Author Topic: Richard Strauss's house  (Read 66479 times)

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
Re: Richard Strauss's house
« Reply #660 on: September 12, 2019, 12:37:05 AM »
Mehta’s Berliner Phil is one of my favourite versions. I look forward to read your opinion on all these recordings !!

I still have to track that down. Mehta's LA recording certainly disappointed me and wasn't at all as I often found it described (i.e. hyper-romantic).

Offline Andy D.

« Reply #661 on: September 12, 2019, 01:41:40 AM »
For those that I don't get a review in on ClassicsToday (or where my opinion differs too wildly from the ClassicsToday opinion), that's a good idea! I've always loved that work and never quite understood it being pooh-poohed.

It mostly got bad reviews for the inclusion of the wind machine and fx in general. Many critics back then weren't wild about film music (then in its infancy), and more than a little of Eine Alpensinfonie could have made it as a film score.

As a composer I must strongly vouch for not just the composition itself but for some of the most brilliant orchestration in art music history, period. I have used the book score umpteen times for help with my orchestrations...at least as much as I've used Mahler's symphonies (and Bernard Herrmann's best scores) for guidance in that area.

Online Roasted Swan

« Reply #662 on: September 12, 2019, 09:19:40 AM »
I still have to track that down. Mehta's LA recording certainly disappointed me and wasn't at all as I often found it described (i.e. hyper-romantic).

I rather like those early/LAPO/Mehta discs.  When he could still summon up enthusiasm for repertoire.  The Decca engineering is pretty 'glorious technicolour' too - spotlit bass trombones blaring their way through the big "vision" climax - what's not to love.  Like his "Domestica" from this set too.  The Sony/BPO remakes are superbly played and well engineered but all a bit urbane for me.  Can be found in one of those cheap as chips Sony box sets where they are tremendous value

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #663 on: September 12, 2019, 12:45:55 PM »
I rather like those early/LAPO/Mehta discs.  When he could still summon up enthusiasm for repertoire.  The Decca engineering is pretty 'glorious technicolour' too - spotlit bass trombones blaring their way through the big "vision" climax - what's not to love.  Like his "Domestica" from this set too.  The Sony/BPO remakes are superbly played and well engineered but all a bit urbane for me.  Can be found in one of those cheap as chips Sony box sets where they are tremendous value

I was looking into that box - it's almost cheaper than a used copy of the Berlin Alpensinfonie.

Listen, if you find the time, to the LA version again... and tell me if I'm wrong (or right). I found it very much NOT glorious or super-sonic-spectacular but rather underplayed. (Certainly coming off Previn/Philadelphia. And certainly until "Summit" - at which it gets better.)

Or need I just listen to it with the volume turned up a LOT more?