Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on June 27, 2014, 09:51:37 PM
Thread duty - these 2 box-sets:

Conor, great haul! Now that I see you bought the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Deluxe Edition, I've now become tempted. CDCDCD definitely kicking in here. It's just such a great album and I'd love to hear all that bonus material. My clicking finger is getting rather itchy now. ;) As for that The Aeroplane Flies High is an excellent set. I believe my dad bought this set upon it's release. Enjoy!

HIPster

Picked up the new Ghost of a Sabre Tooth Tiger:
[asin]B00IUOH0XI[/asin]

Great reviews for this one - have high hopes for it!  :)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 28, 2014, 07:19:10 AM
Conor, great haul! Now that I see you bought the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Deluxe Edition, I've now become tempted. CDCDCD definitely kicking in here. It's just such a great album and I'd love to hear all that bonus material. My clicking finger is getting rather itchy now. ;) As for that The Aeroplane Flies High is an excellent set. I believe my dad bought this set upon it's release. Enjoy!

What I heard so far the Melon Collie deluxe set is excellent - it has 64 extra tracks of unreleased songs, demos and alternative versions so its pretty comprehensive. Billy Corgan was very prolific!. The only negative is that the box-set is rather expensive :( I got a digital version for about half the price of the physical copy but I would have paid to own the discs if there was no other way. I am impressed that your Dad follows a band like Smashing Pumpkins!. I mostly gave up on new bands a while ago as there is so much music of my era and before which interests me. The Aeroplane Flies High box-set is pretty cool too. I was listening to the 1st Disc last night and it has some good instrumentals and a cover version of the Cures A Night Like This on it. I am looking forward to listening to all of both boxes!.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on June 28, 2014, 02:57:20 PM
What I heard so far the Melon Collie deluxe set is excellent - it has something like 46 tracks of unreleased songs, demos and alternative versions so its pretty comprehensive. Billy Corgan was very prolific!. The only negative is that the box-set is rather expensive :( I got a digital version for about half the price of the physical copy but I would have paid to own the discs if there was no other way. I am impressed that your Dad follows a band like Smashing Pumpkins!. I mostly gave up on new bands a while ago as there is so much music of my era and before which interests me. The Aeroplane Flies High box-set is pretty cool too. I was listening to the 1st Disc last night and it has some good instrumentals and a cover version of the Cures A Night Like This on it. I am looking forward to listening to all of both boxes!.

Excellent, I'm glad you're enjoying the music. As I mentioned before, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness have always stuck out amongst their other albums as they seem to be pushing themselves into so many different musical directions. Mellon Collie even borders on prog rock sometimes! As for my dad, I wouldn't say he's a hardcore fan of the band, but owns most of their albums. Truth be told, he's more of a prog guy like me and even great fan of jazz.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Pink Floyd - Shine On -

Information on the Shine On box set -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shine_On_(box_set)

And a few Pink Floyd t-shirts -

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 29, 2014, 12:37:36 PM
Just bought:

Pink Floyd - Shine On -

Information on the Shine On box set -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shine_On_(box_set)

And a few Pink Floyd t-shirts -

Excellent purchase! - you were lucky to get a copy of the Shine On box-set as it looks out of print?. I really like the T-Shirts too, may have to get a couple of them myself!  :D

Night Vision

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on June 29, 2014, 04:34:09 PM

Excellent purchase! - you were lucky to get a copy of the Shine On box-set as it looks out of print?. I really like the T-Shirts too, may have to get a couple of them myself!  :D

Hey, thanks, Conor. Yep, this Shine On box set is OOP, but if you've got a watchful eye, you can snag a copy of it on eBay. I've actually had my eye on this set for quite some time even though I already own the Discovery set, which contains all the 2011 remasters. The Shine On set was released in 1992 and contains remasters from this period. They should sound good. As for the Pink Floyd shirts, I also bought these off of eBay. I'm thinking of a getting a Wish You Were Here shirt, too. I also would like to pick up some King Crimson, Yes, and Genesis shirts at some point as well.

Night Vision

Got these ones (own all the SP albums now :)):

Mirror Image

Octave

.[asin]B000068PQ7[/asin]
Gene Clark: WHITE LIGHT aka s/t
I opted for the edition with bonus tracks instead of the Sundazed edition, whose sound is preferred by some.

[asin]B0000DZ3DR[/asin]
Gene Clark & Carla Olson: SO REBELLIOUS A LOVER
That title appeals to me about as much as all that denim, but I listened to a few songs and I think the music will be a keeper.  Drogulus (?) once posted a sweet YT clip of them singing a song from this record on some TV show around the same time ('87?) and it was lovely.  The ~country-rock thing is probably going to be a big interest of mine this year.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Night Vision

These 3 :D:

Mirror Image

Bought this Pink Floyd t-shirt tonight:

And this one:

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 05, 2014, 07:20:06 PM
Bought this Pink Floyd t-shirt tonight:

And this one:

These ones are really nice especially the Genesis shirt!

Night Vision

I downloaded a few albums today:

I listened to the Animals Collectives Strawberry Jam already - I hadn't heard anything from this band before and I really enjoyed it as it was very imaginative and unusual.
I listened to the Aeroplane over the Sea and Everything Is by Neutral Milk Hotel as well - I liked the Everything is EP but found the Aeroplane.. album a bit hackneyed and morbid. It was only a first listen of all these albums today so no doubt my opinion will chage over time. There have been occasions when I have disliked music on first listen and then came to enjoy it later :).

Octave

Quote from: Conor71 on July 05, 2014, 10:16:34 PM
I listened to the Aeroplane over the Sea and Everything Is by Neutral Milk Hotel as well - I liked the Everything is EP but found the Aeroplane.. album a bit hackneyed and morbid.

That has been my problem with AOTS every time (of several) that I've listened to it.  I like a lot of the music to come out of that scene, but that album hasn't ever clicked for me.  It's too bad, because the devotion of its fans seems mega-sincere.  I'm hoping to warm up to it someday.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Night Vision

Quote from: Octave on July 05, 2014, 10:41:33 PM
That has been my problem with AOTS every time (of several) that I've listened to it.  I like a lot of the music to come out of that scene, but that album hasn't ever clicked for me.  It's too bad, because the devotion of its fans seems mega-sincere.  I'm hoping to warm up to it someday.

Yes, there is a lot of praise for this album on the net and I was surprised at not liking it as much as other people. Im glad im not the only one who was a bit disappointed - I did think it trotted out just about every indie cliché in the book, maybe that's why some people like it a lot? im not sure. I will give it another listen in future too to be sure :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on July 05, 2014, 10:06:47 PM
These ones are really nice especially the Genesis shirt!

Thanks, Conor. Now, I need to find some King Crimson and Marillion shirts. 8)

Mirror Image

I'm in prog heaven...

Just bought -

Definitive Edition with Blu-Ray with 5.1 surround sound mix plus new stereo remix all done by Steven Wilson.

I'm not a huge Tull fan, but A Passion Play is my favorite album from them and this new expanded edition looks mighty interesting.

My favorite ELP album and this 40th Anniversary Edition features a new stereo remix and a 5.1 surround sound mix all done by Steven Wilson.