Rautavaara's Riverboat

Started by karlhenning, May 01, 2007, 11:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benji

Crikey... every time I see activity on this thread after a long while of none I am sure that someone is going to be reporting the composer's demise.

Phew...

greg

Quote from: Benji on November 14, 2009, 02:46:20 PM
Crikey... every time I see activity on this thread after a long while of none I am sure that someone is going to be reporting the composer's demise.

Phew...
That's exactly what I think on the Penderecki thread, and every now and then on the Carter thread.

Christo

Come on. He's not going to leave us without a Ninth, probably even more.

After No. 1 (1956), 2 (1957), 3 (1961) and 4 (1962) he kept silent for a while on the symphonic front. Then came his second series, with No.  5 (1986), 6 (1992), 7 (1995) and 8 (1999).

If he continues that way, we can expect a third series of four symphonies somewhere around 2025.

(Or perhaps they were written already. Isn't Kalevi Aho a Rautavaara redivivus?)

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on November 14, 2009, 10:42:16 PM
Come on. He's not going to leave us without a Ninth, probably even more.

After No. 1 (1956), 2 (1957), 3 (1961) and 4 (1962) he kept silent for a while on the symphonic front. Then came his second series, with No.  5 (1986), 6 (1992), 7 (1995) and 8 (1999).

If he continues that way, we can expect a third series of four symphonies somewhere around 2025.

(Or perhaps they were written already. Isn't Kalevi Aho a Rautavaara redivivus?)

Let's hope so  :) Especially as I like No 8 so much.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

gomro

I ordered a Magnus Lindberg disc from Arkivmusic.com; they rarely make errors, but I received a double set of Rautavaara's music for male choir.  Curiosity got the better of me and I went ahead and purchased the thing -- and for once, serendipity won out, because it is really unique and very fine.  Favorite piece is a setting of Whitman's Song of Myself, but there are gems throughout the collection.

Scarpia

What is the best place to start with the symphonies of this composer?

snyprrr

And I'd like to know about that 'Complete Music for Brass'/A Requiem for Our Time (Ondine) cd. Anyone have it? For some reason, this sounds like an interesting place to go.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: snyprrr on May 25, 2010, 02:37:15 AM
And I'd like to know about that 'Complete Music for Brass'/A Requiem for Our Time (Ondine) cd. Anyone have it? For some reason, this sounds like an interesting place to go.

I have (and praised it on p. 1 of this thread). As stated, I'm not a big Rautavaara fan, but this disc is highly recommendable.

Best things on it are the two "requiems" (the early Requiem for Our Time, and the later Soldier's Requiem), and the Wind Octet. The last-named is I believe a serial composition, but it is really quite fetching. It reminds me of Stravinsky's similar Octet in its overall mood.

If I had to keep only 1 Rautavaara CD, this would be it.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Edit: It's Soldier's Mass, not Requiem. Anyway, here's a review:

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=2035

Grazioso

Quote from: Scarpia on May 24, 2010, 11:43:47 PM

The third, which sounds like updated Bruckner. I like the Naxos recording of it best, though there are a few others. You can get all his symphonies cheaply in an Ondine box set:

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Sergeant Rock

You like Bruckner. Start with the Third. The Naxos CD is cheap, and great. Here are a few comments from early in this thread:

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 08, 2008, 12:56:44 PM
I remember vividly the first time I heard the opening pages of Rautavaara's 3rd...I sat up in absolute amazement.....Anton Bruckner was alive and well and working in Helsinki!! I still find it a very fine symphony indeed.

Quote from: Jezetha on February 19, 2008, 02:07:52 PM
I am listening to the Third Symphony (Pommer/ Leipzig Symphony Orchestra), and the opening made me smile - Bruckner 4 all over again, and no mistake.  I am listening for the first time, and I must say - this is very atmospheric and beautiful music!

Quote from: Christo on May 08, 2008, 12:21:19 PM
I tremendously enjoyed the very Brucknerian Third, but I'm still not completely convinced by the others.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Scarpia

Quote from: Grazioso on May 25, 2010, 04:40:43 AM
The third, which sounds like updated Bruckner. I like the Naxos recording of it best, though there are a few others. You can get all his symphonies cheaply in an Ondine box set:

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 25, 2010, 04:48:04 AM
You like Bruckner. Start with the Third. The Naxos CD is cheap, and great.

Ok, 3rd sounds interesting, but I'm leaning towards the Ondine disc because SACD sounds attractive.

What about the music for brass, "Requiem for our time" and all that?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Scarpia on May 25, 2010, 08:17:06 AM

What about the music for brass, "Requiem for our time" and all that?

Jeez, doesn't anyone read my posts?  >:(

Quote from: Velimir on May 25, 2010, 03:03:24 AM
I have (and praised it on p. 1 of this thread). As stated, I'm not a big Rautavaara fan, but this disc is highly recommendable.

Best things on it are the two "requiems" (the early Requiem for Our Time, and the later Soldier's Requiem), and the Wind Octet. The last-named is I believe a serial composition, but it is really quite fetching. It reminds me of Stravinsky's similar Octet in its overall mood.

If I had to keep only 1 Rautavaara CD, this would be it.

snyprrr

Has anyone heard R's brass music?

Mirror Image

I already owned all the Ondine recordings, so I bought the BIS recordings with Vanska and I can't wait to hear them! Symphonies Nos. 7 & 8 have been favorites of mine since I heard all of his symphonies. I also just bought this one:

Mirror Image

Go with Symphony No. 7 "Angel of Light" first. This is the composer in his mature style. I'm not one of these people who think a person should explore the early works first. If a composer is consistent, which Rautavaara has proven to be, then it doesn't matter where you jump in. I just happen to think the 7th is his masterpiece.

Benji

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 09, 2010, 01:07:08 PM

Go with Symphony No. 7 "Angel of Light" first. This is the composer in his mature style. I'm not one of these people who think a person should explore the early works first. If a composer is consistent, which Rautavaara has proven to be, then it doesn't matter where you jump in. I just happen to think the 7th is his masterpiece.

It doesn't get better than the Come un sogno. That said, I dislike the finale of the 7th. I return more often to the 8th and 3rd (especially the 3rd, I never tire of it).  :)

karlhenning

Benji

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 13, 2010, 08:37:59 AM
Hi, Ben!

Greetings Dr Karl. I'm still alive. Yay. How are you?

No sign of Rautavaara's 9th then. At least he's no longer very ill so there is hope he may get around to it. Does anyone have a spare few thousands pounds/dollars/euros for a commission?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Benji on September 13, 2010, 08:30:07 AM
It doesn't get better than the Come un sogno. That said, I dislike the finale of the 7th. I return more often to the 8th and 3rd (especially the 3rd, I never tire of it).  :)

Symphony No. 8 "The Journey" is very good too. I've heard it several times now.