Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Putting this on this morning.  I believe André ( )recommended it to me a few years back Gurn when you suggested I ask him for recs when it came to Haydn's masses.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on February 21, 2011, 06:53:41 PM
His liner notes are interesting when lined up with your comment.  I quote:

The instrument on which the music is played would have varied considerably, from the clavichord of Haydn's early days, to the latest fortepianos, which he insisted on having in London in order to write his final set of three sonatas.  His contribution to the development of the keyboard was enormous, and I have no qualms about performing the works on a modern grand piano.  There are gains and losses in choosing either authentic or modern ones-it seems to me that a suitable modern piano enables the performer to reveal more completely the historical significance of the music, and its remarkable range of references both back to the Baroque and forward to the Romantics. 

Personally, I am glad folks vary and we have all the above interps.

Now, more Papa with lute:

Cassation in B Flat Hob III: 1
Cassation in C Hob III: 6
Quarteto in D Hob III: 8
Sonata in A 3 in F Hob IV: F2

Jakob Lindberg (Lute)
Ensemble:  Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble

Yes, that is interesting. Specifically what I like is that he doesn't go at all for that big monster sound with lots of sustain and reverb. There's no room in the music to accommodate that, no matter which direction you are looking. :)

I like that Lindberg disk. Those early 4tets for strings sound pretty much like they had a lute in mind at the same time, don't they? :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on February 22, 2011, 02:46:51 AM
Putting this on this morning.  I believe André ( )recommended it to me a few years back Gurn when you suggested I ask him for recs when it came to Haydn's masses.

Well, André would know best. I only have PI versions of those masses (Hickox, Weil & Gardiner) so not sure what a job Marriner does, but I would take your and André's word for it.   0:)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Lethevich

Unlike Marriner's usual innate ability to make his orchestras sound boring, the choir on those EMI recordings more than withstand him. They are deliciously "big" sounding, but with a really dramatic, incisive edge.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on February 22, 2011, 04:34:43 AM
Unlike Marriner's usual innate ability to make his orchestras sound boring, the choir on those EMI recordings more than withstand him. They are deliciously "big" sounding, but with a really dramatic, incisive edge.

Well, as we say in Texas, even a blind hog finds an acorn sometimes. :D

Thanks, Sara. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: noeL on February 22, 2011, 06:01:50 AM
Much more colorful than the saw, "even a stopped clock is right twice a day," but Texas cannot claim sole ownership to the phrase, since I remember Bill Clinton using it.

Well, Hope, Arkansas is less than 50 miles from Texas... and yet an eternity. :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: noeL on February 22, 2011, 06:06:51 AM
Right, if you count Texarkana as part of Texas ....   :)

We frequently stretch a point and count the good part. :D

8)

Bogey

Composed 1796

If I only had the opportunity to keep just one Haydn recording, this would be under the highest consideration.  Absolutely gorgeous on all levels.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Always enjoyable.  The first movement of this trumpet concerto might be Haydn's "greatest hit" to the populace.

and a pairing from the Haydn brothers:

I was surprised after a fresh listen that I grabbed by Michael's a tad bit more, but the few discs I have of him on the shelf, I do enjoy.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on February 23, 2011, 05:02:50 PM

Always enjoyable.  The first movement of this trumpet concerto might be Haydn's "greatest hit" to the populace.

This is a very good disk, it's been my favorite trumpet concerto since I got it. Of course, the oboe concerto is bogus as far as Haydn is concerned, but that doesn't make it anything less than a nice concerto anyway (I've always sort of snickered at people who felt 'taken in' by "the greatest work ever of its kind by anyone'  only to change their tune when they find that someone else wrote it and now it's dreck). :D   I also like the Harpsichord concerto on there, it has Pinnock doing what he does best, which is playing a harpsichord, not driving a band. :)

Quoteand a pairing from the Haydn brothers:

I was surprised after a fresh listen that I grabbed by Michael's a tad bit more, but the few discs I have of him on the shelf, I do enjoy.

Well, if anyone can sell it, it is Zehetmair! I don't have that disk  (currently Standage is on top), but I would enjoy it, I know.  Nice evening listening, Bill!

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment / Kuijken - Hob 01 084 Symphony in Eb 3rd mvmt - Menuetto & Trio

Bogey

This gentleman gives it a nice rip (I have his recording on disc as well):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqLI32bYnSU

Maybe you can fix my post here to give the nice little youtube screen. 8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on February 23, 2011, 05:30:46 PM
This gentleman gives it a nice rip (I have his recording on disc as well):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqLI32bYnSU

Maybe you can fix my post here to give the nice little youtube screen. 8)

Ah yes, Wynton. He kicks butt there. That was one of my first recordings of that piece. :)

No, I've never posted a YouTube. I know it goes in the Flash brackets, but you have to put in a proper screen size and I haven't a clue. So it goes... :'(

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment / Kuijken - Hob 01 086 Symphony in D 1st mvmt - Adagio - Allegro

snyprrr

Did I mention this Smithson disc of Op.54 1-2 (DHM)? Where did thaaat come from? :o

Bogey

Quote from: noeL on February 23, 2011, 06:52:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/eqLI32bYnSU

From the Youtube page, under the video window there is an icon to "Share" the video that will show you the link to copy and paste in between the flash code.  But you have to remove the "/watch?v=" and replace it with "/v/"

Thanks!

FideLeo

Reinhold Friedrich did a better keyed trumpet concerto recording than Bennett and Immer as far as I am concerned.  I have posted it here8)

Below is probably Mark Bennett's recording (1st movement only) with Trevor Pinnock.
http://www.youtube.com/v/1pjAtNhzFZo
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

snyprrr

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 10, 2009, 12:54:20 PM
Yes, the Nomos' are a strong recommend from me. Op 50 is my favorite Haydn 6 pack, and this performance of it is very good. Not quite as enthralling as the Tokyo, but a hell of a lot easier to get! :)

8)

Listening to Nomos Op.50. I have no other, and I'm afraid to try, for I have so gotten used to their pristine, totally White, performances. I've had this now for two years, and I still find it quite elusive.

Lilas Pastia

I know it's absolutely incorrect in terms of authenticity, but I haven't heard an interpretation with more verve and sheer haydnesque instrumental bravura than Timofeï Dokshitzer's (Melodyia lp, available as a download). Lots of russian vibrato of course, but I suspect perfect tuning and 'straight tone' were not part of the trumpet's armoury when Haydn wrote his concerto.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: James on March 13, 2011, 07:42:44 AM
Stockhausen conducting Haydn, with his accomplished son Markus playing the trumpet.

Part 1 >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5kUclz6WpU
Part 2 >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu6hYEwPv1o

Cadenza's by Stockhausen.

Excellent performance, indeed. A bit "serious", but extremely clear for a version on modern instruments. Thanks.

Antoine Marchand

BTW, how much time has André had that avatar?  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on March 13, 2011, 08:29:08 AM
BTW, how much time has André had that avatar?  ;D

Only a couple of weeks. Takes some getting used to... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Cerasi, Carole - Hob 16 42 Sonata in D for Fortepiano 1st mvmt - Andante con espressione