Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 25, 2012, 03:23:18 AM
I would think their approach works less well in op.50.

My response was "LOOK OUT FOR THE CLIFF!". Slightly less distinctive than whacking cats with a broom, but I think the sentiment is much the same.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Leon

Quote from: jlaurson on April 25, 2012, 04:32:29 AM
Ah, too late, I see. Not that they're bad at all. But on the same label as the Minetti Quartet, released shortly after their Haydn, I had hoped for more, yet.

That's damning them with faint praise, IMO - and don't know what you mean by 'on the same label as the Minetti Quartet". 

Here's what a reviewer in Fanfare had to say

QuoteFour casually dressed youngsters, a girl and three boys, adorn the cover. Scowling into the camera, they look like a teen-aged gang. They are Finns, and I quail at the challenge of spelling their names: from first violin to cello, Antti Tikkanen, Minna Pensola, Atte Kilpeläinen, and Tomas Djupsjöbacka. Formed in 2001, the quartet has won the usual honors and awards (usual, that is, for quartets which make recordings on major labels) and has played in the major chamber halls internationally—only the Concertgebouw is absent from its résumé. This is META4's debut recording, and it's a beauty. It employs ancient instruments, including a Stradivarius violin, and is well attuned to period practices.  (emphasis added)
Don't know how much weight this reviewer can be given seeing as he seems to consider the Buchberger Quartet a reference recording, and they were pretty well dispised on this board in the Haydn Op. 50 thread.

Nevertheless, I found the META4 recording more than just passing good, and am glad there is a period performance of this neglected opus number and agree with his conclusion: "this is a fine CD, an admirable introduction to the young ensemble. I look forward to hearing more from META4."

Karl Henning

Scowling Finns. Was there ever a time when that was cute?  Mid-14th century, perhaps?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

BTW, if the Strad is "an ancient instrument," Paganini was a PI performer. Just saying.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

chasmaniac

Watched the Grabsky flick on DVD last night with great pleasure. Not enough of anything in it of course. To quite satisfy the Haydnista it would have to be 9 hours long! The "movement" videos are a very nice bonus. My attachment to Brautigam is cemented. But what was Emmanuel Ax talking about?
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Leon

Quote from: karlhenning on April 25, 2012, 07:09:42 AM
BTW, if the Strad is "an ancient instrument," Paganini was a PI performer. Just saying.

Right.  I looked at their website and while they play "old" instruments there is no indication that they use gut strings or period bows. 

QuoteThe quartet members play distinguished instruments, including an Antonio & Hieronymus Amati violin from 1618 and a cello made by Lorenzo Storioni in Cremona in 1780. They also have a Stradivarius violin from 1702, which is on loan from the Pohjola Bank Art Foundation.

The quartet released a Haydn recording on Hänssler Classics in May 2009, for which it was awarded the distinguished Echo Klassic Award 2010. A new record will be released in the spring 2012.

Nevertheless, the recording is rather nice sounding to my ears.  But, get your salt shakers at the ready since I am not a professional reviewer.

:)

Karl Henning

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 25, 2012, 07:24:08 AM
Watched the Grabsky flick on DVD last night with great pleasure. Not enough of anything in it of course. To quite satisfy the Haydnista it would have to be 9 hours long! The "movement" videos are a very nice bonus. My attachment to Brautigam is cemented. But what was Emmanuel Ax talking about?

That Manny! He's such a card! : )

He's a huge name, of course . . . and it was a coup for Grabsky to get him for the Beethoven film (I've not seen the Mozart film which came first of all . . . maybe Manny was there at the start!).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on April 25, 2012, 04:32:29 AM
Ah, too late, I see. Not that they're bad at all. But on the same label as the Minetti Quartet, released shortly after their Haydn, I had hoped for more, yet.

Well, the Minetti sets the bar pretty high. "Not bad at all" is probably good enough for me  ;)  Even if they prove disappointing (I don't expect they will) it won't be a financial disaster. Got it cheap.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on April 25, 2012, 07:08:34 AM
Scowling Finns. Was there ever a time when that was cute?

I don't know, Karl, but that picture is what sold me  ;D

Sarge

chasmaniac

Quote from: karlhenning on April 25, 2012, 07:29:07 AM
That Manny! He's such a card! : )

He's a huge name, of course . . . and it was a coup for Grabsky to get him for the Beethoven film (I've not seen the Mozart film which came first of all . . . maybe Manny was there at the start!).

I wanted to like him! He did a fantastic series on CBC radio years ago exploring various piano concerti, and of course he's a contemporary guy as well - John Adams and all that. So I wanted his perspective on Haydn. So naturally he went on and on about Mozart and Beethoven! Ah well.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Leon

I found the Minetti Quartet recording that was mentioned:

Haydn: String Quartets No. 51, 59, "The Rider" And 64

[asin]B001TD1XPI[/asin]

Listening right now.  Out of the gate they are not bringing as much energy to the music as META4, which when you hear the recording, and if you are like me, you will be struck immediately by a sense of focus and excitement from the very first note.  I'll be interested in what Sarge thinks after he's heard them.

The Minetti is not shabby by any stretch, actually, this recording (so far) sounds wonderful.  They take a more lyrical approach with solo playing that is some of the tenderest I've heard - but since there was a comparison made, for me, META4 is the more interesting performance of Haydn.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Arnold on April 25, 2012, 08:09:13 AM
I found the Minetti Quartet recording that was mentioned:

Haydn: String Quartets No. 51, 59, "The Rider" And 64

[asin]B001TD1XPI[/asin]

Listening right now.  Out of the gate they are not bringing as much energy to the music as META4, which when you hear the recording, and if you are like me, you will be struck immediately by a sense of focus and excitement from the very first note.  I'll be interested in what Sarge thinks after he's heard them.

The Minetti is not shabby by any stretch, actually, this recording (so far) sounds wonderful.  They take a more lyrical approach with solo playing that is some of the tenderest I've heard - but since there was a comparison made, for me, META4 is the more interesting performance of Haydn.

You failed to mention the most important thing about the Minetti, and of singular importance to me....the two violin babes  ;D

Sarge

Karl Henning

Gotta say it:

Listening to the Hob.IV/11. I know it's "only" a divertimento, but even in this modest theatre, "Papa" stands out!

Graces will out, and there's an end on 't!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Leon

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 25, 2012, 09:38:07 AM
You failed to mention the most important thing about the Minetti, and of singular importance to me....the two violin babes  ;D

Sarge

Hah!

;)

Que

Quote from: orfeo on April 25, 2012, 01:30:19 AM
Tell that to all the people who listened to the first movement of Op.50/1.  There was a remarkably universal lack of enjoyment.

I would post the link if I'd figured out how to do that in this forum yet.

[ url=http://www.good-music-guide.com/..... ]name of thread[/url] 

[ url][/url] ->

Q

Daverz

Gurn Blanston

I have returned to continue revising and updating the Chronology. Just finished with 1759 for those interested. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:

NDR Chor - FestspielOrchester Göttingen \ McGegan - Hob 24a_08 Madrigal in d for 4 Solo Voices & Chorus  'The Storm'
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mr. Stevens Senior

OK, I'll bite -- which Haydn quartets/artists would you recommend?

Sammy

Quote from: Mr. Stevens Senior on April 25, 2012, 04:54:17 PM
OK, I'll bite -- which Haydn quartets/artists would you recommend?

The Tatrai Quartet recordings on Hungaroton should satisfy you - modern instruments and top-rate traditional performances.

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 25, 2012, 09:38:07 AM

Sarge

In the interest of gender equality,  the male Minettis seem rather hunky looking (not that I'm inclined that way, so perhaps my judgment is off).

And since the price is even more attractive than the performers,  I'm ordering it in another tab of my browser as I post this.