Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on July 13, 2016, 06:35:05 AM
Faroe Islands Unveil Google Sheep View

You laugh but I'm at the cottage and my choices, should I be silly enough to watch any TV, are cable news about Trumpary, and sheep. I'll take sheep.  :blank:

Brian

Military coup underway in Turkey. Erdogan is out of the country on vacation. Military claims they have taken over. This is ... potentially very good news. But could very easily turn into very bad news.

(poco) Sforzando

"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 08, 2016, 09:50:26 AM
Since I never buy from Starbucks (not really convenient for a lunchtime coffee, and don't need them elsewhere.  And I don't like how their coffee tastes, anyway.),  won't cost me more!

Starbucks coffee tastes like sludge, and I'm talking about the actual coffee, not the stuff with the mix and the foam and the spritz and the whip and the latte and the venti and the caramel and all the other crap they throw in to increase the sugar content and turn what should be a 0-calorie drink into the caloric equivalent of a 5-course meal at an upscale French restaurant, with prices to match. And yet at my local Barnes and Noble, with its Starbucks "café," people will stand on line 15 minutes and pay $5 a pop for one of these liquid desserts. I've got to admit, though, the almond croissants at Starbucks are really good (though I won't touch any of their other sugary treats, which are a minimum of 500 calories each). Truth to tell, the coffee at McDonald's is a lot better and costs just a dollar, any size.

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on July 15, 2016, 12:42:32 PM
Military coup underway in Turkey. Erdogan is out of the country on vacation. Military claims they have taken over. This is ... potentially very good news. But could very easily turn into very bad news.

My thoughts precisely.

Ken B

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on July 15, 2016, 01:17:57 PM
Starbucks coffee tastes like sludge, and I'm talking about the actual coffee, not the stuff with the mix and the foam and the spritz and the whip and the latte and the venti and the caramel and all the other crap they throw in to increase the sugar content and turn what should be a 0-calorie drink into the caloric equivalent of a 5-course meal at an upscale French restaurant, with prices to match. And yet at my local Barnes and Noble, with its Starbucks "café," people will stand on line 15 minutes and pay $5 a pop for one of these liquid desserts. I've got to admit, though, the almond croissants at Starbucks are really good (though I won't touch any of their other sugary treats, which are a minimum of 500 calories each). Truth to tell, the coffee at McDonald's is a lot better and costs just a dollar, any size.

We agree! I think Starbucks makes their coffee taste like burnt sludge purposely. Nudge towards the $8 barista concoction.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Ken B on July 15, 2016, 03:14:41 PM
We agree! I think Starbucks makes their coffee taste like burnt sludge purposely. Nudge towards the $8 barista concoction.

History has been made! Take this to the Important News Thread! Ken B has agreed with me on something! (Actually, he also agreed with me about Breaking Away.) I must lie down. My heart can't take this. Perhaps I shall just watch a film tonight, or listen to some Debussy while I'm recuperating. Where's my fan?

Todd

In the words of the Chairman of the Board:  New York!  New York!

Start spreading the news!  And all that.

East coast animals.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Todd on July 15, 2016, 06:34:41 PM
In the words of the Chairman of the Board:  New York!  New York!

Start spreading the news!  And all that.

East coast animals.

Could have occurred in any location. Now who's engaging in sloppy thinking and dehumanizing language?

Todd

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on July 15, 2016, 07:06:50 PM
Could have occurred in any location. Now who's engaging in sloppy thinking and dehumanizing language?

Following your lead.  Except I am relying facts.  It was east coasters who done did it first.  I get it, you prefer coulda/woulda statements when it suits.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Todd on July 15, 2016, 08:44:17 PM

Following your lead.  Except I am relying facts.  It was east coasters who done did it first.  I get it, you prefer coulda/woulda statements when it suits.

Not at all. You're trying to portray this as a New York or east coast characteristic, when it's simply something that occurred in New York. But thanks for following my lead.

Todd

North Star

There's been a shooting in Munich at the Olympia shopping centre. Police currently hunts the shooters.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/22/europe/germany-munich-shooting/index.html
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Todd

Todd

This makes me proud to be an Oregonian.

I wonder how many more districts nationwide have this problem.

Pat B

The Establishment Strikes Back

Note irony of a Koch Brothers lackey complaining about outside spending.

Ken B

Karl Henning

Where is the chair today?

Quote from: Travis M. AndrewsTime called it "one of the most baffling and iconic moments of the 2012 election" in a story wondering where the chair ended up.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

There is a bronze statue of Peter Falk in Hungary.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA