The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on May 07, 2014, 11:52:31 AM
You blinked.
Seriously, that Markovina we snagged was gone in less than 30 minutes.

True and that was indeed a wonderful set. I am not sure if I would have explored it at the full price (until it one day (hopefully) went to die in a bargain bin). One cannot blink! Have * to * keep * my * eyes * open........

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: The new erato on May 07, 2014, 11:55:22 AM
It was me that blinked; I'm mixing up Kubeik and Jochum here. Sorry all.

Ahh, that explains it.  Phew....    :)
That Jochum set was a great deal as well! Definitely an SDCB!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2014, 01:48:48 PM
Ahh, that explains it.  Phew....    :)
That Jochum set was a great deal as well! Definitely an SDCB!
Yes, it's a great bargain for anyone looking for an excellent Bruckner cycle.

Ken B

This pops up now and again. It's $9 now

[asin]B00IFTU1WK[/asin]

I got it for $6 afew years ago.

hafod

The 172 disc Complete Works of JS Bach from Haenssler, is currently just over £101 on AmUk. The price has been slowly rising from £95 (when I bought it) over the past few days. The ASIN is B003LR4QPE.

Mookalafalas

The 82 disc Karajan box is now down to 89 pounds (I think) when the VAT is removed. $163 shipped to Taiwan (where I live).  Pretty reasonable...
It's all good...

springrite

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 16, 2014, 03:10:44 AM
The 82 disc Karajan box is now down to 89 pounds (I think) when the VAT is removed. $163 shipped to Taiwan (where I live).  Pretty reasonable...

Go for it or your CDCDCD membership may be invoked!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Moonfish

Quote from: springrite on May 16, 2014, 03:18:12 AM
Go for it or your CDCDCD membership may be invoked!

Yes, it made me cry...   

Anna Lappé

Ken B

Heads up
Amazon in Europe has made a mess of things with The Real Chopin. They have mismatched the product and the ASIN on some listings, so what looks like a bargain is actually a high price on a single disc.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 16, 2014, 03:22:26 AM
Yes, it made me cry...   

It's true I've only bought 4 boxes in the last three weeks, if we don't count the L'oiseau Lyre, which hasn't even shipped yet.  I guess I've become too cautious and economical for this thread ::) [hey, wait a minute, this isn't even the CDCDCD thread :o]
   The thing is, I already have the Karajan 262 disc complete DG on my hard drive. If I bought it, it would just be for the sleeve pics...
    I'm listening to him now.  It's a weird sound.   It's powerful, yet muffled---like listening through earphones with a serious head-cold.  Anybody old enough to remember Thomas Dolby? He had a line (in his one known album) "Like an iron fist, in a glove full of vaseline".  Is that the Karajan sound?
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 16, 2014, 06:11:05 AM
It's true I've only bought 4 boxes in the last three weeks, if we don't count the L'oiseau Lyre, which hasn't even shipped yet.  I guess I've become too cautious and economical for this thread ::) [hey, wait a minute, this isn't even the CDCDCD thread :o]
   The thing is, I already have the Karajan 262 disc complete DG on my hard drive. If I bought it, it would just be for the sleeve pics...
    I'm listening to him now.  It's a weird sound.   It's powerful, yet muffled---like listening through earphones with a serious head-cold.  Anybody old enough to remember Thomas Dolby? He had a line (in his one known album) "Like an iron fist, in a glove full of vaseline".  Is that the Karajan sound?
It's the hard drive MP3 sound perhaps.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on May 16, 2014, 06:21:28 AM
It's the hard drive MP3 sound perhaps.

I don't think so...it's lossless, and a good system. Muffled is the wrong word.  The violin section sounds like one GIANT violin, and the horns sound like one GIANT mutant horn.  It sounds good, but everything is weirdly polished smooth.  It's like Jordi Savall's nightmare.
  It's very good, really, but it's kind of like what HIPsters were born to work against.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 16, 2014, 06:30:18 AM
  I don't think so...it's lossless, and a good system. Muffled is the wrong word.  The violin section sounds like one GIANT violin, and the horns sound like one GIANT mutant horn.  It sounds good, but everything is weirdly polished smooth.  It's like Jordi Savall's nightmare.
  It's very good, really, but it's kind of like what HIPsters were born to work against.

Which piece are you listening to?   I think the sound is slightly variable in the 60s pack, but overall is very good for the time. The HvK sound has more to do with certain - errr ---  "liberties" is perhaps the proper word (?) - by which Karajan brings some extra umphh to the composition. I am sure there is an HvK thread here that expands on that aspect greatly. Personally, I really enjoy HvK, but would certainly never restrict myself to his renditions (which I doubt any of us do here in GMG).  Personally I enjoy dipping into the vast number of recordings that HvK put forward and the 60s set is definitely one of the better ( I own both the EMI and the 70s as well). But your own ears clearly is the key - not sure if your MP3s give the set justice or not..? 
Anna Lappé

Will Sheard

Whoso would be a man must be a non-conformist - Ralph Waldo Emerson

bigshot

The difference between sections bowing together and free bowing can make a huge difference to the string texture.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: bigshot on May 16, 2014, 12:33:22 PM
The difference between sections bowing together and free bowing can make a huge difference to the string texture.

That's interesting.  Reminds me of something I read a long time ago about the trouble Bernstein had conducting HvK trained orchestra. Something to the effect that he had to get them to go back to playing in a way that allowed a more heterogeneous sound.

Anyway, it is a very nice sound. I'd like to get the box, but on the way to check the price at the local music shop, I stopped at a camera store and ended up ordering a lens that is almost exactly the same price as the HvK box ??? I'll have to think a little harder now... 
It's all good...

bigshot

I just picked up Karajan 60s used at Amazon for $115. Light scratches on 3 disks and some small tears and shelf wear to the box, but that is a pretty darn good price.

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 16, 2014, 03:20:58 PM
   That's interesting.  Reminds me of something I read a long time ago about the trouble Bernstein had conducting HvK trained orchestra. Something to the effect that he had to get them to go back to playing in a way that allowed a more heterogeneous sound.

Anyway, it is a very nice sound. I'd like to get the box, but on the way to check the price at the local music shop, I stopped at a camera store and ended up ordering a lens that is almost exactly the same price as the HvK box ??? I'll have to think a little harder now...
"Please cancel my lens order."

Glad I could help.

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 16, 2014, 03:20:58 PM

Quote from: Ken B on May 16, 2014, 04:23:03 PM
"Please cancel my lens order."

Glad I could help.
Whatever you do, don't listen to him, Al! Which lens did you order? (let's continue in the appropriate thread..)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Wow, you guys really do put on the pressure :'(

I went ahead and ordered the HvK from England  $163 total. 
  Will still get the lens (A sigma 60mm F2.8 for M4/3 for an amazing price!)
      Will have to spend all weekend proofreading theses to pay for everything...
It's all good...