Rautavaara's Riverboat

Started by karlhenning, May 01, 2007, 11:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on July 29, 2016, 11:23:25 AM
Listened to most of 7 yesterday... mmm... errr....yea, it sounds like good film music, but, we've all heard this... had it been written in 1926 I would be a little more impressed. I so prefer Kokkonen...

I prefer Sibelius, but that's not important on this thread. Rautavaara wrote some good music. Symphony No. 7 "Angel of Light" is my favorite of his along with the Violin Concerto and Autumn Gardens.

North Star

You may wish to edit 'Finish composer' from that obituary. Also, he died on Wednesday, not Thursday.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

jlaurson

Quote from: North Star on July 29, 2016, 12:31:11 PM
You may wish to edit 'Finish composer' from that obituary. Also, he died on Wednesday, not Thursday.

Whenever death is involved, I drop that "n".

But seriously. Egg. Face. THANK YOU for catching it!!!

North Star

Quote from: jlaurson on July 29, 2016, 12:37:03 PM
Whenever death is involved, I drop that "n".

But seriously. Egg. Face. THANK YOU for catching it!!!
You're welcome. I see the same typo repeated later "Now it is and will be the fate of every Finish composer to be compared to Sibelius–as, for example, with Leevi Madetoja"

My photographs on Flickr

jlaurson

Quote from: North Star on July 29, 2016, 12:40:00 PM
You're welcome. I see the same typo repeated later "Now it is and will be the fate of every Finish composer to be compared to Sibelius–as, for example, with Leevi Madetoja"

That's been fixed since. I knew well enough to search for "Finish" before I finished editing those mistakes.
More upsettingly, it was also in the cut'n'paste "blurb" -- and although that's been edited, the first version sticks whenever one shares it on some Social Media site... so that blot of bat spellink is here to stay.  :( :)

Rons_talking

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 29, 2016, 11:29:14 AM
I prefer Sibelius, but that's not important on this thread. Rautavaara wrote some good music. Symphony No. 7 "Angel of Light" is my favorite of his along with the Violin Concerto and Autumn Gardens.

Sorry to hear of his passing. I hate hearing the film-music comparison because it's not viable IMHO. Sure some cues might sound like Rautavaara but discounting some of his post 2000-works (Tapestry of Life, ie) his output is both melodic challenging and modern. Much of his music would be a distraction to the film-goer. It might seem atmospheric, but it's very structured at the macro-level. Most of his works reveal serial underpinnings when his scores are analyzed, but his traditional connection to his fatherland lends his vast output a Finnish. His music for voice is stellar.
One less of my favorites here on Earth.

nathanb

My favorite Rautavaara symphony might be the 4th. The 6th is pretty dang cool though.

snyprrr

Quote from: nathanb on July 29, 2016, 09:28:28 PM
My favorite Rautavaara symphony might be the 4th. The 6th is pretty dang cool though.

Yea, I think I'm preferring his 70s output more...

Karl Henning

I'll never know if the friend request on Facebook was one of the last things the composer did in life, or a Facebook hack.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on July 31, 2016, 11:20:49 AM
I'll never know if the friend request on Facebook was one of the last things the composer did in life, or a Facebook hack.
Golly!

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on July 31, 2016, 11:20:49 AM

Does Rautavaara have any known relatives or people that were close to him? Perhaps a family member or close friend took over his account and added you? But it is rather curious indeed.

Rons_talking

Quote from: snyprrr on July 31, 2016, 07:23:00 AM
Yea, I think I'm preferring his 70s output more...

Those first three are also excellant.

king ubu

Einojuhani Rautavaara (born 9 October 1928; died 27 July 2016)

obit from The Guardian
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

nathanb

Quote from: king ubu on August 03, 2016, 02:48:29 AM
Einojuhani Rautavaara (born 9 October 1928; died 27 July 2016)

obit from The Guardian

NOOOO! If we're not meant to have any more new Rautavaara, I hope Ondine will cover anything else they might've missed (a few more operas, at least, surely). The man deserves a complete edition, and of course Ondine has already recorded the majority of his stuff...

R.I.P. Einojuhani. Your music was pure magic. I will solemnly listen to your works today, tomorrow, and so forth, until I feel that I have mourned and grieved sufficiently.

CRCulver

Quote from: nathanb on August 03, 2016, 12:56:59 PM
NOOOO! If we're not meant to have any more new Rautavaara, I hope Ondine will cover anything else they might've missed (a few more operas, at least, surely).

As far as I know, with the release of Kaivos a few years back, Ondine has now made Rautavaara's complete opera output available on disc. There's even a DVD available of his television opera on O. Henry's The Gift of the Magi.

Karl Henning

Quote from: CRCulver on August 03, 2016, 04:17:33 PM
As far as I know, with the release of Kaivos a few years back, Ondine has now made Rautavaara's complete opera output available on disc. There's even a DVD available of his television opera on O. Henry's The Gift of the Magi.

I might call that extraordinary, only of course there is strong institutional support in Finland for living composers.

In the US, that would not be extraordinary; it would be science-fiction  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on August 04, 2016, 03:26:34 AM
I might call that extraordinary, only of course there is strong institutional support in Finland for living composers.

In the US, that would not be extraordinary; it would be science-fiction  8)
And not only for living composers, but for orchestras, operas, and musicians as well, making the performance of more than just warhorses feasible.

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on August 04, 2016, 03:46:36 AM
And not only for living composers, but for orchestras, operas, and musicians as well, making the performance of more than just warhorses feasible.

I am not envious, that this is true yonder, but not here.

I rejoice that it is true anywhere  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Sorry to hear this sad news although he had a long life with increasing recognition.
Symphony 8 'The Journey' is my favourite work of his although I like much else besides.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).