Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

The Takács Quartet have recorded Op.71 and 74, to be released in November by Hyperion :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Herman on July 24, 2011, 06:30:42 PM
whereas by now we know that in many ways Haydn was the greater composer.

In what ways?

jlaurson

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 31, 2011, 11:48:36 AM
WOWZER!!!

Nice catch, Toñio, anyone who is a Haydn symphony fan and fails to act on this is making a huge mistake. This is the bargain of the year!  :)

A sure sign that a box-set re-release of the whole shabang is just around the corner. :-)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: jlaurson on September 04, 2011, 08:57:03 AM
A sure sign that a box-set re-release of the whole shabang is just around the corner. :-)

If that were the case, it would be excellent. But sometimes JPC does these things without further explanation. I recall, for instance, when JPC (two years ago?) offered the complete Beethoven symphonies by Brüggen (Philips) for (?) EUR 14 and the set of Brüggen's Haydn symphonies (Sturm und Drang, Paris, London), already then and currently unavailable. Anyway, even if a box-set were released almost securely the booklets (great booklets, indeed) will be omitted.   

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: toñito on August 31, 2011, 11:34:25 AM
Right now JPC offers vols. 2-7 of the Haydn symphonies performed by the AAM/Hogwood at EUR 9.99 every 3-CD set... an incredible bargain, indeed.

Thanks, dude. Just ordered vol 2 & 3

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 04, 2011, 09:40:03 AM

Plotting the recovery from Pettersson already, Sarge? ; )

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 04, 2011, 09:40:03 AM

You're welcome, Sarge. It's a big bargain.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: rubio on August 30, 2011, 11:54:45 AM
Anybody know if this set include all of Szells Haydn recordings on Sony? Some of the sets in this new series have been uncomplete.

Quote from: Brian on August 30, 2011, 11:57:45 AM

88 from 1954 (mono)
92-98 from the 1960s (mostly 67-69)
97 from 1957 (stereo)
99 from 1957 (stereo)
104 from 1954 (mono)

So there are two mono recordings and two different stereo performances of No 97. I don't know if that's his complete Haydn, though.

According to the Cleveland Orchestra discography I have, that's all Szell's Haydn except for an excerpt from The Creation. I'm pissed off. I bought several previous Columbia/Sony boxes (LP and CD) but this is the first time all Szell's Haydn symphony recordings have been packaged together. I think this may be the first time they've offered 99 since the original Epic LP.

So, more duplication or should I just say fuck it?  >:(

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 04, 2011, 09:43:14 AM
Plotting the recovery from Pettersson already, Sarge? ; )

Yeah, I'll need it. 11 finished before I began reading this thread. I felt I needed to get away from the depressing Swede if only for a few hours. Haydn's the perfect antidote  ;D

Sarge

Bogey

An all Haydn morning:

and an ol' Gurn rec, which has become kind of pricey these days:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on September 17, 2011, 05:59:09 AM
An all Haydn morning:

and an ol' Gurn rec, which has become kind of pricey these days:

What a great morning you must be having, Bill!   :D  Lots of my favorites there, plus one that I have never seen or heard of before! The English String Quartet? Tell me about them, please. You like? Gut strings? In any case, I predict your day will be totally uplifted due to this ideal beginning. :D

For me right now, it is the music in my sig line, the complete keyboard trios:

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 17, 2011, 07:27:23 AM
What a great morning you must be having, Bill!   :D  Lots of my favorites there, plus one that I have never seen or heard of before! The English String Quartet? Tell me about them, please. You like? Gut strings? In any case, I predict your day will be totally uplifted due to this ideal beginning. :D

For me right now, it is the music in my sig line, the complete keyboard trios:

8)

It is decent.  It lacks engineering at the sound end and the other four discs squash it in this category....the depth does not seem to be there.  The lows are present, but the highs dominate.  Also some melding issues.  However, still nice to have on the shelf for infrequent visits. :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on September 17, 2011, 09:24:51 AM
It is decent.  It lacks engineering at the sound end and the other four discs squash it in this category....the depth does not seem to be there.  The lows are present, but the highs dominate.  Also some melding issues.  However, still nice to have on the shelf for infrequent visits. :)

Thanks for that feedback, Bill. I guess that's why it hadn't got famous enough to catch my eye. Pity really, Meridian often put out some really nice disks so it caught my eye right off in your post.

If you liked that early string quartet  (Op 0, which eventually got to be Op 1#5 once all that stuff got straightened out), here is a very nice disk that also uses the probable actual scoring of a double bass instead of a cello. And even if it isn't (who knows at this point?), the disk itself is excellent.

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

The eponymous Hausmeister is the single best represented composer in my collection, which now includes 191 discs featuring his famous John Hancock.

WHERE WILL IT END?

And how will I pay for it?
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on September 23, 2011, 07:54:00 AM
The eponymous Hausmeister is the single best represented composer in my collection, which now includes 191 discs featuring his famous John Hancock.

WHERE WILL IT END?

And how will I pay for it?

Cool! I didn't realize quite how good your taste really is! Well, there will be no shortage of music on that front. I have over a thousand disks now, and even if you count a box set as 1 (the way some people do) and shorten up my 150 disk Big Box to 1, I still am well supplied, to the point of not having to listen to anyone else unless I want to. Haydn has written so much! :) 

Is there a genre where you feel you might be lacking?

8)

Leon

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 23, 2011, 08:00:21 AM
Cool! I didn't realize quite how good your taste really is! Well, there will be no shortage of music on that front. I have over a thousand disks now, and even if you count a box set as 1 (the way some people do) and shorten up my 150 disk Big Box to 1, I still am well supplied, to the point of not having to listen to anyone else unless I want to. Haydn has written so much! :) 

8)

Seems I have a ways to go, sitting on 220 Haydn items, I should take seriously the prospect of tripling or quadrupling my holdings in order to hold my own among this group.

Funny kind of pissing contest which probably would only occur on GMG.

:)

I guess I need to look at the Masses and Operas to begin to fill obvious gaps ....

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on September 23, 2011, 08:06:08 AM
Seems I have a ways to go, sitting on 220 Haydn items, I should take seriously the prospect of tripling or quadrupling my holdings in order to hold my own among this group.

Funny kind of pissing contest which probably would only occur on GMG.

:)

I guess I need to look at the Masses and Operas to begin to fill obvious gaps ....

Oh, no, not that! A cooperative venture, more like. I want everyone to enjoy this music as much as I do. :)

Operas are tough, depending on what you insist on. There is a box (or 2 or singles) by Dorati that is still unequaled. It is 20 disks for 10 operas, by the top singers of the time (late 70's early 80's, IIRC). Despite that I prefer PI, I am very pleased with these boxes anyway (I have the version in 2 orange boxes of 10 disks each). There are some singles out there that might suit if you just want to get a couple to see what they are like, I would rec from the start Orlando Paladino by Harnoncourt/Concentus Musicus Wien et al. I really like that one, think you might too.

Masses are a harder choice. I have Gardiner's "6 Great Masses", which are the last 6 after he returned from London. Also have Hickox' "Complete Masses" and Bruno Weil's "Complete Masses", Weil goes for smaller ensemble, which is more appropriate since Haydn's chapel was tiny. Hickox is nice though, I like them both, so it depends on what you feel more appropriate.

Choices from those would certainly keep your listening hours filled for quite some time. Of course, everyone has different preferences, but I don't know any non-PI choices to offer you... :)

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 23, 2011, 08:27:24 AM
Oh, no, not that! A cooperative venture, more like. I want everyone to enjoy this music as much as I do. :)

Masses are a harder choice. I have Gardiner's "6 Great Masses", which are the last 6 after he returned from London. Also have Hickox' "Complete Masses" and Bruno Weil's "Complete Masses", Weil goes for smaller ensemble, which is more appropriate since Haydn's chapel was tiny. Hickox is nice though, I like them both, so it depends on what you feel more appropriate.

I have this one;  I'm suprised you don't have it, Gurn, as I think you would like it as much as the others (although I don't have the others so I can't really compare them)
[asin]B002IVRBBU[/asin]
Can't speak to the operas, unfortunately, since I have no recordings of those.

Leon

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 23, 2011, 08:27:24 AM

Operas are tough, depending on what you insist on. There is a box (or 2 or singles) by Dorati that is still unequaled. It is 20 disks for 10 operas, by the top singers of the time (late 70's early 80's, IIRC). Despite that I prefer PI, I am very pleased with these boxes anyway (I have the version in 2 orange boxes of 10 disks each). There are some singles out there that might suit if you just want to get a couple to see what they are like, I would rec from the start Orlando Paladino by Harnoncourt/Concentus Musicus Wien et al. I really like that one, think you might too.

Choices from those would certainly keep your listening hours filled for quite some time. Of course, everyone has different preferences, but I don't know any non-PI choices to offer you... :)

8)

Yeh, I've seen that Solti box of operas but have held off.  I have the Orlando Paladino and Armida with Harnoncourt and was hoping for more from him before I invested in a bunch from Solti.  In the back of my mind I'm hoping Rene Jacobs does for Haydn what  he's done for Mozart, but that is no doubt a long shot, since Mozart's operas are much more often performed and arguably masterpieces while Haydn's may fall short of that description.

Regarding the Masses, the Weil sounds like something right in my wheelhouse.  I had briefly thought about the Trinity Choir set on Naxos, but would probably prefer Weil since I love his work on the symphonies.

Thanks for the ideas.

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 23, 2011, 08:00:21 AM
8)

Baryton Trios and Operas. I've got pretty good coverage outside those. Pretty wide coverage anyway, if not very deep.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217