The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: KeithW on February 04, 2013, 05:48:59 AM
VAT is only deducted from orders placed with Amazon directly, in my experience, and not with MP vendors (I am not sure of the rationale here for new items from the MP - of course, no VAT can be levied on used items).

What do the rules say about a merchant from the US selling through a UK-based portal?

Fun (okay, not really) exercise: Link

In the order of appearance on the side: Presto, MDT, Amazons UK, US, US and DE

Not making the cut is JPC, which would have appeared slightly higher than the blue horizontal at 33.9.

Values in US Dollars, conversion rates as of the last hour. Shipping to India, of course. Most of it is valid for buying single CDs; but beyond a point ES and DE start charging per extra kilo and therefore will not be flat. MDT, of course, will not be a straight line when you consider boxes of various guises.
Regards,
Navneeth

KeithW

Quote from: Opus106 on February 04, 2013, 06:44:00 AM
What do the rules say about a merchant from the US selling through a UK-based portal?

From the UK perspective, the issue would be whether the merchant had a VAT registration number.  If they don't then they cannot collect VAT and pass it on to the taxman.  If they do have a VAT registration, then items being shipped outside the EU may have VAT deducted from the list price.  There are some quirks incidentally - digital music is zero-rated (according to Hyperion) and therefore no-one pays VAT.

Do bear in mind that some countries will tax goods on the way in - and there is growing pressure from B&M retailers in some countries such as Australia to reduce the threshold to deter international online shopping.

Quote from: Opus106 on February 04, 2013, 06:44:00 AM
Fun (okay, not really) exercise: Link

In the order of appearance on the side: Presto, MDT, Amazons UK, US, US and DE

Not making the cut is JPC, which would have appeared slightly higher than the blue horizontal at 33.9.

Values in US Dollars, conversion rates as of the last hour. Shipping to India, of course. Most of it is valid for buying single CDs; but beyond a point ES and DE start charging per extra kilo and therefore will not be flat. MDT, of course, will not be a straight line when you consider boxes of various guises.

Thanks - neat tool which I will play with.  I guess another element to be factored in, depending on your arrangements, are bank charges.  Most suppliers these days offer payment options in the customer's local currency, but that tends to be limited to a handful of major ones.

kishnevi

Quote from: KeithW on February 04, 2013, 09:15:42 AM

Thanks - neat tool which I will play with.  I guess another element to be factored in, depending on your arrangements, are bank charges.  Most suppliers these days offer payment options in the customer's local currency, but that tends to be limited to a handful of major ones.

Even then,  banks may impose charges if the purchase is from an overseas vendor.  I've had to pay bank charges on orders from MDT and Presto, even though the order was denominated in dollars.  That's the major reason I got a Capital One card, because they don't have foreign transaction fees. 

The only overseas vendors with which I can place an order in US dollars and not escape bank fees (if not using the Capital One card) are Amazon UK and Amazon France,  if I use their "currency converter" tool.  Amazon Spain, Amazon Italy and Amazon DE don't seem to have it, although Spain is the only one I've used in recent weeks, so it's possible the others now have that tool.

Opus106

Quote from: KeithW on February 04, 2013, 09:15:42 AM
From the UK perspective, the issue would be whether the merchant had a VAT registration number.  If they don't then they cannot collect VAT and pass it on to the taxman.  If they do have a VAT registration, then items being shipped outside the EU may have VAT deducted from the list price.  There are some quirks incidentally - digital music is zero-rated (according to Hyperion) and therefore no-one pays VAT.

Do bear in mind that some countries will tax goods on the way in - and there is growing pressure from B&M retailers in some countries such as Australia to reduce the threshold to deter international online shopping.

Thanks, Keith. As for import taxes, I guess I'm a bit fortunate in the regard, as I haven't been asked to pay any, so far, when I received packages from ordered at Presto, Amazon etc. Maybe I've always managed to keep it under the limit without my knowing it. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

Quote from: Octave on February 03, 2013, 09:36:05 PM
A little redundant chatter about shipping costs. 
Shipping is what's prevented me from using Amazon Spain, at least for the items I've checked; but I'm not sure I agree with a recent comment about Amazon UK's shipping being especially high for delivery to the United States: a recent order of five items, not terribly expensive overall, yielded exactly US$2.20 per item, for box sets.  (A little advance shopping indicated significant savings even after factoring the shipping in.)  I've found that my Presto orders end up averaging a bit less per item (~$1.00-1.30) for medium-sized orders.  Importcds is a USA-domestic option I've used many times with good results and reasonably good deals, but shipping for box sets is almost always $3.50 per item, plus a one-time $1.50 surcharge per order (of any size). Berkshire Record Outlet (also USA-domestic) seems to usually end up being ~$0.60-$1.00/per item for medium-to-large orders, depending on how many individual discs are ordered.

I made two large orders at BRO and the shipping costs were indeed pretty low ...

Octave

Sorry, Erato...I had a U.S.-Imperial moment and forgot you lived in Norway.  Indeed, I see what you mean about Marketplace!
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

jut1972

< £20 at amazon.uk

[asin]B007GP1CC2[/asin]

track listing from presto:
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/EMI/0919342

The blurb says its been done with the latest abbey road remasters.
Bound to be some duplication (another copy of Elgar!) but an excellent price for so many good performances.

Brian

Quote from: jut1972 on February 06, 2013, 10:05:03 AM
< £20 at amazon.uk

[asin]B007GP1CC2[/asin]

Bound to be some duplication (another copy of Elgar!) but an excellent price for so many good performances.

Oh, EMI, because 2007 was waaay too long ago for you to have released this:

[asin]B000V9P4YM[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: jut1972 on February 06, 2013, 10:05:03 AM
< £20 at amazon.uk

[asin]B007GP1CC2[/asin]

Already own it, but the slightly older set which Brian pictured.

jut1972

That was odds on with the number of CDs you buy  ;D  (I'm opening myself up here!)

Apparently the only difference in content is one extra track from the 1962 recital,  J.S.Bach Adagio & Allegro from Sonata in D for Cello & Harpsichord, BWV 1028 (4:35) with Ronald Kinloch Anderson playing harpsichord.

I'm hoping the remasters are noticeably better than previous versions.  There was a version of the Elgar released in 2012 (details here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgar-Concerto-Pictures-Farewell-Signature/dp/B0079J26XO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1360186140&sr=8-8 for SACD which gets some good reviews, reading the blurb it should be the same remastered versions.

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on February 06, 2013, 11:47:11 AM
Oh, EMI, because 2007 was waaay too long ago for you to have released this:

At least it went OOP as the new cover was coming in. It wasn't a case of same recordings existing side-by-side. And the recordings in newer set was recently remastered, I think.
Regards,
Navneeth

Octave

For those in N. America, the best deal I've seen on this, which has been utterly essential Schubert for me:

[asin]B002CRJWVC[/asin]

A bit over US$10 for a 2cd set, including domestic-USA shipping.  This seems to happen with Amazon MP seller i-Deals quite a bit: a temporary dip in prices for DG/Philips/Decca etc discs.  Not a 'steal' exactly, but still roughly half what I paid for it.  Please notice that not everyone loves this recording.  I think Schreier is great (and 'lives up to his name', as it were); I think the audience coughing is great (it's a winter journey, is it not?); I think the slow tempos are great.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Coopmv

Quote from: Octave on February 07, 2013, 10:13:14 PM
For those in N. America, the best deal I've seen on this, which has been utterly essential Schubert for me:

[asin]B002CRJWVC[/asin]

A bit over US$10 for a 2cd set, including domestic-USA shipping.  This seems to happen with Amazon MP seller i-Deals quite a bit: a temporary dip in prices for DG/Philips/Decca etc discs.  Not a 'steal' exactly, but still roughly half what I paid for it.  Please notice that not everyone loves this recording.  I think Schreier is great (and 'lives up to his name', as it were); I think the audience coughing is great (it's a winter journey, is it not?); I think the slow tempos are great.

Thanks for the heads up, as I ordered the last twofer i-Deals had this morning ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 07, 2013, 11:42:21 AM
Down to 46 euros now...  :o

This will have to wait until Presto has sales since its shipping and handling to the US is the least costly ...

DavidW

Probably been mentioned but the Rilling set of Bach Cantatas is down to roughly $1 per disc now on amazon.  If you want period instruments, obviously steer clear, but at that price I'm curious and will be giving it a try.

Will Sheard

There are a few good deals to be had in the EMI clearance at MDT right now.
Whoso would be a man must be a non-conformist - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Coopmv

Quote from: DavidW on February 10, 2013, 04:39:44 AM
Probably been mentioned but the Rilling set of Bach Cantatas is down to roughly $1 per disc now on amazon.  If you want period instruments, obviously steer clear, but at that price I'm curious and will be giving it a try.

MarketPlace seller CMS has even a better deal.  Rilling's Bach Cantatas usually have excellent soloists and that alone may be worth the money ...

kishnevi

Just released this week,  and currently $9.99 on Amazon US.  (That's Amazon itself, not Amazon MP, so if you can find something else for at least $15.01, you can get the free shipping if you're inside the US.)
[asin]B009YKMAKU[/asin]

bigshot

I just received the Van Cliburn box. What a beautiful job of packaging! I can't get enough of these Living Stereo recordings. Everything about them is great.