The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigshot

I use that case. I have four of them for my DVD collection. They are good, but it isn't easy to browse and the sleeves come off the rails sometimes. But it's a cheap solution. I got mine at Monoprice.

By the way, they aren't aluminum. They are silver colored impact resistant plastic over a metal frame. Rugged.

Ken B

Quote from: bigshot on April 10, 2014, 05:52:18 PM
I use that case. I have four of them for my DVD collection. They are good, but it isn't easy to browse and the sleeves come off the rails sometimes. But it's a cheap solution. I got mine at Monoprice.

By the way, they aren't aluminum. They are silver colored impact resistant plastic over a metal frame. Rugged.
Thanks.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on April 10, 2014, 05:35:15 PM
Baklavaboy

Your opinion is sought. [asin]B00A723R4C[/asin]

I thought you were in the market for the 10,000 case, Ken?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

It doesn't look very attractive to me...  Like  you guys, I have tons of CDs. I find that if there is anything that makes a CD other than immediately accessible (I have to lift up a 1/2 oz. cardboard lid to see it) then it doesn't get played.  I used to have a lot of cds in LP sized CD books.  But it became clear I would never go and unzip one and start turning the pages to find something when I have other cds more readily available in my "file card" system where I can just reach out and riffle through them.  My system is pretty hideous, however.  I would LOVE to buy (or have made) a drawer system, like they used to use for the card filing system in libraries...pull out a narrow two foot deep drawer that is all Mozart or whatever and just start flipping around.  Actually, I just realized I never play my older boxes because, although the stuff is easy to get to, it is several steps away from my CD player (whereas others are right next to it)...I need to start a rotation system.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on April 10, 2014, 08:33:33 PM
It doesn't look very attractive to me...  Like  you guys, I have tons of CDs. I find that if there is anything that makes a CD other than immediately accessible (I have to lift up a 1/2 oz. cardboard lid to see it) then it doesn't get played.  I used to have a lot of cds in LP sized CD books.  But it became clear I would never go and unzip one and start turning the pages to find something when I have other cds more readily available in my "file card" system where I can just reach out and riffle through them.  My system is pretty hideous, however.  I would LOVE to buy (or have made) a drawer system, like they used to use for the card filing system in libraries...pull out a narrow two foot deep drawer that is all Mozart or whatever and just start flipping around.  Actually, I just realized I never play my older boxes because, although the stuff is easy to get to, it is several steps away from my CD player (whereas others are right next to it)...I need to start a rotation system.
Yes, good thoughts. I am not sure a case won't just be where CDs go to die.
Most of my discs are upstairs. I need to do some rotating too.

Que

Quote from: Baklavaboy on April 10, 2014, 08:33:33 PM

I guess my old fashioned "library" system, with everything on bookshelves ordered on musical period and composer or instrument is the most space consuming but probably provides optimal accessibility.. :)

Apart from the amount of physical pace it takes, there is another drawback however: it does not work with those mega multi box sets you guys have been getting lately... Or only if you would take them apart and file the individual discs separately.

Q

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Que on April 10, 2014, 09:06:21 PM
only if you would take them apart and file the individual discs separately.

That's what I do. I put all the little boxes in some big boxes and put them in storage. I don't have any jewelboxes at all, either.  I took out the cd and "cover" and put them in little cheap plastic cd sleeve/liners.
It's all good...

Que

Quote from: Baklavaboy on April 10, 2014, 09:11:55 PM
  That's what I do. I put all the little boxes in some big boxes and put them in storage. I don't have any jewelboxes at all, either.  I took out the cd and "cover" and put them in little cheap plastic cd sleeve/liners.

Then I think filing cabinets with narrow drawers where you can order rows of discs (in their original packing or little envelopes) in a library system would be a better option than folders etc.

More easy to browse and to shift stuff. :)

Q

Harry

I have them in plastic sleeves ordered in the states some time ago, it reduced the space I needed with 70%, and they work. Accessibility is excellent.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

hafod

Jochum - Beethoven, Buckner and Bahms cycles in a single box for less than £21 - a steal although for most it will mean at least some duplication and in my case the duplication would be total. The Brahms set is mono but wonderful and right at the top of my many sets.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IK5I0TU/ref=s9_simh_se_p15_d0_i6?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=auto-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=1J7MSYD0XHYKA50T7PXY&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=240112507&pf_rd_i=B00A723R4C

North Star

Quote from: hafod on April 10, 2014, 11:43:55 PM
Jochum - Beethoven, Buckner and Bahms cycles in a single box for less than £21 - a steal although for most it will mean at least some duplication and in my case the duplication would be total. The Brahms set is mono but wonderful and right at the top of my many sets.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IK5I0TU/ref=s9_simh_se_p15_d0_i6?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=auto-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=1J7MSYD0XHYKA50T7PXY&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=240112507&pf_rd_i=B00A723R4C
That is a great bargain indeed - click the picture to get to the right address.
(I think I'll have to pass on this for fiscal reasons)

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

hafod

"That is a great bargain indeed - click the picture to get to the right address".

There is nothing wrong with the link I posted.

The new erato

The link worked for me too, and thanks for the tip!

I ordered, this is a set that will rapidly increase in price I guess.

Moonfish

Quote from: hafod on April 10, 2014, 11:43:55 PM

Thanks for posting that SDCB  Hafod!  :)  That is indeed an excellent bargain for the three cycles.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: hafod on April 11, 2014, 12:14:50 AM
There is nothing wrong with the link I posted.
Hmm, now that I click it, it does work, I wonder how I ended up seeing Amazon.com giftcards the first time ?? ???
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

amw

How does Jochum's BPO Brahms cycle compare to his LPO one? I have the latter (minus 4, which I don't think he recorded with that group anyway) and consider it a reference.

Octave

Quote from: amw on April 11, 2014, 12:40:40 AM
How does Jochum's BPO Brahms cycle compare to his LPO one? I have the latter (minus 4, which I don't think he recorded with that group anyway) and consider it a reference.

I think he did do a LPO #4, which can be had in the gi-normous EMI ICON set or in a 2cd with Tennstedt's SCHICKSALSLIED/REQUIEM (ASIN: B000002SEV) or probably in several other EMI reincarnations.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

hafod

Quote from: amw on April 11, 2014, 12:40:40 AM

That question has been asked here before - didn't get very far though.
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php?topic=4648.0

hafod

Amazon Italy has the EMI 56cd Aldo Ciccolini box for €36.63. The ASIN is B002SV3KOM and there is a contents list in one of the 'reviews' on Am.Uk (link below).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aldo-Ciccolini-The-Recording-1950-1991/dp/B002SV3KOM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397209577&sr=8-1&keywords=B002SV3KOM

Ken B

Quote from: Que on April 10, 2014, 09:20:49 PM
Then I think filing cabinets with narrow drawers where you can order rows of discs (in their original packing or little envelopes) in a library system would be a better option than folders etc.

More easy to browse and to shift stuff. :)

Q
Yes that seems right.
Still just mulling options ...