The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 16, 2023, 04:46:15 AMI wonder what they will use the funds for?

Standard sovereign wealth fund activities, eg, investing in other companies, projects, etc to diversify future income streams for the House of Saud.  Oh yeah, and the people.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on April 16, 2023, 04:58:12 AMStandard sovereign wealth fund activities, eg, investing in other companies, projects, etc to diversify future income streams for the House of Saud.  Oh yeah, and the people.
Yeah, I read that it was to help the people; hence I'll be interested to hear how the money will be/is spent.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 16, 2023, 05:02:55 AMYeah, I read that it was to help the people; hence I'll be interested to hear how the money will be/is spent.

It won't be spent.  It will be invested.

greg

Genuinely one of the funniest youtube videos ever made

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Karl Henning

Expect a sweet spot for runners with cool temperatures and limited rain on Marathon Monday
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

DavidW

Netflix to stop shipping dvds on September 29.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on April 21, 2023, 04:56:33 PMNetflix to stop shipping dvds on September 29.
I thought they'd stopped already ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 21, 2023, 05:27:32 PMI thought they'd stopped already ....
Remember that our northern friend mentioned that she still was using them?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 21, 2023, 05:27:32 PMI thought they'd stopped already ....

I tried them out in January, mostly due to nostalgia but also I could watch a ton of movies that were not on streaming.  I encountered the things that nostalgia erases.  Scratched discs interrupting the movie.  Netflix playing games to slow down shipping.

But man back in the day it was great.  When I was in grad school I used Netflix to not only watch movies, but binge watch tv shows.  I had 5 or maybe even 6 out at a time and shipping times were not a week, they were two day turn around.  It completely replaced cable for me, which was overpriced hot garbage.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 22, 2023, 03:55:41 AMRemember that our northern friend mentioned that she still was using them?

PD
Ah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on April 22, 2023, 04:56:26 AMI tried them out in January, mostly due to nostalgia but also I could watch a ton of movies that were not on streaming.  I encountered the things that nostalgia erases.  Scratched discs interrupting the movie.  Netflix playing games to slow down shipping.

But man back in the day it was great.  When I was in grad school I used Netflix to not only watch movies, but binge watch tv shows.  I had 5 or maybe even 6 out at a time and shipping times were not a week, they were two day turn around.  It completely replaced cable for me, which was overpriced hot garbage.
I subscribed for a bit back when.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 24, 2023, 02:26:25 PMWhy Netflix DVD Always Had Better Selections than Netflix Streaming

I remember in the early days wondering how long it would take for Netflix streaming to catch up to even a fraction of the dvd catalog (and that was back in the golden age pre streaming wars).  The answer was NEVER! EVER!  EVER!!!

VonStupp

Quote from: DavidW on April 24, 2023, 03:34:17 PMI remember in the early days wondering how long it would take for Netflix streaming to catch up to even a fraction of the dvd catalog (and that was back in the golden age pre streaming wars).  The answer was NEVER! EVER!  EVER!!!

I just quit discs in the mail from Netflix at the New Year (I think I joined in 2004). It was great being able to grab from their large back-catalog of old movies, many of which I probably would have never seen otherwise. Never did streaming through them, although a friend keeps recommending a glass-blowing show.

But Netflix's shipping locations got farther and farther, so I dropped it and the girls and I have been enjoying Disney+.
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

drogulus

Quote from: DavidW on April 22, 2023, 04:56:26 AMI encountered the things that nostalgia erases.  Scratched discs interrupting the movie.

I have had a couple of scratched discs that wouldn't play. The rips were perfect.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Sometimes I've had frustrating experiences borrowing DVDs (or CDs) from the library(s)...particularly frustrating when watching a t.v. series when big chunks of it are skipped over due to damage.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter