Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

After checking Amazon last night, and consulting George via PM, about a certain Miles Davis recording,  it hit me this morning that maybe CD Trader had something (the local used CD store).   So tonight I stopped there on the way home from work, and yes,  they did have something--not the Japanese import George likes, but for $9.99 and not having to wait for it to get into my greedy little hands,  I was not complaining.
[asin]B00000J7SS[/asin]
To go with it, some Haydn, some Mozart and this by Wynton Marsalis
[asin]B000WZACZQ[/asin]

Bogey

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 22, 2014, 05:43:09 PM

To go with it, some Haydn, some Mozart and this by Wynton Marsalis
[asin]B000WZACZQ[/asin]

Reminds me that I need to throw House of Tribes back on my wish-list, Jeffrey.  Thanks!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

HIPster

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 22, 2014, 05:43:09 PM
After checking Amazon last night, and consulting George via PM, about a certain Miles Davis recording,  it hit me this morning that maybe CD Trader had something (the local used CD store).   So tonight I stopped there on the way home from work, and yes,  they did have something--not the Japanese import George likes, but for $9.99 and not having to wait for it to get into my greedy little hands,  I was not complaining.
[asin]B00000J7SS[/asin]

Congrats on Bitches Brew Jeffrey!

I'd be curious to know which Japanese pressing George recommends - if you could post a link, I'd appreciate it.

Enjoy the tunes.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

kishnevi

Quote from: HIPster on January 22, 2014, 07:04:29 PM
Congrats on Bitches Brew Jeffrey!

I'd be curious to know which Japanese pressing George recommends - if you could post a link, I'd appreciate it.

Enjoy the tunes.

George posted the Amazon link last night
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,27.msg772437.html#msg772437

QuoteUsed copies are pretty cheap: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000024LII/ref=cfb_at_prodpg

All the AmazonMP vendors seem to be located in Japan, which makes sense since it was released by Sony Japan.

HIPster

Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Bogey

Also a two cd Japanese pressing out there?  George?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

toledobass

Got some vinyl yesterday.  Record store dude gave me the side eye and said 'curious choices,' when he saw the Madonna album.   

Come on man,  it's got Borderline on it!!!

[asin]B006WZI8RE[/asin] [asin]B0012GN06W[/asin]

[asin]B005E8L0H0[/asin] [asin]B0012GN1HK[/asin]

[asin]B007BWUIHA[/asin]

George

Quote from: toledobass on January 24, 2014, 03:36:01 AM
Got some vinyl yesterday.  Record store dude gave me the side eye and said 'curious choices,' when he saw the Madonna album.   

Sounds like he needs a holiday.

;)

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

toledobass

Quote from: George on January 24, 2014, 03:52:21 AM

;)

I Know It!  Think of Me, Burning Up, he count count his Lucky Star, I Borderline Expressed Myself!   ;)

George

Quote from: toledobass on January 24, 2014, 06:47:15 AM
I Know It!  Think of Me, Burning Up, he count count his Lucky Star, I Borderline Expressed Myself!   ;)

;D

kishnevi

Quote from: George on January 24, 2014, 03:52:21 AM

;)

There's one readily at hand.

Thread duty
Went back to the used CD store and picked up
Miles Davis: doo-bop (aka the CD whose cover image will give children nightmares)
Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (that's the CD title as well the two main artists)
Mahuvishnu Orchestra: Birds of Fire
Pat Metheny Group: The Way Up

The last two will be my introductions to Mahuvishnu and Metheny:  Never heard a note from either one of them before (there is, btw, one Miles song on the Mahuvishnu CD).

And also one that might fall in the limbo between jazz and classic:  Jacques Loussier Trio on a CD called Take Bach--Bach concertos for multiple keyboards (one for three claviers, two for two claviers),  with the Pekinel sisters.

Mirror Image

Just bought some Bjork albums:

Any Bjork fans here?

Bogey

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 24, 2014, 10:49:58 AM

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (that's the CD title as well the two main artists)

I am going to spin that pronto!

toledobass

I had a lot more money back when I was just lurking here once in a while...... 

[asin]B008YCMM2A[/asin]

A

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I'm a big fan of The Flower Kings and Steve Hackett, so these two releases will satisfy my prog rock craving. 8)

Peter

Just received these two records today.

Skinner: Tonight, Sherberts, oops, heh heh, Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.
Homer: Oh good, unfinished. This shouldn't take long.
Marge: Mmmmm.

kishnevi

Picked up the following at Barnes and Noble this afternoon
Cannonball Adderley and others: Something Else
Tito Puente and his orchestra:  Dance Mania (h/t Bogey)
Weather Report: Heavy Weather (h/t to someone, but I don't remember who at the moment)
Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto (with Astrud Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim):  Getz/Gilberto

If the last doesn't strike an instant chord--it was the album on which appeared "The Girl from Ipanema".  The copy I have is a Verve re-issue, with liner notes by a man named Doug Ramsey that include a classic case of old fuddy duddy complaining about pop music's takeover by non musicians and consequent loss of musical value in popular music--except he dates it to the 1950s.  It's too long to quote here:  I'll have to copy it and post it in a suitable thread.  Apparently Mr. Ramsey hated rock'n'roll, especially Elvis Presley.  (He rated Doris Day singing "Que sera sera" ahead of "Heartbreak Hotel".)

Bogey

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 31, 2014, 05:13:24 PM

Cannonball Adderley and others: Something Else

Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto (with Astrud Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim):  Getz/Gilberto

Love 'em both!

George