeghem : Requiem (Missa pro Defunctis), for 3-4 voices (introit, Kyrie, gradual, offertory)
Eustache du Caurroy : Requiem Aeternam
Antonio Lotti : Missa Pro Defunctis
François-Joseph Krafft : Missa di Requiem     
Giuseppe Verdi : Requiem Mass, for soloists, chorus & orchestra (Manzoni Requiem)
Jehan Alain : Messe de Requiem, for chorus & organ, JA 125 (AWV 112)
Heinrich Schütz : Nacket bin ich vom Mutterleibe kommen, for double chorus & continuo
Francesco Cavalli : Requiem (Missa pro defunctis), for 8 voices & continuo
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Requiem for soloists, chorus, and orchestra, K. 626
Franz Liszt : Confutatis & Lacrymosa aus dem Requiem K. 626 von Mozart, transcription for piano, S. 550
Charles Gounod : Requiem for soloists, chorus & piano or organ in C major (arranged & edited by H. Busser)
Gabriel Fauré : Requiem, for 2 solo voices, chorus, organ & orchestra, Op. 48

Album : Requiem for a Millennium
Release Date : 1999
Label : Arion [610004]
Time : 402:11
6cd Set

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)