What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Corey on March 18, 2009, 05:46:20 PM
An awesome novel. Hope you like it!

I have to start taking my reading more seriously or else you'll make me look like a chump.  ;D

I hope I like it too.  ;)

Kullervo

Yes, but you actually write yourself. I'm only a devotee of others' writings. :D

Lilas Pastia

Thanks for the posts on Orhan Pamuk. I had no idea who he was. Seems like my kind of novelist. I guess Mahfouz and Pamuk books will be on my table a lot  ;).

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Corey on March 18, 2009, 06:35:37 PM
Yes, but you actually write yourself. I'm only a devotee of others' writings. :D

Still, I've been reading too much "junk" lately. Don't want the old brain getting flabby(er).

bwv 1080

Very readable and engaging financial history. 

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Haffner

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 18, 2009, 06:45:34 PM
Still, I've been reading too much "junk" lately. Don't want the old brain getting flabby(er).

Conrad is great, "Lord Jim" is a classic as well. I really reccomend Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment", but you have to kind of bleep all the boa constrictor last names in it (got that from a "Peanuts" strip, laughing).

karlhenning

Quote from: erato on January 09, 2009, 06:17:46 AM
Philip Normans new Lennon biography. Very wellwritten and illuminating.

I've been reading that at odd stretches . . . but now, the shop seems to have sold off both copies, and I am still a hubdred and fifty or so pages from the end!  I know how it ends, sure, but I'm interested in the interval . . . ah well.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: AndyD. on March 19, 2009, 06:28:49 AM
Conrad is great, "Lord Jim" is a classic as well. I really reccomend Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment", but you have to kind of bleep all the boa constrictor last names in it (got that from a "Peanuts" strip, laughing).

Gee, I heard he was great. Now where did I hear that...?

Crime and Punishment? Been there, done that.

Kullervo

Quote from: AndyD. on March 19, 2009, 06:28:49 AM

What does Lord Jim have to do with Dostoevsky?

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Corey on March 19, 2009, 07:18:37 AM

I was wondering too.  ;D

Kullervo

Maybe as much as Allan Petterson has to do with Roger Sessions. ;D

All in jest, of course, Mr. D. ;)

Haffner

Quote from: Corey on March 19, 2009, 07:18:37 AM

From one perspective, Lord Jim is a classic book. Dostoevsky also wrote classic books.

From another perspective, perhaps you might have some ideas as to how Lord Jim has "something to do" with Dostoevsky, the man...or his work.

No disrespect intended, just food for conjecture. I have the day off (laughing good naturedly).

Florestan

Actually, I see Lord Jim as Conrad's Crime and Punishment.  0:)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Florestan on March 19, 2009, 07:43:43 AM
Actually, I see Lord Jim as Conrad's Crime and Punishment.  0:)

That clears that up.

Kullervo

Would that make Nostromo his Brothers Karamazov?

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Corey on March 19, 2009, 07:49:12 AM
Would that make Nostromo his Brothers Karamazov?

No, it would make it his Mary Poppins.

Dr. Dread