The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on February 21, 2022, 01:28:26 AM
Ow!

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/finnish-skier-frozen-penis-reni-lindholm-beijing-olympics-1310303/
Something chronic?

Quote from: Daniel KrepsReuters notes that, somehow, this isn't the first time Lindholm's penis has froze mid-race, as a similar incident happened during a cross-country skiing event in Finland in 2021.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

T. D.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 21, 2022, 09:10:19 AM
Something chronic?

That sort of thing is no joke, and far from a remote risk. When I was a distance runner (and once when playing pond hockey), I had some similar incidents, which fell short of what was described in the story but were far from pleasant.  ::) There's a product called "wind briefs" which are strongly recommended for male winter athletic activity.

And, switching genders, something truly bizarre from the world of women's professional cycling:

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/ellen-van-dijk-got-a-vibrator-as-a-prize-for-winning-a-uci-race/

Karl Henning

Quote from: T. D. on March 04, 2022, 09:12:14 PM
That sort of thing is no joke, and far from a remote risk.

Of course. It kind of looks like: what does it take for him to learn something?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Well, I'm not any kind of skier but l expect I'd rather add a fraction of a second if it meant avoiding a cocksicle.  ???
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

MusicTurner

Danish government plan to ban smoking for people born after 2010, and alcohol for people under 18 - especially the last point will be extremely controversial, but it's due to problems with youngsters' alcohol consumption for decades. The majority in parliament isn't secured yet though. Quite a break with the local, generally laid-back image. But not so far from Swedish and Finnish rules, for example.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 14, 2022, 11:37:11 PM
Danish government plan to ban smoking for people born after 2010, and alcohol for people under 18 - especially the last point will be extremely controversial, but it's due to problems with youngsters' alcohol consumption for decades. The majority in parliament isn't secured yet though. Quite a break with the local, generally laid-back image. But not so far from Swedish and Finnish rules, for example.
Interesting!  Do Sweden and Finland also have similar smoking bans?  I imagine that the tobacco industry must be putting in a fair bit of lobbying effort against that proposed law.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

greg

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 14, 2022, 11:37:11 PM
but it's due to problems with youngsters' alcohol consumption for decades.
Right, making it illegal will surely stop underage drinking, as we can see that it is uncommon here in the US. /s
What are they thinking?  ???
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

MusicTurner

Quote from: greg on March 15, 2022, 09:46:03 AM
Right, making it illegal will surely stop underage drinking, as we can see that it is uncommon here in the US. /s
What are they thinking?  ???

Stats show a major problem. It's the normality, not a fringe problem. You see the metropolitan trains invaded by drunken youths at times, down to 12 years of age, here - especially at the end of the week. They've tried tons of health campaigns etc. The ofte absent parent generation is now striking back, but on a less personal level ... :)

However, the 18 years level is pretty high; yet, in Sweden, it's 20 years.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 15, 2022, 02:45:41 AM
Interesting!  Do Sweden and Finland also have similar smoking bans?  I imagine that the tobacco industry must be putting in a fair bit of lobbying effort against that proposed law.

PD

It's been a long development, of further, restricting measures. I don't think they'll be trying a lot. But some politicians will argue against it, referring to individual liberty as imperative.

Finland has a target of only 5% smokers on a daily basis in 2030;  Sweden has an aim about a "smoking-free Sweden" already in 2025, but I don't know the details, it's probably about a generally smoking-free public environment.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 20, 2022, 11:09:00 AM
Opinion: The Senate accidentally agreed to move our clocks forward. Blame Putin.

The Amateur Hour

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), the presiding officer, was complicit in the scheme. She quickly declared "without objection, so ordered" and then, in her latest breach of decorum, stage-whispered "yes!" into the microphone and pumped two celebratory fists.

Rubio and Sinema had pulled a fast one. A proposal with only 18 co-sponsors cleared the body in a New York minute. Neither the Democratic whip nor the Republican whip in the Senate knew it was happening. And the Senate has no way to claw back the bill, so it goes to the House — which hopefully will be a bit more deliberative before messing with Father Time.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Comically amateurish, l agree. But if it turns out to be a larger blunder than anticipated, at least it won't require endless committees or studies or inquests to rectify.

( Then again, a congress with such as Green, Cruz and other brilliant Trumpkins among the membership could be capable of breathtaking stupidity. )

DavidW

I am a fan of not having to change the clock twice a year but... the winter mornings will be dark.  Also this is not the first time congress has made DST permanent and the effect was poorly received.  The right choice was to abolish DST, not make it permanent.

LKB

Quote from: DavidW on March 20, 2022, 03:10:32 PM
I am a fan of not having to change the clock twice a year but... the winter mornings will be dark.  Also this is not the first time congress has made DST permanent and the effect was poorly received.  The right choice was to abolish DST, not make it permanent.

Works for me. DST has always had both pluses and minuses, so whether it is permanent or nonexistent is a wash.

Szykneij

People who want daylight saving time all year change their minds when their kids are shivering in the dark waiting for the school bus.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

JBS

Quote from: Szykneij on March 20, 2022, 03:23:11 PM
People who want daylight saving time all year change their minds when their kids are shivering in the dark waiting for the school bus.

The alternative in many places means afternoon rush hour and late afternoon activities/errands are after sunset, so it's kind of pick your poison.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Spotted Horses

I remember very well the implementation of year-round daylight savings time, which was supposed to save energy during the Energy crisis, and didn't.

Is it really too much to ask that 12 noon actually be noon?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 21, 2022, 07:27:27 AM
I remember very well the implementation of year-round daylight savings time, which was supposed to save energy during the Energy crisis, and didn't.

I endorse this rhetorical q.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

steve ridgway

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 21, 2022, 07:27:27 AM

It's 9 minutes past 12 here by railway time, unless it's 9 minutes past one. :-\