Domenico Scarlatti (1685-1757)

Started by prémont, September 18, 2007, 11:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Que on December 23, 2008, 08:47:27 AM
Yes, it does get better - I liked it right from the start, but there is more to discover. Definitely will get vol.1.
But, as you quite appropriately remarked before: these are highly individual, brilliant and very free, quixotic interpretations.
I guess Enrico Baiano is the Italian counterpart of Christophe Rousset of sorts.

More like a counterpart of Pierre Hantaï I would say. Rousset is in these ears much to civilized and traditional to deserve mentioning along with a free-styler like Baiano. Nevertheless I shall go on listening to Baiano and even acquire Vol I.

Quote from: Que on December 23, 2008, 08:47:27 AM
I've noticed that in harpsichord players you lean, unlike me, more towards the "Leonhardt School": Leonhardt himself (naturally  ;D), Borgstede, Belder, Gilbert, Moroney. Harpsichordists I generally do not prefer.

"Leonhardt school"? Well, the first I would think of are Alan Curtis and Glen Wilson and maybe Robert Hill. And also Pierre Hantaï who sometimes turns the Leonhardt style into extremes. I think Belder and Gilbert (who have got a lot of stylistical features in common) are too modest in their expressive means to be true members of the Leonhardt school.

Generally I prefer an individual interpretation, but not at any cost (not the cost of the CD but at the expence of style of interpretation). In my opinion Leonardt offers the most consistently stylish and individual interpretation of our days, but the great number of his imitators makes one forget how original and individual he really is.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: premont on December 24, 2008, 10:11:21 AM
"Leonhardt school"? Well, the first I would think of are Alan Curtis and Glen Wilson and maybe Robert Hill. And also Pierre Hantaï who sometimes turns the Leonhardt style into extremes. I think Belder and Gilbert (who have got a lot of stylistical features in common) are too modest in their expressive means to be true members of the Leonhardt school.

Generally I prefer an individual interpretation, but not at any cost (not the cost of the CD but at the expence of style of interpretation). In my opinion Leonardt offers the most consistently stylish and individual interpretation of our days, but the great number of his imitators makes one forget how original and individual he really is.

Oh well, but I do like Curtis, Wilson and Hill! :)
And can - in an way - appreciate the old master himself. But... he does not - ultimately - tickles my imagination to full satisfaction. 8) He is stylish indeed but also (a bit) stern.. ::)

Q

Daverz

Quote from: Drasko on December 17, 2008, 09:38:42 AM
Well, it does say Ambroisie but catalogue number MIR9918 is catalogue number of first volume of Hantai's Mirare discs (and number of sonatas and total timing fits), I'd guess misprint on the label part.

Yup, just got my BRO order.  It's volume 1 of Hantaï's Mirarae series.  I guess Ambroisie is the parent label.  They still have it for $7:

http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/search.php?row=0&brocode=134363

Bunny

Quote from: Daverz on January 08, 2009, 04:33:25 PM
Yup, just got my BRO order.  It's volume 1 of Hantaï's Mirarae series.  I guess Ambroisie is the parent label.  They still have it for $7:

http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/search.php?row=0&brocode=134363

I recently pulled out my cd of Hantaï's second recording of the Goldberg variations.  While the digipak is marked only Mirare,  the cd is marked "Ambroisie" and "Mirare."   

Bulldog

Quote from: Bunny on May 25, 2009, 10:42:57 AM
???
Who doesn't do much for you?  Scarlatti, or Weissenberg playing Scarlatti?  ???

Scarlatti.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on May 25, 2009, 11:11:04 AM
Scarlatti.

I like D. Scarlatti, though many of my recordings are performance on piano instead of on harpsichord.

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 25, 2009, 11:15:46 AM

I like D. Scarlatti, though many of my recordings are performance on piano instead of on harpsichord.

I didn't say that I did not like his music.  I just don't go out of my way to acquire it.  Most of my Scarlatti discs come either from MusicWeb or a friend in Moline, Illinois - about three months ago he sent me 15 Scarlatti discs (mix of piano and harpsichord).

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on May 25, 2009, 11:21:59 AM
I didn't say that I did not like his music.  I just don't go out of my way to acquire it.  Most of my Scarlatti discs come either from MusicWeb or a friend in Moline, Illinois - about three months ago he sent me 15 Scarlatti discs (mix of piano and harpsichord).

In a way, Scarlatti is much overshadowed by his contemporaries such as Bach, Handel and Vivaldi.  I have a hard time justfying getting this set of 36 CD's of harpsichord music.

Bunny

Quote from: Coopmv on May 25, 2009, 11:30:11 AM

In a way, Scarlatti is much overshadowed by his contemporaries such as Bach, Handel and Vivaldi.  I have a hard time justfying getting this set of 36 CD's of harpsichord music.

Scarlatti is a very much under appreciated composer.  His music plays as well on piano as on harpsichord, and it also works especially well transcribed for one or two guitars.  Sorry but I don't have the Belder set, and am unfamiliar with him so I can't tell you whether I think his set is worth the money.  I have the Scott Ross set which has gotten way too expensive now. 

Another good option are the Pierre Hantaï volumes which turn up at BRO on occasion.  Hantaï's Scarlatti is first rate.

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 25, 2009, 11:30:11 AM

In a way, Scarlatti is much overshadowed by his contemporaries such as Bach, Handel and Vivaldi. 

I'll take Scarlatti over Vivaldi any day of the week.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on May 25, 2009, 02:25:58 PM
I'll take Scarlatti over Vivaldi any day of the week.

We all have different tastes.  I enjoy my Vivaldi collection, which obviously goes well beyond Le Quattro Stagioni ...     ;D

FideLeo

Quote from: Coopmv on May 25, 2009, 02:33:25 PM
We all have different tastes.  I enjoy my Vivaldi collection, which obviously goes well beyond Le Quattro Stagioni ...     ;D

I am glad a choice between them is not necessary - they didn't usually compose in the same categories anyway. (Although I must admit that Domenico's vocal works are currently under-recorded.)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Bunny

Quote from: traverso on May 26, 2009, 12:26:54 AM
I am glad a choice between them is not necessary - they didn't usually compose in the same categories anyway. (Although I must admit that Domenico's vocal works are currently under-recorded.)

Unlike his father, Alessandro whose vocal works are more completely recorded. 

prémont

Quote from: Bunny on May 27, 2009, 10:24:17 AM
Unlike his father, Alessandro whose vocal works are more completely recorded. 

On the other hand, Alessandro´s harpsichord works are under-recorded.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bunny

Quote from: premont on May 27, 2009, 01:09:34 PM

Indeed.  ;)

SonicMan46

Quote from: premont on May 27, 2009, 01:09:34 PM

Quote from: Bunny on May 27, 2009, 03:24:40 PM
Indeed.  ;)

Boy, I hope that these Scarlattis' did not have a bunch of siblings & nephews!  :D  This discussion could go on forever -  ;) ;D  Dave

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on May 27, 2009, 03:33:34 PM
Boy, I hope that these Scarlattis' did not have a bunch of siblings & nephews!  :D  This discussion could go on forever -  ;) ;D  Dave

The Scarlatti's were no match for the Bachs in terms of the number of composers produced by the respective clans ...

FideLeo

Quote from: Coopmv on May 27, 2009, 05:34:22 PM

The Scarlatti's were no match for the Bachs in terms of the number of composers produced by the respective clans ...

Unfortunately, most other Bach's than JS and sons have currently been under-recorded.   ;)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Coopmv

Quote from: traverso on May 29, 2009, 08:01:05 PM
Unfortunately, most other Bach's than JS and sons have currently been under-recorded.   ;)

I like JC Bach and enjoyed this 5 CD-set ...

FideLeo

Quote from: Coopmv on May 29, 2009, 08:21:52 PM

I like JC Bach and enjoyed this 5 CD-set ...

Yes but this JC, if I am not mistaken, is one of JS's sons....