Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Beats Elizabeth, New Jersey . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Fair disclosure:  I am not from Elizabeth, nor do I actually know anyone who is.

Coincidence? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on October 17, 2014, 04:50:18 AM
Fair disclosure:  I am not from Elizabeth, nor do I actually know anyone who is.

Coincidence? . . .

Sez you...  >:D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Today, I am grateful simply that I am not a hospital administrator in The Lone Star State . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

Gurn Blanston

Some of Haydn's finest keyboard works came from 1779, I've been reading and writing and listening, you're invited to see what I found. :)

The first Siri (Kolo, that is)

Hope you enjoy,
8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

I just bought this set, it should be here early next week.

[asin]B00H927FFK[/asin]

It looks quite interesting, it is an English version (I currently have Hogwood and Macreesh in English) using the 1803 text revision which is supposed to be far more fluent than the 1798 original. I have read about it, now a chance to hear it. :)

8)

Old Listener

I'm a long time fan of Nicholas McGegan and the Philharmonia Baroque orchestra.  I just got this CD of Haydn symphonies 88,101 and 104 by them.

Amazon link: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YF8Y9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excellent recordings and performances that I'll enjoy many times in coming years.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Old Listener on October 23, 2014, 07:02:18 AM
I'm a long time fan of Nicholas McGegan and the Philharmonia Baroque orchestra.  I just got this CD of Haydn symphonies 88,101 and 104 by them.

Amazon link: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YF8Y9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excellent recordings and performances that I'll enjoy many times in coming years.

Yes, it IS a fine disk. I enjoy their realization of #88 in particular. I'm surprised to not see it mentioned more often. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Maybe we hit on the ideal opera for the great majority: short and sweet, excellent music and an interesting cast of just 4 people! What's not to like? Check out my latest essay and find out about the Desert Island, where Haydn introduces Metastasio to Gluck (all over again). :)

If you are not a tiger...

Thanks!
8)

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on October 26, 2014, 10:24:43 AM
is this any good?

I think Dorati did a great job on the 8 operas he did. He has some fine singers in all of the productions. In some of them, his is still the only recorded version, and it is no hardship to have to rely on that!  On the downside, there are no liner notes. When originally released in single operas, they had excellent notes, but Philips trashed them all. I know this because these are the versions I have, these two boxes. Eventually they consolidated them into one big box, but still no notes... :-\

8)

Edit: I don't mean to say no liner notes at all, but rather there is a track listing and then a short synopsis of the plot of each one. As I understand, even this is an improvement over what they provided in the one big box!

TheGSMoeller

I REALLY like this. Already a fan of Il Giardino armonico and their sound, especially their dynamite Vivaldi recordings. But I was blown away by the dynamic flexibility of these Haydn performances, between the energy and beauty, and how every phrase is meticulously presented.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 26, 2014, 03:28:29 PM
I REALLY like this. Already a fan of Il Giardino armonico and their sound, especially their dynamite Vivaldi recordings. But I was blown away by the dynamic flexibility of these Haydn performances, between the energy and beauty, and how every phrase is meticulously presented.

Greg, did you get the CD or download? I thought the CD was still just on pre-order. :-\  Sounds great though, I have a lot of their Vivaldi, that's why I was so eagerly anticipating this Haydn cycle!  :)'

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 26, 2014, 03:48:28 PM
Greg, did you get the CD or download? I thought the CD was still just on pre-order. :-\  Sounds great though, I have a lot of their Vivaldi, that's why I was so eagerly anticipating this Haydn cycle!  :)'

8)

Available on Spotify, but will preorder the disc for sure.  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 26, 2014, 04:14:32 PM
Available on Spotify, but will preorder the disc for sure.  8)

Ah, gotcha. I already have. Supposed to come out Tuesday. Odd it has the Gluck on there after I just finished writing a little bit about him today. :)

8)

Mookalafalas

I have this amazing disc in my Vivarte "big box".  The back says the composer is Haydn. Am I right in assuming this is just an egregious misprint?

[asin]B000002APL[/asin]
It's all good...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 26, 2014, 07:04:13 PM
I have this amazing disc in my Vivarte "big box".  The back says the composer is Haydn. Am I right in assuming this is just an egregious misprint?

[asin]B000002APL[/asin]

Yes, you are correct. Looking down the listing, I would say that none of the individual contents, small sacred pieces, are Haydn either. Something which often happens, but not in this case. What an odd mistake!  :)

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 26, 2014, 12:47:13 PM
I think Dorati did a great job on the 8 operas he did. He has some fine singers in all of the productions. In some of them, his is still the only recorded version, and it is no hardship to have to rely on that!  On the downside, there are no liner notes. When originally released in single operas, they had excellent notes, but Philips trashed them all. I know this because these are the versions I have, these two boxes. Eventually they consolidated them into one big box, but still no notes... :-\

8)

Edit: I don't mean to say no liner notes at all, but rather there is a track listing and then a short synopsis of the plot of each one. As I understand, even this is an improvement over what they provided in the one big box!

The box has track listings and brief synopses in English, French, and German.
I suppose one of these years I will actually listen to it.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 26, 2014, 07:07:56 PM
Yes, you are correct. Looking down the listing, I would say that none of the individual contents, small sacred pieces, are Haydn either. Something which often happens, but not in this case. What an odd mistake!  :)

8)

I came very close to raving about the incredible genius of Haydn in the "now listening thread", who could make some of the most beautiful polyphonic choral music I had ever heard (on top of everything else) before growing suspicious.  I'm glad I showed a little restraint :-[
It's all good...