Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on March 25, 2016, 12:41:41 PM
And how's it going?

I'm enjoying practically all of it, and probably for much the same reason that the double-LP release has always ranked high for me among Dylan albums.  I've just started on disc 3.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Quote from: karlhenning on March 26, 2016, 08:51:33 AM
I'm enjoying practically all of it, and probably for much the same reason that the double-LP release has always ranked high for me among Dylan albums.  I've just started on disc 3.

More than any other Dylan, that material took the longest for me to "get."The orginal 2CD set never clicked for me at all. I only bought the big set because it was special and so revered by fans. I think hearing it all, in context, without the overdubs and songs sung by people other than Dylan really helped me get in the door. Or perhaps Richard finally opened it.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

ritter

Bought in the wonderful Livraria da Travessa in Leblon:

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on March 25, 2016, 12:41:41 PM
And how's it going?

And I am enjoying the alternate takes on the well-known favorites from the 2-LP original every bit as much as anticipated. Sometimes I enjoy the one-time "events" which did not transfer (for a variety of reasons) to the "authorized" take; in some cases, I find it interesting how some elements, which help give the final take its character, are missing from the first-ish take.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Considering I'm such a fan of so many 90s sitcoms (the main ones being Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, Wings), I am utterly ashamed at how long I've neglected The Larry Sanders Show. It was high time I rectified that ASAP:

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on March 26, 2016, 12:39:33 PM
More than any other Dylan, that material took the longest for me to "get."The orginal 2CD set never clicked for me at all. I only bought the big set because it was special and so revered by fans. I think hearing it all, in context, without the overdubs and songs sung by people other than Dylan really helped me get in the door. Or perhaps Richard finally opened it.

Somehow I missed this post, sorry!

I could certainly see the interspersed Band numbers getting in the way;  they certainly change the overall texture/flow.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

I so enjoyed streaming Róisín Murphy's solo discs that I decided I should buy them all and give them a proper listen through a proper stereo with no pesky compression.  I think I'll sample her Moloko era stuff next.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Bogey

One of the handful of decent Marvel scores in recent times.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Henk

~
[asin]B00NI2PHAU[/asin]

John Zorn:
[asin]B01AVTULS0[/asin]
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Karl Henning

Well, they're classics, of course.  Just landed:

[asin]B008DKHTXU[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Autumn Leaves

Was listening to my old copy of this album today and struggling with it because it sounds so bad - I think its probably a pretty primitive sounding recording anyway but im hoping the later remastering will boost the volume and clarity a bit so I can hear whats going on.

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on April 14, 2016, 06:36:29 AM
Well, they're classics, of course.  Just landed:

[asin]B008DKHTXU[/asin]

NICE!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Autumn Leaves

Latest buy:

The 30th Anniversary edition of DSOTM

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I've been meaning to watch The Blade Runner again as it's been many years, so I figured there was no time like the present to upgrade my DVD version with 30th Anniversary Edition. As a bonus, I also bought the special 3-CD edition of the original soundtrack by Vangelis.

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 21, 2016, 05:40:12 PM
Just bought:

I've been meaning to watch The Blade Runner again as it's been many years, so I figured there was no time like the present to upgrade my DVD version with 30th Anniversary Edition. As a bonus, I also bought the special 3-CD edition of the original soundtrack by Vangelis.

That looks like a nice purchase - I have the Anniversary Blade Runner Soundtrack and like it a lot.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Autumn Leaves on April 22, 2016, 12:04:31 AM
That looks like a nice purchase - I have the Anniversary Blade Runner Soundtrack and like it a lot.

Good to hear, Conor. I recall enjoying Blade Runner many years ago and I do distinctly remember it's soundtrack, which sounded quite nice. I think what I'm going to do from now on is when I buy a film (that I like a lot) and want to upgrade to blu-ray (especially those special edition digibooks and steelbooks), I'm going to purchase the soundtrack along with it. I don't buy movies too often, but this seems like a good idea and will, in the process, expand my soundtrack collection.

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 22, 2016, 03:33:56 AM
Good to hear, Conor. I recall enjoying Blade Runner many years ago and I do distinctly remember it's soundtrack, which sounded quite nice. I think what I'm going to do from now on is when I buy a film (that I like a lot) and want to upgrade to blu-ray (especially those special edition digibooks and steelbooks), I'm going to purchase the soundtrack along with it. I don't buy movies too often, but this seems like a good idea and will, in the process, expand my soundtrack collection.

That sounds like a good plan - Im quite fond of Soundtrack albums too (I really dig Pink Floyd and Peter Gabriel's Soundtrack albums in particular!).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Autumn Leaves on April 22, 2016, 06:30:16 PM
That sounds like a good plan - Im quite fond of Soundtrack albums too (I really dig Pink Floyd and Peter Gabriel's Soundtrack albums in particular!).

My favorite soundtrack is to a film I've never seen titled Ran (a feudal period Japanese film). The music is written by a favorite composer of mine: Takemitsu.

Other favorites: Chinatown by Jerry Goldsmith, Psycho by Bernard Herrmann, and The Mission by Ennio Morricone. Oh and all of Williams' Star Wars despite him being a cribber. :)

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 21, 2016, 05:40:12 PM
Just bought:

Money very well spent, John.