The Chat Thread

Started by mn dave, June 17, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Karl Henning

I'm reasonably sure that this disc he's listening to today was suggested to him.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Henk

Quote from: karlhenning on March 24, 2014, 11:37:34 AM
I'm reasonably sure that this disc he's listening to today was suggested to him.

John, can you confirm this?  :)
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

North Star

Quote from: Henk on March 24, 2014, 11:31:04 AM
Proofs? ;)
Quote from: Mirror Image on February 17, 2014, 11:21:44 AM
Just bought: [Faust & Kupiec playing Janáček, Szymanowski & Lutoslawski works for violin & piano]

This came highly recommended from some joker named 'North Star'. Anybody know him? ;) :P
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ibanezmonster

Very sad day:
http://time.com/37842/facebook-oculus-rift/

And this was what I was looking forward to more than anything.

DavidW

We're getting closer to Strange Days (especially what Facebook wants to do with them):

:P

Henk

Quote from: Greg on March 26, 2014, 03:57:28 AM
Very sad day:
http://time.com/37842/facebook-oculus-rift/

And this was what I was looking forward to more than anything.

Why sad?

Henk

Karl, I like your upbringing comments to me in the past. Keep the good work going!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on March 24, 2014, 11:24:38 AM
Has John ever purchased a recording recommended by someone else? I see John only trying to feed people with his listening choices. Even, when John was friends me on Facebook he made me member of the Isang Yun group. After that he broke frienship with me, leaving me a member of that group. Very sneaky, John..

??? This is just an odd post of you to make, Henk. Let me say that I broke friendship with you on FB because I didn't like you telling me how I should talk to my friends and you basically telling me I was a bad influence on them was the final straw.

As for taking people up on recommendations, sure I do, I do it all the time. Of course, I like to pursue my own musical interests and share my enthusiasm for recordings that I've purchased and listening to with GMG, I'm always open to suggestions and appreciate any kind of feedback I can get in the process.

DavidW

Quote from: Henk on March 26, 2014, 11:08:09 AM
Why sad?

It was supposed to transform gaming starting with indie games, who had the most innovative ideas for how to use it.  Facebook will not share that vision and just exploit the technology for a quick cash grab and make it a gimmick instead of the device that could single handedly save the game industry.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on March 24, 2014, 11:50:31 AM
John, can you confirm this?  :)

I believe Karl is right here, but I can't remember who recommended me that Tippett recording. I remember when I first started off listening and buying classical recordings, all I would ask people for were recommendations on where I should go next who I should explore if I like this composer and so on. After you reach a certain point where you've got enough suggestions, then that's when you start to develop your tastes in performances and you begin to 'hear' what it is you look for in a performance.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: DavidW on March 26, 2014, 07:17:47 PM
It was supposed to transform gaming starting with indie games, who had the most innovative ideas for how to use it.  Facebook will not share that vision and just exploit the technology for a quick cash grab and make it a gimmick instead of the device that could single handedly save the game industry.
Thank you, exactly. But there is still a chance it'll still be good.

Henk

Quote from: Greg on March 26, 2014, 07:30:08 PM
Thank you, exactly. But there is still a chance it'll still be good.

I hope with you. I think it will be good. The gaming industry and gamers want this, they are not going to spoil their fun.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Henk on March 26, 2014, 09:08:48 PM
I hope with you. I think it will be good. The gaming industry and gamers want this, they are not going to spoil their fun.
There may something to this. I think Facebook is already aware of the massive amount of criticism on the internet, so if they want to make money off of this thing, they're not going to change it much at all.

ibanezmonster

Hahaha... any advice?

Spent a few minutes browsing match.com out of curiosity... (not even sure I have a full profile set up). The few women (age 20-30) that actually are in my area want an income that is at least 4-8 times what I make and a degree. Should I not take that seriously or should I just not even think about it and wait until I finish school?  Or keep looking...?  :-X lol

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on March 30, 2014, 06:21:48 PM
Hahaha... any advice?

Spent a few minutes browsing match.com out of curiosity... (not even sure I have a full profile set up). The few women (age 20-30) that actually are in my area want an income that is at least 4-8 times what I make and a degree. Should I not take that seriously or should I just not even think about it and wait until I finish school?  Or keep looking...?  :-X lol

I would say that most of the American women I've met around that age bracket have had some of the most unrealistic expectations of anybody I ever met. You're better of without them. If they're only into your money, then they're obviously not 'the one' for you. Keep looking.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2014, 06:26:44 PM
I would say that most of the American women I've met around that age bracket have had some of the most unrealistic expectations of anybody I ever met. You're better of without them. If they're only into your money, then they're obviously not 'the one' for you. Keep looking.
Okay, I'll do that, though I guess that means just looking at the site at least once a week. Maybe if I find someone interesting enough I'll actually fill in my profile and try to talk to them. The biggest problem by far is my free time; I'm so glad that my friend has moved so I hardly spend time with him. That sounds bad, and I do enjoy spending time with him, but NOTHING in the world is more important than my personal free time.

Yeah, even when I have the money (I'll very likely start off at ~$50,000) a year in about two years from now, knowing that I wouldn't even considered for a date if I didn't have the money is not a great thing to know if you are thinking about starting a relationship with someone. I mean, seriously, wtf? It makes you think, "Oh, so now you like me because I have money?"  ::)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on March 30, 2014, 06:45:52 PM
Okay, I'll do that, though I guess that means just looking at the site at least once a week. Maybe if I find someone interesting enough I'll actually fill in my profile and try to talk to them. The biggest problem by far is my free time; I'm so glad that my friend has moved so I hardly spend time with him. That sounds bad, and I do enjoy spending time with him, but NOTHING in the world is more important than my personal free time.

Yeah, even when I have the money (I'll very likely start off at ~$50,000) a year in about two years from now, knowing that I wouldn't even considered for a date if I didn't have the money is not a great thing to know if you are thinking about starting a relationship with someone. I mean, seriously, wtf? It makes you think, "Oh, so now you like me because I have money?"  ::)

If money is all a woman you're interested cares about, then move onto the next one. It's as simple as that. Oh, and I understand about the whole personal time thing. I get two days off together in a week and I really soak in this time.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2014, 06:49:06 PM
If money is all a woman you're interested cares about, then move onto the next one. It's as simple as that. Oh, and I understand about the whole personal time thing. I get two days off together in a week and I really soak in this time.
Yep.
Do you work 40 hours a week? I'm averaging about 55-60/week with work/school, though Fall isn't looking too good... it looks like another 70/week.  :'( So that means likely another semester (like last spring) where I spent my little amount of free time trying to escape reality by gaming. I don't even see how a relationship would work when I'm screaming in my head, "I want to escape the world!!!!" in my head constantly and not enjoying time spent with a date.

DavidW

A dating website might work for you then Greg.  Keep in mind my experience is a decade old now.  But it was like chat online for a few weeks.  Eventually an actual date comes out of it.  But maybe I did it wrong.  It's the kind of low pressure, low time commitment thing that works well for workaholics like... you! ;D