The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 30, 2019, 11:01:06 AM
At times, I post a reply to in the wrong thread.
Think of it as raising the tone of some thread chosen at random.

drogulus

Quote from: LKB on October 30, 2019, 10:27:46 AM
I remember hearing about The Pacific when it was first presented. At that time my interest in Guadalcanal still lay in the future, to be ignited by James Hornfischer's excellent Neptune's Inferno. So l haven't seen any of it, which has apparently resulted in my not knowing what l didn't know.  :D

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Pacified,

LKB

If you have Amazon Prime, it's free. I have the BDs.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

Quote from: Ken B on October 30, 2019, 11:46:33 AM
Think of it as raising the tone of some thread chosen at random.

I know tone. Marshall's are buzzy.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Andante

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 30, 2019, 11:01:06 AM
At times, I post a reply to in the wrong thread.

U2.   Either too much red wine or you are getting old and decrepit   :(
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Andante on October 30, 2019, 11:58:20 AM
U2.   Either too much red wine or you are getting old and decrepit   :(

Alas for me! I have quaffed no red wine!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

LKB

My wine-quaffing days are pretty much over. I now enjoy wine/ whiskey/ whatever at a measured, leisurely pace.

Certain foods though, l quaff like hell...

Sipping,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Andante

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 30, 2019, 03:04:44 PM
Alas for me! I have quaffed no red wine!
Aha so you must be old and decrepit... Join the club  ;)
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Ken B

This might be of interest,since we seem to be the target of DDOS attacks recently.
Notepad++ is a good text editor. https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/30/20940651/text-editor-notepad-free-uyghur-edition-china-spam

I doubt LeBron James has the coding skills, but ...

greg

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

SimonNZ

Death threats =/= "her critics"

But that's Breitbart for you.

Pick a different source and see how this story is being reported.

drogulus

Facebook isn't a government that can take away a Constitutional right by upholding a standard of conduct.

This is what she said:

I don't see censorship.

Florestan

Quote from: drogulus on November 02, 2019, 05:15:35 AM
     Facebook isn't a government that can take away a Constitutional right by upholding a standard of conduct.

This is what she said:

I don't see censorship.

To see Greta Thunberg denouncing hate and threats is highly entertaining.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on November 02, 2019, 05:23:47 AM

Ms Thunberg's prominence among mush-brained lefties and other gullible fools is the very embodiment of Mr Bernays' ideas.  The more things change, and all that. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

drogulus

Quote from: Florestan on November 02, 2019, 05:23:47 AM

I'm sure it is. Her approach to climate activism is that of a young person who inspires other young people. Old people think there are flaws in how she does it. Even I, an old person, think so.

The left has not gone far from what the science says. On the problem side, they stick to the facts as known. My old person criticism is on the solution side. The left thinks solutions will impose high net costs on the economy. I think solutions will confer net benefits. The left thinks it wants a poorer but cleaner and more equal world. I think a cleaner world will be richer by design.

greg

Every time someone questions whether an authority should "allow" "hate speech," you just ask them to define what it is. It's far to subjective to be something that can be used to limit freedom of speech, period.

Also reminds me of the Carlos Maza incident. It's just the same trend of leftists trying to leverage the "compassion" of large corporations in order to attain power (what it really is is that they are scared of the backlash of doing nothing, which is provoked by the other leftist mobs, such as online journalists writing angry articles, fear of losing money, etc.).

The same can be seen with large corporations and their fear of losing money from China. Problem is large American corporations have no moral compass, except they fake whatever sense of morality will prevent them from losing money.

Also, literally everyone with a large following nowadays gets death threats, even if they don't do anything wrong. It's not even worth mentioning unless someone shows up to your house or something extreme.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya