Franz Schubert

Started by Paul-Michel, April 25, 2008, 05:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

What happens when you play a Schubert piano piece on a real proper Schubert piano? Answer is as follows:

1. Less dynamic contrasts, so the performance is more confidential than declamotary .

2. The notes are more colourful because the sound of the piano is not pure. And the piano has registers which change the timbre.

So the most appropriate style for Schubert's piano music is symphonic and quiet.

Anyway, the bottom line is that the CD on the top line is good.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Daverz

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 01, 2020, 05:38:43 AM
Ludwig! I did not know she sung the Winterreise. Good you think?

I listened to about half of the DFD/Jörg Demus Winerreise yesterday. Very good

vers la flamme

Anyone heard this recent release? Mandryka, for some reason I think this would be right up your alley.

calyptorhynchus

I have bought the Naxos complete songs and have begun listening to them. But I noticed in downloading the libretti from the website that the numbering of the disks on the website differs from the numbering of the disks in the box. For example Die Schöne Müllerin is Vol1 according to the box, but Vol 5 according to the website and libretto.  Was the set renumbered at some stage?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vers la flamme

^I can't help answer your question, but please let us know what you think of the set. I have two volumes of it: Romantic Poets Vol. 1 & Schiller-Lieder Vol. 2. Everything sounds good, so far. Naxos has picked some beautiful voices, considering these singers are all but complete unknowns.

calyptorhynchus

Well I thought out of the two complete sets the Naxos was cheaper and had all native language singers so it was the one to go for. I have only listened to two disks (Schwanengesang and Die Schöne Müllerin) and have no complaints so far! I'm going to listen to the disks probably one or two a week for the next little while so if I come across a clanger I'll let you know.  :)
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vers la flamme

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on June 21, 2020, 07:57:40 PM
Well I thought out of the two complete sets the Naxos was cheaper and had all native language singers so it was the one to go for. I have only listened to two disks (Schwanengesang and Die Schöne Müllerin) and have no complaints so far! I'm going to listen to the disks probably one or two a week for the next little while so if I come across a clanger I'll let you know.  :)

Sounds good! I didn't even think to purchase the full set, but I ordered those two volumes because they were dirt cheap on Amazon, under $4 a piece, brand new. I'm not sure if I'm ready for a full Schubert Lieder set, though I expect I will be some day.

Florestan

I've been listening to these recently and I was blown away. Haefliger was a lyrical tenor and as such his voice is neither wide-ranged nor powerful, but boy, is it warm, velvety and versatile and suits Schubert's music like a glove. This is glorious singing that expresses every single nuance, from the gloomiest despair to the merriest happiness and everything in between and yet it sounds totally effortless and natural. Highly recommended. The only quibble I have is (predictably) with the fortepiano. Although the mechanism is barely audible, which is a big plus, the sound is, well, yes,  tiny and clangy, no match for Haefliger's superb voice. But if one makes allowance for that, these two discs are desert island stuff. I can hardly wait to hear Winterreise and Schwanengesang by the same team (have them too, scheduled for the coming weekend).
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

Note that Haefliger recorded a "Müllerin" already ca. 1970 in somewhat fresher voice with Werba on (modern) piano. It used to be on a cheap Sony essential classics disc.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

amw

There's also all three Schubert cycles with modern piano in here (plus a good deal of other stuff):

I'm in the opposite boat as Florestan, don't like the steinway as much as the Hammerflügel, but Haefliger is definitely in better form with significantly less audible strain. He's still a pretty great singer in either one though.

Jo498

I had not been aware of these 1950/60s recordings. They have either never been on CD or only in Japan or only very briefly 30 years ago or so. Certainly an interesting box. (Haefliger was also a pretty good Bach evangelist on some 50s/60s recordings.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

They use the same type of guitar that Schubert owned. They say that the two piano sonatas are particularly suitable for guitar transcription. The keys have been changed to make the music playable.

So is anything gained by the transcriptions, apart from the pleasure of hearing the music played with some guitar effects like harmonics and bent notes? No, but it's not disagreeable. Is anything lost? Yes - the percussive quality of piano, which helps to give the music in the right hands an edginess. And the guitar timbres are uniform in all registers, so the contrapuntal aspect is not particularly brought out. Nevertheless, as I said, it is not disagreeable.

Handelian

No question in my mind what is the most mesmeric account of Wintereisse on disc. Complete with coughs from bronchial audience but what a performance! A weird madness haunts the voice as Schreier goes through all the emotions on his journey, fabulously accompanied by Richter.

staxomega

Quote from: Handelian on November 06, 2020, 01:39:26 AM

No question in my mind what is the most mesmeric account of Wintereisse on disc. Complete with coughs from bronchial audience but what a performance! A weird madness haunts the voice as Schreier goes through all the emotions on his journey, fabulously accompanied by Richter.

I think Richter only let the sick and dying into his concerts. Even if there was no afterlife they'd have at least heard god.

vers la flamme

Quote from: hvbias on November 06, 2020, 07:31:25 AM
I think Richter only let the sick and dying into his concerts. Even if there was no afterlife they'd have at least heard god.

:laugh: I think you're right.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 06, 2020, 04:11:44 PM
:laugh: I think you're right.

Do you really think Schreier with Richter is better than Britta Schwartz with Christine Schornsheim?

Handelian

Quote from: hvbias on November 06, 2020, 07:31:25 AM

The only Richter concert I ever got tickets for the great man cancelled at the last minute!  >:(

Mandryka

An "interesting" Impromptu Op 90 No 3 from Lena Jacobson, more recitative than aria, some interesting life and drama coming from the way the lower voice and upper voice interact. Modern piano, not ideal sound.

https://www.youtube.com/v/BRTOTEH0P7A&ab_channel=LenaJacobson

A bit of her Schumann, In der Nacht from the op 12 Klavierstucke, is also on youtube, and also has some ideas.

Daverz

I haven't seen anyone mention this CD

I'm not sure what to think myself.  I find the accompaniments more interesting than the singing.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on November 08, 2020, 03:30:01 AM
An "interesting" Impromptu Op 90 No 3 from Lena Jacobson, more recitative than aria, some interesting life and drama coming from the way the lower voice and upper voice interact. Modern piano, not ideal sound.

https://www.youtube.com/v/BRTOTEH0P7A&ab_channel=LenaJacobson

A bit of her Schumann, In der Nacht from the op 12 Klavierstucke, is also on youtube, and also has some ideas.

I'm very pleasantly surprised, this is the single most successful thing that Lena Jacobson has done! Do want to hear her play more romantic music and less Buxtehude.