What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

Quote from: Brian on December 17, 2008, 06:23:46 PM
What a great great great book. You'll have to tell me how the translation stacks up, if you're familiar with the work...

Nope. The only other Dostoevsky I know is Crime and Punishment. I've been wanting to read this for awhile.

orbital

Quote from: Corey on December 17, 2008, 06:38:52 PM
Nope. The only other Dostoevsky I know is Crime and Punishment. I've been wanting to read this for awhile.
I hope you enjoy it more than I did. Honestly, it did not quite do it for me  :-\ Perhaps it was a classic case of unrealistic expactations. I hope it was that and not the translation, because I've read the same Garnett translation.

SonicMan46

Don't laugh now (as my Jewish wife did when she saw the book below):

Jewish Pirates of the Caribbean: How a Generation of Swashbuckling Jews Carved Out an Empire in the New World in Their Quest for Treasure, Religious Freedom--and Revenge (2008) by Edward Kritzler (an historian & Journalist who lives in Kingston, Jamaica).

Purchased from the History Book Club (I've been a member since the mid-1970s), and every holiday season an offer arrives for a 'free book' w/ a club purchase, so in perusing their website, this book was on a pre-arrival status - have not started my reading, but the Amazonian Reviews are excellent, so looking forward to the read!  :D

Bu

Quote from: orbital on December 18, 2008, 12:56:31 AM
I hope you enjoy it more than I did. Honestly, it did not quite do it for me  :-\ Perhaps it was a classic case of unrealistic expactations. I hope it was that and not the translation, because I've read the same Garnett translation.

My expectations weren't met, either--although I did find parts of the book to be stimulating.  I also had the Garnett translation, and I've decided that when I do re-read the BK, it will be in another one (most likely the one by Pevear and Volokhonsky).

For now, am finally exploring Nabokov:

orbital

Quote from: Bu on December 18, 2008, 01:20:40 PM

For now, am finally exploring Nabokov:

The only convincing love story of our time  >:D -as put by Vanity Fair.
Great, great book.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

ezodisy

The only convincing love story of our century? Male critic? What a silly thing to say (but hey, it got him into print, so he wins).

The Karamazov Brothers is great, worth revisiting with a different translation if you didn't like it the first time.

orbital

Quote from: ezodisy on December 18, 2008, 02:31:50 PM
The only convincing love story of our century? Male critic? What a silly thing to say (but hey, it got him into print, so he wins).
I don't know exactly whose quote it is, but I think h(s)he pretty much nailed it. Why would you think it is silly, even if it's coming from a man? From my point of view, there is nothing chauvinistic about that book. Quite the contrary in fact. Lola is not a victim, she is the predator, don't you think?
I myself could not help feeling sorry for Humbert, and frankly nothing but fascination with the Lolita character. 

The Karamazov Brothers is great, worth revisiting with a different translation if you didn't like it the first time.
Will do so, hopefully.

Lethevich

Oops, forgot that I could make use of this thread when I made the post... Currently slogging through Tirant lo Blanc. On more than the occasion it surprises me with how directly it can appeal to a modern reader, but mostly it's as difficult as I had guessed it would be.

Quote from: orbital on December 18, 2008, 10:51:11 PM
I don't know exactly whose quote it is, but I think h(s)he pretty much nailed it. Why would you think it is silly, even if it's coming from a man? From my point of view, there is nothing chauvinistic about that book. Quite the contrary in fact. Lola is not a victim, she is the predator, don't you think?

I'm not sure what is convincing about little girls going after old men. It is compelling but an unrealistic scenario :P (Edit: gross simplification of course!)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

orbital

Quote from: Lethe on December 18, 2008, 11:08:22 PM

I'm not sure what is convincing about little girls going after old men. It is compelling but an unrealistic scenario :P (Edit: gross simplification of course!)
Lethe, it is not the plot that is realistic but how the love story is cultivated. How Humbert's feelings are intricately detailed, his anxiety resulting from love bordering on obsession no matter who the object is, what the sad figure would do for love, etc. Take a look at the third page news and see whether seemingly more unrealistic things are indeed happening or not  :-\
IMO, seeing this story from a pedophilia point of view alone is -in a way- missing the whole point. IT is a sad love story whose protagonists happen to be controversial.

Lethevich

Quote from: orbital on December 18, 2008, 11:35:09 PM
Lethe, it is not the plot that is realistic but how the love story is cultivated. How Humbert's feelings are intricately detailed, his anxiety resulting from love bordering on obsession no matter who the object is, what the sad figure would do for love, etc. Take a look at the third page news and see whether seemingly more unrealistic things are indeed happening or not  :-\

I guess I missed the point, thanks :)

orbital

Quote from: Lethe on December 18, 2008, 11:53:24 PM
I guess I missed the point, thanks :)
The tone I detect is wrong, I hope Lethe. I don't mean to be patronizing. It's just that so many critics are dismissing this literary wonder solely on its subject matter, and I personally think that's a pity.

Lethevich

Quote from: orbital on December 19, 2008, 12:29:52 AM
The tone I detect is wrong, I hope Lethe. I don't mean to be patronizing. It's just that so many critics are dismissing this literary wonder solely on its subject matter, and I personally think that's a pity.

Oh, no - I just have a habit of missing the point with many things :D The subject itself is a non-issue for me, which is why I cut that part out of the quote - age of consent (an inconsistent thing from country to country) is routinely ignored in real life relationships, so to get hissy about a book describing it would be a bit unneccessary. I misunderstood your meaning when calling it convincing - I shouldn't have read "realism" into it, at least when applied to the subjects rather than the writing on the characters feelings. This would prompt me to read the book again, but I generally avoid any sad or melancholy-causing fiction like the plague...

orbital

Quote from: Lethe on December 19, 2008, 03:47:19 AM
This would prompt me to read the book again, but I generally avoid any sad or melancholy-causing fiction like the plague...
then I guess Belle du Seigneur is out of the question for you  :'(

Kullervo

I've always seen his paintings and drawings, but have somehow neglected to read anything on him until now.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Corey on December 23, 2008, 02:08:16 PM

I've always seen his paintings and drawings, but have somehow neglected to read anything on him until now.

Corey - same here, i.e. just a marvelous artist, but you will probably dislike him as a person, unfortunately!  ;)  Dave

Christo

For the very first time in my life:

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Joe_Campbell

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

orbital

With that many references to it in Lunar Park, I felt like re-reading American Psycho. Equally enjoyable the second time around.