Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Gordo on April 09, 2015, 04:52:01 AM
as a Haydinisto,

Shouldn't it be rather Haydnista?  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wakefield

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2015, 04:54:07 AM
Shouldn't it be rather Haydnista?  :)

I believe so, but this name was chosen by Gurn long time ago, so it's a sort of tradition...  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Florestan

Quote from: Gordo on April 09, 2015, 04:58:13 AM
I believe so, but this name was chosen by Gurn long time ago, so it's a sort of tradition...  :)

Let's stick to the tradition, then.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

I can go either way with it; masculine/feminine word endings in Spanish are only considered consistent by native speakers. For example, even though the police were nearly always men in the days when the word was being coined, the police generically are called 'El Policia', which is a feminine ending. Haydnisto probably falls in the same category, despite it being a sad case of Espanish-izing an already existent made-up word, which is 'Haydnist', which dates back a long time. It has a softer and more pleasant sound with a Spanish ending.   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 09, 2015, 05:06:09 AM
I can go either way with it; masculine/feminine word endings in Spanish are only considered consistent by native speakers. For example, even though the police were nearly always men in the days when the word was being coined, the police generically are called 'El Policia', which is a feminine ending. Haydnisto probably falls in the same category, despite it being a sad case of Espanish-izing an already existent made-up word, which is 'Haydnist', which dates back a long time. It has a softer and more pleasant sound with a Spanish ending.   :)

8)

Not to seem to gainsay any of your post, dude . . . just further musing.  I wonder if this usage (cf. Sandinista) mirrors the "significant exception" category including such masculine Spanish nouns as pianista and artista.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Love this thread . . . we can chat about [nearly] anything  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on April 09, 2015, 05:12:33 AM
Not to seem to gainsay any of your post, dude . . . just further musing.  I wonder if this usage (cf. Sandinista) mirrors the "significant exception" category including such masculine Spanish nouns as pianista and artista.

AFAIK there is no -isto suffix in Spanish. All of them are -ista, be they masculine or feminine. Gordo can surely illuminate the question.

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on April 09, 2015, 05:12:51 AM
Love this thread . . . we can chat about [nearly] anything  8)

That's another tradition, this time going back to Eszterhazy Miklos. He surely chatted a lot during Taffelsmusik:D

Wakefield

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2015, 05:15:30 AM
AFAIK there is no -isto suffix in Spanish. All of them are -ista, be they masculine or feminine. Gordo can surely illuminate the question.

You're right, it's very uncommon. But it's possible to find some exception: "modisto", for instance, it's the masculine form for "dressmaker", being "modista" the feminine.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gordo on April 09, 2015, 05:26:49 AM
You're right, it's very uncommon. But it's possible to find some exception: "modisto", for instance, it's the masculine form for "dressmaker", being "modista" the feminine.

So that is la modista as compared to el artista, sì?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

La lista de un artista: de manana ir a la modista, a las dos de las tardes desayunar con un violinista, a las once de las noches charlar con una pianista, y despues hasta la vista;D

Wakefield

Quote from: karlhenning on April 09, 2015, 05:28:48 AM
So that is la modista as compared to el artista, sì?

Exactly.

It would be:

El/la artista; not "el artisto."

Then, a bit exceptionally, "el modisto" and "la modista."

-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2015, 05:34:57 AM
La lista de un artista: de manñana ir a la modista, a las dos de las tardes desayunar con un violinista, a las once de las noches charlar con una pianista, y despueés hasta la vista;D

Totally right, it would never be: "violinisto" o "pianisto"; just "modisto" o "modista", a sort of exception.  :) 
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

I found a reference to this disk very recently and thought that maybe other Haydnistos could be interested:

[asin]B00004SVIA[/asin]

Mrs. Huggett is a good hook.  :)
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Still have that on my wish list, Gordo. I downloaded it years ago, always planning on getting it one day, now it is more challenging!  :)

Quote from: Gordo on April 12, 2015, 08:55:58 AM
I found a reference to this disk very recently and thought that maybe other Haydnistos could be interested:

[asin]B00004SVIA[/asin]

Mrs. Huggett is a good hook.  :)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

I thought I might get off-track just a bit this week, and finally begin to post the resource material I have been promising for a while. This week I put up a summary of all the music composed in the 1750's. It would have been foolhardy to try to assign a year to most of these, but you can refer to some of the essays for works which are virtually certain of the dating. Hope this is helpful to those interested.

The Music of the 1750's

Thanks!
8)

Gurn Blanston

OK, well it's back to Paris this week, enjoying their last golden years before the fall. If anything, this year's symphonies are even grander than last year's!

Someone put that damned bear back in its cage!

Thanks for checking it out!
8)

Jo498

Thanks for your list of 1750s music!

I wonder whether you or someone else can identify the first piece on the following disc. In the booklet there is no Hob # given (and it might be a piece of dubious authorship). The 2nd and 3rd pieces on the CD are revealed in the booklet to be Hob II:B4 and Hob II:A4. AFAIS it is NOT identical to Hob II:20 as the movements have different timings. In any case it will probably be named as a divertimento (instead cassatio, these were almost synonymous) in Hoboken or elsewhere. It's for oboe(s) horns and some strings, so no "Feld-parthie" for winds only. (I wonder if it might be a hybrid or arrangement but the booklet does not say so.) I do not know ho many Hob II:Fx there are and how I could compare incipits or soundbits. The piece does not seem to be in Huss' BIS/Koch box but I did not check all the pieces (the also sometimes do sound rather similar to each other, only the ones in F major with 5 movements).

[asin]B000001WTW[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on April 20, 2015, 01:05:22 AM
Thanks for your list of 1750s music!

I wonder whether you or someone else can identify the first piece on the following disc. In the booklet there is no Hob # given (and it might be a piece of dubious authorship). The 2nd and 3rd pieces on the CD are revealed in the booklet to be Hob II:B4 and Hob II:A4. AFAIS it is NOT identical to Hob II:20 as the movements have different timings. In any case it will probably be named as a divertimento (instead cassatio, these were almost synonymous) in Hoboken or elsewhere. It's for oboe(s) horns and some strings, so no "Feld-parthie" for winds only. (I wonder if it might be a hybrid or arrangement but the booklet does not say so.) I do not know ho many Hob II:Fx there are and how I could compare incipits or soundbits. The piece does not seem to be in Huss' BIS/Koch box but I did not check all the pieces (the also sometimes do sound rather similar to each other, only the ones in F major with 5 movements).

[asin]B000001WTW[/asin]

You're welcome. New decades will be posted as I get them collated, I like that format.

There is another page to click on the right side of the page, it is called 'Sunrise Over Hoboken' and it explains how to read one of those damned numbers.

In this case, since the letter is on the right side of the full stop, it indicates the key, as you have already figured out. 'B flat 4' and 'A4' are works which have only been attributed to Haydn, and very likely are not by him. There are only 2 authenticated Haydn works in the dozens which have that sort of numbering in Hoboken II.  They are D22 and G1. And those are the only ones you will find in Huss' set, since he only put authenticated ones in there. If you want to see a bunch of those, look in that Warner box of 'Haydn Wind Divertimentos' by Dieter Klöcker, he has a pisspot full of them, all of them very likely composed by someone else!

Without my own copy of Hoboken and a working knowledge of German, I can't tell how many works are included in each category like that. The fact of that authentic one being D22 gives some idea, although, of course, D major is the #1 key for wind divertimentos in the 18th century.

Hope that helps a little.  :)

8)