The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulR

Szykneij

Quote from: DavidW on August 02, 2011, 12:57:20 PM
We really need to pin this chat thread! ;D ;D

So where I live we have not had much rain in months, and right now as I type it is 109 degrees Fahrenheit outside (that's about 43 C) and the high today is supposed to be 111 F (or 44 C)! :o  Anyone else suffering with the heat?

Thunderstorms at the moment in Boston.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Brian

As part of the research for my dissertation, I'm currently reading a book from 1611 written by a country minister named Arthur Dent.

This fits in with my dissertation-writing motto:

Mn Dave

"I hate music

Sometimes I don't

I hate music

It's got too many notes" -- The Replacements

Brahmsian

Silly question Wednesday:

Is there a dating site devoted exclusively to people who love classical music?   8) ;D :D ;) :)

ibanezmonster

I think snyprrr would want to know that, too!  :D

eyeresist

Yesterday I started reading a book of essays on the comicbook hero Superman ("The Man from Krypton"). Although I haven't read the comics since I was a kid, I've had some provisional knowledge of developments in comics over the years (hazard of being a nerd), and find it interesting to consider the aspects of this American hero.

One interesting facet of recent stories is themes of (disguised) politics. Superman is after all supremely powerful, so really anything he does has a political implication. Although he is always a symbol of good, Supes can be shown as a conservative figure or a liberal one. As a conservative he will frown on nonconformity, fight wars for his country and even undertake espionage. As a liberal, he is more of an Obama figure, serving as a model for Good and leading by sheer charisma - but if the people's faith in him lapses, he is rendered virtually powerless.

These themes are perhaps the most interesting aspects of the character these days, but I don't think they could be worked into a successful blockbuster film.

It's interesting to contrast the DC and Marvel superhero pantheons - for years, Marvel was the underdog, but, now that audiences want more psychologically believable characters, Marvel is dominant. The Marvel heroes are, cleverly, all built on a personal problem. DC heroes are more fantastical and lack depth. Batman is the exception, being an archetype of dark rage who makes even Wolverine look like a tantrumish toddler, and Superman has some interest simply from his incomparable power. But Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Flash - what are they but ciphers in crazy clothes? Attempts have been made to retroactively force some psychological interest into their characters, but it hasn't stuck.

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 03, 2011, 10:05:57 AM

Is there a dating site devoted exclusively to people who love classical music?   8) ;D :D ;) :)

Google is your friend:

www.classicalpassions.com

www.classicalpartners.com

www.cmle.com

www.classicalmusiclover.co.uk

I can't vouch for how active these sites might be.

Brian

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 03, 2011, 10:05:57 AM

Yes, banner ads keep popping up for one in my browser with a random violin babe. Whatever it is, it looks sketchy, though...

Brahmsian

Quote from: eyeresist on August 03, 2011, 07:29:07 PM

Google is your friend:

www.classicalpassions.com

www.classicalpartners.com

www.cmle.com

www.classicalmusiclover.co.uk

I can't vouch for how active these sites might be.

Thanks, I've checked one of these sites.  Looked for my age range across Canada (zero results to the query).  :D  Activity isn't exactly bustling.

karlhenning

Only "buddies" on line. Doesn't actually happen all that often! : )

PaulR

every time I do more than one load of laundry, without fail, I always think to myself "Man.......I have a lot of socks......"  Today was no different :D

(trying to get everything clean tonight for the trip on Sunday)

Szykneij

Quote from: paulrbass on August 05, 2011, 01:57:12 PM
every time I do more than one load of laundry, without fail, I always think to myself "Man.......I have a lot of socks......"  Today was no different :D

I have yet to figure out why the number of socks that go into the washing machine is always different from the number that comes out.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

knight66

One in each pair is biodegradable and so the sock industry keeps going. Mind you, these days, they seem to wear out before they degrade in the machine. Just an alternative way to the same end. Like the glazier sending his son out to break a few local windows.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

eyeresist

Quote from: Szykneij on August 06, 2011, 07:11:53 AM
I have yet to figure out why the number of socks that go into the washing machine is always different from the number that comes out.

Do you actually count the socks as you put them in? I think the socks are lost before they get to the washing machine.

Another urban myth exposed! 8)

knight66

Well, this is a mystery that I can recall right through my single then married life. What I only very rarely have observed is what you suggest; a stray sock on the floor etc that did not get put in. What not infrequently happens is that we keep the odd socks in one place and rarely get a match. After many months the abandoned socks are binned. It is some time since I noticed it happen. But right now there is one odd sock that has been sitting for months at the edge of the sock-bin.

With my son; we sorted this out by only buying him all black socks. But we had to replenish those on a regular basis and on one occasion did find one of his socks trapped under his door half in and half out of his room. We decided this was one sensible sock trying to make a dash for it, away from footrot, disorder and no doubt other abuses.

Urban-myth intact from over here.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Szykneij

Quote from: knight66 on August 07, 2011, 10:42:59 PM
Well, this is a mystery that I can recall right through my single then married life. What I only very rarely have observed is what you suggest; a stray sock on the floor etc that did not get put in. What not infrequently happens is that we keep the odd socks in one place and rarely get a match. After many months the abandoned socks are binned. It is some time since I noticed it happen. But right now there is one odd sock that has been sitting for months at the edge of the sock-bin.

With my son; we sorted this out by only buying him all black socks. But we had to replenish those on a regular basis and on one occasion did find one of his socks trapped under his door half in and half out of his room. We decided this was one sensible sock trying to make a dash for it, away from footrot, disorder and no doubt other abuses.

Urban-myth intact from over here.

Mike

It's intact on this side of the Atlantic, too. We've had much the same experience, except with white socks for my son who is very active in sports. I think there is merit in your biodegradability theory.

matti

Quote from: knight66 on August 07, 2011, 10:42:59 PM

I bought some very smart socks (in Lithuania I think it was), with metal hims and hers with which you can attach the pair together after using them, and therefore they will never part. No odd socks.

karlhenning

Now listening to The Bobs: "Where Does the Wayward Footwear Go?"

PaulR

You know, I probly should just stop cooking Chicken.....2nd time in a row something got messed up

Brian

Quote from: paulrbass on August 10, 2011, 02:02:50 PM
You know, I probly should just stop cooking Chicken.....2nd time in a row something got messed up

I don't think I've cooked chicken while living in England. Not because things got messed up - I never messed up chicken - but because it's been so much easier to make spaghetti or curries or other things.